Recommendations for a 4 Track R2R for a home recording studio?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by PureQuill, Dec 25, 2017.

1. TR6man98

TR6man98 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good luck with your new Otari. It seems like a great machine for you.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    PureQuill likes this.
  2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I think you'll love the Otari, they're excellent machines. I love my 5050 BII.

PureQuill likes this.
  3. revox-b77

revox-b77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice buy, you will enjoy it. Better yet, you also have someone to service it.

PureQuill likes this.
  4. PureQuill

PureQuill AK Member Subscriber

27331563_1654641607929711_6193595503257104667_n.jpg Just heard this from the tech "Otari 5050II 4 channel. Newly relapped heads by JRF, a minor tweaking of the eq and bias from when I sent them in, flat to 20Khz now on all channels. test run for a couple of days, then to box it up and ship it out!
    Now to educate myself on analog tape!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Jonny Ramone

Jonny Ramone Super Member

Saw that. If I hadn't got the Crown, I would have got one of those.

6. PureQuill

PureQuill AK Member Subscriber

Well I ordered four reels of10 1/2 " tape and a Manley Labs "Force" 4 channel tube mic preamp.....
    Down the tubes and tape rabbit hole I go!
    Now I only need about $10K in German microphones to compleate my "Grand Delusion" LOL!

https://www.manley.com/pro/mfrc Force.png

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  7. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

I know the top of the line Ampex and Studers should be disregarded, and agree the 440C was much easier to service. Its a shame Revox didn't make a PR 99 or A700 in 4 channel. Thats why I recommended the TASCAM. The Ampex ATR 700 was a TASCAM machine with an Ampex name plate. All R2R need trained techs to keep them running. Its a dead technology and finding senior techs that understand them and have experience repairing them is always a challenge.

8. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

The ReVox PR 99 was designed for broadcast work. Typical on air and FM and AM automation workhorse and built to be reliable. The A 700 was a junior B 67 relative and the high end ReVox. These machines were meant for mono and Stereo. Studer nor Revox made narrow format multitrack machines until their last, they built professional grade solutions. Revox didn't do 4 channel until their last new design. The C 270 (which was their answer to Tascam and Otari and Fostex) and few were built. They were too expensive for the market they competed in.