Recommendations for a Pioneer DVD Player

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I would like to add DVD capability to my vintage Pioneer Audio setup. Since everything else is Pioneer, I'm inclining in Pioneer's direction, but will consider other mfgs. Of course, new gear is what is in view for this component.

I would like the unit to be able to do an excellent job wiht DVD movies, of course, while being able to do a sweet job on CD, VCD, MP3, CD+G, SACD, etc. My scope is quite wide, pricewise, but I am looking for best bang for the buck. I also prefer silver coloring, to match the rest of the gear in the racks.

Any good experiences out there?

Rich P

Hey folks - I recently purchased a PIONEER DV-285-S and I can *hear* the disc spinning while it's playing an audio cd or dvd -- I've never had a cd player that I could hear while playing a disc -- is this normal? Should I return it?
Reed

Yes return it. You should not hear the spinning in your music. You may hear it externally from the player.

hpsenicka said:
The Pioneer 578A-S is an entry level unit that will give you all of those features for about $100.... check out www.tigerdirect.com.

I purchased this Pioneer from Walmart.com I also have the Sony 595 and the Onkyo DX C390. Both the Sony and the Onkyo sound better to me than the Pioneer while listening to headphones. Video is better than the rca I was using the sound quality the the Pioneer is very good and for a 5.1 system and watching movies unless you have the really top notch speakers you be quite happy with the Pioneer.

Hey Rich,

This is the one I'm using... here

I've been very happy with it all the way around !!! It matches up nicely to the silver era series... :yes:

Geeze, I wish it was that cheap when I bought it.... I think I paid almost double that for mine about a year ago...

Good luck Amigo !!!

Last edited:
HWF1 said:
I purchased this Pioneer from Walmart.com I also have the Sony 595 and the Onkyo DX C390. Both the Sony and the Onkyo sound better to me than the Pioneer while listening to headphones. Video is better than the rca I was using the sound quality the the Pioneer is very good and for a 5.1 system and watching movies unless you have the really top notch speakers you be quite happy with the Pioneer.

Hmmm....Interesting.

Are your headphones connected to an external amp/receiver in all cases, or do some of these players have an on-board headphone jack that you are using?

Can you describe what is better/different about the sound of the other units?

Back
Top Bottom