Recommendation

Rich Andrews

Here is my situation and need help in finding the best solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :dunno:

Requirements and limitations:

Stereo system is in an area of the house that is quite impossible to run CAT5 cable to.

Computer system is centrally located in the house.

I want to listen to WFMT on my stereo.

WFMT is in Real Player format.

I do not want a computer in the living room if I can help it. If a computer is necessary, then a laptop would have to suffice with control of it taken over via something like VNC.

There is no video in the living room at all. It is unlikely I will ever put video in it. I have a different room that has a large screen TV in it.

Audio equipment uses Hi-Z analog to get from source to preamp and to the amp.

I do not have a D-A converter.

Is my best option to build a computer, put a high quality sound card in it and go 802.11g or is there some other way to deal with real audio?

Thanks!

r

PS. Yes, the equipment is all McIntosh from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Is it possible to run speaker wire from your computer to your stereo??

I once had my main stereo in one room of the house and another stereo where my TV was located. I did not have a reciever in the TV room and I wanted to listen to FM radio and my turntable there.

So, I ran speaker wire from the stereo room into a speaker switching box in the TV room. I then ran wire from the amp in the tv room to the speaker switching box and came out of the speaker switching box to the speakers in the tv room. I used a Mc 2002 to power the speakers from the stereo room and a Marantz 1120 to power the speakers for tv sound. I simply flicked a switch and the speakers played back either room's source. The problem is you will need two amps/preamps to do this. If you're like most of us on this site you probably have the stuff to do it with.

I thought it worked out great. It sound really good. BTW, I was using DIY speakers using Mac drivers that I bought from a dealer.

Sorta....kinda...like your setup

I'm using an old laptop out in the garage with a WiFi B card in it to drive an outboard sound card into my system there. Using this, I can run KPLU at a 64K stream all day long. The interesting thing is that the CD reader in this old HP laptop cannot keep up piping music into the same sound card!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

I would go with the wi-fi connection to a laptop or PC. Then attach a good firewire/USB capable sound card ...there are quite a few out there now.

I had looked at this once too ...including using low-power FM transmission devices (there are quite a few out there cheap), but concluded that keeping the signal in digital mode for as long as possible results in the least degradation in sound quality. No need to deal with wires.

dshoaf ...I'm spoiled by where I am, I can pick up KPLU loud and clear off-the-air with my MR-67. Much better than streaming audio. Its my favorite station in fact.

While I get the local station WRR loud and clear, the quality of their recording suck rocks! Many times the stuff they play is distorted, over compressed and their commercials are nuts! It is almost as if they are running the place like a top 40 station. I have heard better run college stations.

Ha! The curse of good systems....

Rich,

We've got that here, too, where the engineering staff lets anyone into the control room. We've got a couple of pirate stations and they've got the engineering pretty ironed out. The problem is that a good tuner and system will really point out where the problems are.

If it makes you feel any better, though, there are many radio stations that haven't yet figured out how to get the levels right in their streaming audio: over-compressed, dynamics limited, frequency rolled-off, etc.

Num9: I'm really jealous. KPLU runs/streams at my house whenever I'm home. They have an excellent signal via the internet so I can imaging what it must be like in pure analog. You do need a good-quality external sound card for streaming, I'm learning.

Cheers,

David

Ok you guys got me, found KPLU, runs well on my cable modem and over the network to the shop in full stereo.
Office comp has a Yamaha SB - Dynaco SCA80 - Paradigm Titans.
Shop M-Audio Delta 66 SB/Omni IO - Kenwood KR9600 - Bozak LS300
Maybe a 20 foot run to the Mc in the living room, wonder if the tape out of the Dynaco will drive that far.
Rich, go wireless and a laptop, will give more versatility.

At one time the Yamaha chip set was top rated, I bought 4 of the boards at a Hamfest for $12 each several years ago, no regrets.

Back
Top Bottom