Recommendations for a modern pre-amp/receiver

zirtico

Hi all,

I'm ideally looking for a single quality unit that will accept phono inputs from a turntable and output 1) a high quality digital signal for input into a computer but also 2) output to a regular, non-powered pair of speakers. This may be an unusual request but having one unit that can do nothing else except these two things well would be of high value to me. I'm sure something like this must exist, at varying price points of course, but if it were simply too expensive, I'd then get a separate ADC and a separate pre-amp.

Having something high-value and under US$1000 would be fantastic. Any and all recommendations are appreciated :beerchug:

You've asked a good question. As I found out, many of today's receivers do not feature a pre-amp and/or provisions for a turntable. With that said, I would recommend that you check out mfrs. like Sony, Onkyo, Denon as a start. All three manufacturers feature receivers with pre-amp/rca jacks for turntables. Sony has one or two models with good audio power (watts per channel) at reasonable prices.

Like with anything, determine what your needs are and shop around and compare.

Wait. So.. you want a receiver. What's weird about that?
Not just any receiver though - I had a look at Denon's and Sony's most expensive receivers which are already well out of my price range and of course all of them have speaker outputs but I'm yet to find one which also has digital output (S/PDIF, coaxial, USB, anything). I'm going to keep looking since I've seen that these two things don't come together in a single unit often ¯\(ツ)/¯

Getting a separate (small) $30-50 box to do analog to digital probably makes more sense than limiting yourself to models with digital out.

How much power do you need? 100 wpc? 50? What speakers do you plan to use?

You're probably right, Silentnet. I'll probably end up doing that. I haven't picked a set of speakers yet, but 100 wpc would certainly be sufficient.

Onkyo tx-8270, a9150, Rega Brio, Outlaw r2160, and the Marantz pm8006 referb...the 8270 and r2160 have bass management for subs the only of their type at anywhere near their price....

Yamaha RN602-RN803 receivers cover everything plus have good wattage and power handling.

Last edited:
I've stumbled on this one a few times. This one could be a very good prospect. Excellent power, a dedicated two channel amp with provisions for a turntable, and a great price.

Sony STRDH190 2-ch Stereo Receiver with Phono Inputs & Bluetooth

I'd certainly check out the Onkyo TX-8270 receiver. I've owned an Onkyo HT receiver for about 10 trouble-free years.

Back
Top Bottom