Recommendations for basic CD player with digital out

dyche01

"Buy high. Sell low"
The title says it all. I am looking for a basic (read: single disc and relatively inexpensive) CD player with a digital output. I have a nice outboard DAC with optical and coaxial digital inputs so I don't need a lot of the fancier analog electronics.

Suggestions?

Marantz CD 5005 or 6005 accessories4less.com usually has them for $249 and $349 but are currently sold out i would think they would have more soon. love my 6005

Last edited:
New inexpensive the yamaha cds300 and it also has a usb input.
Second hand maybe a marantz cd42 mk2 it has a coaxial output and uses a philips cdm-4 transport.

Why people would suggest high-end CD players for use just as transports is amazing to me.
See below a $30 DVD player with optical output (can play CD's and HDCD's):
https://www.amazon.com/SDVD6670-Progressive-Compact-Player-Upconvert/dp/B008MWLHX2

Or you can drive to the closest Walmart :)
You can often find upscale DVD players at the thrifts. I use a Sony DVP-S7700 I found at GW. You can also find CD players with digital outs there although it is a chance thing.

That's true. But suggestions from above where for $250-350 players. Not needed if the OP has a dedicated DAC and plans to use just the digital out from them.

If you have a dvd or Bluray player already, just run optical to your DAC (or HDMI to receiver with built in DAC.) Old dvd players from RCA to DAC or receiver too.
Price: $0

If you have a dvd or Bluray player already, just run optical to your DAC (or HDMI to receiver with built in DAC.) Old dvd players from RCA to DAC or receiver too.
Price: $0

Heh heh. Well, that's certainly true. But if I already had a DVD or Blueray player I wouldn't have asked the question.

Price: probably >$0 (but hopefully not too much greater than zero)

On my 3rd Marantz. First one a CD6005, played 3 CDs and died. Sent it in under warranty and Marantz says the parts are NLA. They sent me a refurbished CD6006 and that was dead out of the box. Just got the third yesterday, so can't say if that one would last.

As other of said, I used a cheap Sony DVD from Target into a DAC and my cost was about $35.

On my 3rd Marantz. First one a CD6005, played 3 CDs and died. Sent it in under warranty and Marantz says the parts are NLA. They sent me a refurbished CD6006 and that was dead out of the box. Just got the third yesterday, so can't say if that one would last.

As other of said, I used a cheap Sony DVD from Target into a DAC and my cost was about $35.
Curious...If a cheap DVD player along with a standalone DAC is the solution, why get a dedicated CD player?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying an old Phillips DVD player (DVP 3982, with remote - how modern!) at a thrift store in the Mission District for $10. At the moment I am running it through my Schiit Bifrost into an old tube receiver, and it sounds pretty great. I bought the Schiit to use with laptops and iPads, but ended up being terribly disappointed with the sound. After hearing how good it sounds with the CD player, however, I am pretty sure the problem is a crappy implementation of the USB interface.

Phillips_cd.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom