Recommendations for next upgrade

Elizondo19k

So, I am looking to up grade my set up and I am stuck between upgrading to a Rega P3 Turntable or getting a Rega Brio Amp. My set up is as follows: Dali Zensor 3's, a Pro-Ject Debut III w/ Ortofon 2M Blue, Vincent PHO-8 Phono Stage all being fed into a Yamaha RX-465 A/V Receiver. So I am not sure what my weakest link is. I see some age in the cabling of the Pro-Ject but other than that both of these units have been going strong for about 10 years. I think the receiver is good for what it is but as I have never upgraded an amp so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Appreciate the help

My best guess is that the Brio will be the best upgrade, but these types of decisions are best made at a local dealer, if you have one, who can demonstrate the differences to you.

I would audition the Rega versus the Yamaha receiver on your speakers. I think you will find a nice upgrade there, with a more refined and immediate sound. I would think of the receiver as the weakest link. I have a friend who has a TOTL Yamaha AVR on a pair of Vandersteen speakers, and it sounded dead and dry. And that was a very expensive AVR that was outclassed by a Musical Fidelity integrated amp. You can certainly improve your table and cartridge, however, you will not realize the full potential of the new source components playing through that AVR. So do the AVR first, then consider the table.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like the consensus is for upgrade of my amp here. My one concern is the wattage that is reported on my current amp vs the Brio. My Yamaha is rated at 105W per channel vs the Rega's 50W. I have heard wattage is is not the final word in amps but that being said I am wondering if my Dali's might seem under powered with the Rega?

There are tons of options in amps. 50 wpc can be limiting, yes, but it depends what kind of speakers you run, your musical tastes, your room, and the volume you listen at. Lots of factors. What had you looking at the Rega? Cause you have one of their tables?

Just based on features (basic analog inputs/headphone jack and integrated phono stage) is what drew me to the Brio. Looking at the Planar 3 for a future upgrade also made the Brio seem like a logical choice. That all being said I am open to any recommendations as far as Amps in the $1100 and below range. An upgrade for the Dali's isn't in the cards at the moment so I would like to be able to drive those confidently and maybe have some room to grow in the future.

With that budget you could easily get nice separates that would be much more flexible going forward. For example, I got the Emotiva PT-100 and Adcom GFA-555 I was running for a while for significantly less.

Maybe Schitt? Vidar amp, one of their DACs and pres.

The watt declared in the AV receivers are measured in a completely different way than a Stereo amplifier. Probably the 105 watts per channel of your Yamaha if measured in RMS like Rega ones, correspond to 25 watt per channel. Furthermore the quality of a Stereo amplifier like Rega Brio cannot be compared with a low end receiver like the Yamaha Ax 495. Don't worry about loudspeakers, your Dali Zensor are good ones and deserve a much better amplifier.

Hey thanks for the response everyone. So I've re-evaluated and am thinking of the Yamaha A-S801 or the A-S1100. Preferably I would like to save some cash for other endeavors and go with the 801 but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the phono stage? I have a Vincent PHO-8 at the moment and I definitely don't want to downgrade and I don't want to buy an amp with a phono stage and not utilize it.

Hey thanks for the response everyone. So I've re-evaluated and am thinking of the Yamaha A-S801 or the A-S1100. Preferably I would like to save some cash for other endeavors and go with the 801 but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the phono stage?

I have a Vincent PHO-8 at the moment and I definitely don't want to downgrade and I don't want to buy an amp with a phono stage and not utilize it.

Not to worry, be like the rest of us and have two turn tables (at least).

You can use the Vincent PHO-8 with your favorite lomc cartridge and turn table plugged into the AUX in the Yamaha A-S801.

You then use the phono input of the Yamaha A-S801 for your favorite mm cartridge and turn table.

No problem at all! :thumbsup:

The A-s801 has a lot of promise. I think Yamaha has maintained a decent reputation at that level in their line up and the phono stage could well be a decent performer. You end up with options....like the Yamaha phono stage and sell the Vincent or keep them both if the Vincent outperforms. The Yamaha allows for a versatile 2 (and 2.1)channel digital solution as well, so it gives you a lot in one package while still being solid in the analog stereo department . Accessories4less sells factory refurbs for a decent price.

So it's a tidy maneuver, but there are surely other routes you can take. Don't overlook the value of other gear that you currently own. i.e Selling the Debut pject uts a fair dent in the path to something up the line. You could keep the blue and sell the deck without a cart or just put something low end on it for the sale. Music Hall 5.x and Rega 3 level or Pro-ject 1xpression decks (used) might be within a few hundred dollars combined with what you get for the Debut. If you can tolerate white, hi-fi heaven has a new Music Hall Ikura for $650 (their site, not their ebay store..different pricing).

If you are open to equipment that is not "new", there are some very good marketplaces including our own Bartertown in the subscriber's section, a-gon, and usaudiomart. Even the auction site. While not a hard and fast rule, you often find nicer gear has been treated better by the owner so a fair amount of used gear is in great condition.

In the end you will likely do very well if you do a little shopping. You see something that gets your attention and google it for comparative value and some opinions regarding what sound characteristics it might possess and eventually you buy something. If you did your homework but you end up not liking it, you should be able to recover much of any money you invested in it.

Now, as to the suggestion asked for.....I offer you should first replace the receiver.

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to retire the 465? As an entry level unit, it is getting a little long in the tooth.

You might consider getting into the Yamaha "AVENTAGE" series. After having one, I've never looked back with the RX-A740. They are solid performers in this class range.

One can get into these in the $300 range now, as they've been around for just a few years. This upper line of A/V receiver might make the difference that you are looking for as also Tiver suggested.

Q

Last edited:
A high current amp will liven up most any speaker from my experience as a long time speaker nut.

Hey everyone, so I've been doing some digging and I think the best fit for the moment is going to be the Yamaha A-S801. While I haven't heard much about the Phono stage I always have my Vincent to fall back on. Next upgrade is definitely going to be a turntable so it will give me the opportunity to have a dedicated stereo and mono set up once I get there. Anyone with hands on experience with the 801 I'd love to hear you take on it.

Hey everyone, so I've been doing some digging and I think the best fit for the moment is going to be the Yamaha A-S801. While I haven't heard much about the Phono stage I always have my Vincent to fall back on. Next upgrade is definitely going to be a turntable so it will give me the opportunity to have a dedicated stereo and mono set up once I get there. Anyone with hands on experience with the 801 I'd love to hear you take on it.
Guess I go first... l am having Richard So refurbish my L810’s I have owned since 1979. I originally had them paired with Technics SA 600. I really haven’t done much with the system since then. Now getting back in to it, my first upgrade choice in amp was a Yahmaha S801. Poking around it has great comments and a decent built in dac - all for a decent price point. Then I read up on the Vincent 237. This caught my attention with more power and tubes to switch it up a bit. Long story short, I am back to the Yamaha. I can afford anything I want. But I also want to be smart about it. I am looking to down stream music and no turntable, cd’s etc. This is a hobby, should I decide to upgrade, I will take the steps but will start with the Yamaha as a decent amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom