Recommendations for tube amps to complement Klipsch

Mine worked really well with a 2 watt set EL84 amp. :thumbsup:

My take on that is it might depend on how you like to listen.

There are some folks who have the music (or whatever) playing in the background....and there are others who might lean into the volume more often.

If you're one of the leaners, you might want more beef.

I once had the Transcendent SE-OTL amps. Around 1 1/2 watts per monoblock but, can be bridged to four watts. I had a pair of them so I had them bridged.

Quality of their sound was good (probably the favorite of anything I've ever owned) but....the downside is, I'm definately a leaner....and like to turn things up more often than not...and they simply didn't have the horsepower to do what I wanted.

(mind you, this is on Khorns not Heresy's)

Had they had 50 watts, I'd been in pig heaven..... but at 4 watts.... I ended up selling them.

There are some folks who have the music (or whatever) playing in the background....and there are others who might lean into the volume more often.

I once had the Transcendent SE-OTL amps. Around 1 1/2 watts per monoblock but, can be bridged to four watts. I had a pair of them so I had them bridged.

Quality of their sound was good (probably the favorite of anything I've ever owned) but....the downside is, I'm definately a leaner....and like to turn things up more often than not...and they simply didn't have the horsepower to do what I wanted.

Had they had 50 watts, I'd been in pig heaven..... but at 4 watts.... I ended up selling them.

I doubt you've ever used much more than a single watt when driving the K-horns. 105 dbs is insanely loud.

I doubt you've ever used much more than a single watt when driving the K-horns

Bet you're wrong!

Unknown to you, I "listen" to my system many times while I'm in another room or indeed, a different part of the house.

The most absurd example, years ago, I was working on finishing the basement. Jubilee's are upstairs. Keep in mind, the Jubilee's are 2-way, actively biamped. At the time, I had a dbx BX-1 on the bass bins and a McIntosh MC-2102 on the K402 horn (or tweeter if I might call it that)

I'm downstairs, have my 5-cd changer playing upstairs. I'm using a pneumatic nailer, so I have an air compressor going on/off. I'm using a circular saw so I have that noise... I have my heavy duty OVER-ear protection on (because of the construction)... so I have the volume upstairs "blaring" loud so I can still hear it downstairs, through the noise & ear protection.

Suddenly, the CD changed, new disk came on. New disk was a LOT hotter than prior and the volume went from loud to thunderous. I immediately feared blowing something so went running upstairs (keeping my hearing protection on) as I was heading up the stairs, I was curious what kind of power I was using.

As I raced across living room to kill the volume knob, I stole a glance at the McIntosh meters. They weren't moving. They were dead still.... they were PEGGED at max power. The 2102 as I recall, was rated at 100 watts/channel. I doubt I was actually using 100 watts on the tweeter horn alone... but it was not loud....it was violently loud.... much, much too loud even working in the basement.

Turned volume down to "merely loud" and went back at it in the basement.

I've never forgot that event (mistake!)

I can however, assure you that because I listen while in other areas of the house, I'm probably frequently going over the 105 db's in volume. (not while I'm in the room with them though)

I finally have my Chorus II straightened out and they sound great with an AES AE-3 DJH pre-amp driving an AES 25 Superamp.

They kick a$$ with two bridged ATI 1502 fed by an APT Holman pre-amp.

Having trouble deciding which flavor I prefer.

Bet you're wrong!

Unknown to you, I "listen" to my system many times while I'm in another room or indeed, a different part of the house.

The most absurd example, years ago, I was working on finishing the basement. Jubilee's are upstairs. Keep in mind, the Jubilee's are 2-way, actively biamped. At the time, I had a dbx BX-1 on the bass bins and a McIntosh MC-2102 on the K402 horn (or tweeter if I might call it that)

I'm downstairs, have my 5-cd changer playing upstairs. I'm using a pneumatic nailer, so I have an air compressor going on/off. I'm using a circular saw so I have that noise... I have my heavy duty OVER-ear protection on (because of the construction)... so I have the volume upstairs "blaring" loud so I can still hear it downstairs, through the noise & ear protection.

Suddenly, the CD changed, new disk came on. New disk was a LOT hotter than prior and the volume went from loud to thunderous. I immediately feared blowing something so went running upstairs (keeping my hearing protection on) as I was heading up the stairs, I was curious what kind of power I was using.

As I raced across living room to kill the volume knob, I stole a glance at the McIntosh meters. They weren't moving. They were dead still.... they were PEGGED at max power. The 2102 as I recall, was rated at 100 watts/channel. I doubt I was actually using 100 watts on the tweeter horn alone... but it was not loud....it was violently loud.... much, much too loud even working in the basement.

Turned volume down to "merely loud" and went back at it in the basement.

I've never forgot that event (mistake!)

I can however, assure you that because I listen while in other areas of the house, I'm probably frequently going over the 105 db's in volume. (not while I'm in the room with them though)

o_O :no: :thumbsdown:

Interesting thread. I have modified Khorns and used to run a McIntosh MC502 amp (SS 50 wpc), which bench tested at 67 wpc. Back then, I listened only to CDs and FM. It was very satisfying (I had no real complaints regarding SQ or loudness or bass; on some material, we very rarely turned the volume knob up to 1:00). My room is 15' x 20' x 10' H., with the speakers sealed to the corners of the long wall (wood floors, horsehair plaster walls, two walls of floor-to-ceiling bookcases, minimal furniture, a large throw rug). Then I moved on to a McIntosh MC275 VI, and added a TT with a low-voltage MC cartridge and, later, a new McIntosh tube preamp (C22 III), which has a builtin variable phonostage. I auditioned MC240, MC152, and various editions of the MC275. To me and everyone else listening, the newer 275 had better bass than the earlier models, and was not as dark at the 240. And I chose the MC275 VI over the MC152 because, although the 152's bass was deeper, punchier, and tighter, the 275's bass was more rich and three-dimensional; it lasted and vibrated longer and resonated more fully in my chest, especially on mid-bass, vocals, and stringed bass instruments. Wood instruments sounded more woody; male vocals had more believable and more natural weight and body. Johnny Cash was in the room. Maybe the SS MC152 would be better for the vocals, kick drums, and electric guitars in "Back in Black" and "Black Dog" (and maybe not...), but I certainly preferred the 275's tubes on jazz and vocals and horns and bass strings. It's not bad on rock 'n roll, either. That said, sitting on my couch against the opposite wall, I do sometimes wish for just a little more power while listening to some low-output vinyl (275 tested at 90 wpc). You'd think, as I obviously did, that, rated at 104/105 db, 90 wpc would be over-overkill on Khorns, but it REALLY does depend on your mood and the source (some CDs will drive you out of the room with the volume knob turned up to an ear-bleeding 8:30 or 9:00; other material (always vinyl) keeps people in the room with the volume past noon on the dial). Now, I fully understand anyone who has biamped Khorns with 200 SS wpc on the bass bins and 2 tube SET wpc up-top.

Thank you for your input. I’ve been playing with my old Dynaco Pas3+, ST70 and Mark 3 mono blocks. When I started the thread I had Klipschorns and LaScala along with various horned Sansui. Tubes really tame the horns. I’ve since added a pair of Cornwalls. Sounds crazy, but I believe I prefer the Cornwalls.
I have a Sansui 1000A receiver getting a complete freshenering as we speak, with a 40wpc rating.
I’m about to squeeze the trigger on a ST120 that should have all the punch I need.
My room sounds like the same size as yours. I’ve done nothing to tame it acoustically as it’s likely a disaster with a concrete floor and throw rugs! One step at a time I guess. An acoustic engineer would have me drawn and quartered ❤️

I'm running a sweet setup actually three.
1, Stromberg Carlson stereo 24, thru Korns, outstanding sound.
2, David Berning ZH270 and a TF-10 pre, thru Korns. Very nice.
3, HH Scott 299c, thru Speaker Lab cornerhorn clones.

Got a 4th, it's not to shabby.
Conrad Johnson thur a PAS-3 thru Warfdale 90s stacked with Warfdale 70s. Interesting sound.

Dirk

View attachment 1474078 View attachment 1474079 View attachment 1474081 View attachment 1474082 I'm running a Mac mc275VI with Mac C2300 and pr.HeresyIII ,love it so far ,warm and smooth yet detailed !!
Very nice kit. Got four sets of the Hereseys in one of the spare bedrooms.

I started out with the Hereseys, which really where fantastic, but just needed to know just how good the music could get. I'm stuck on Klipsch legacy speakers. From the 60/70s.

Got lots of really decent speakers Delquist 10s and 20s. Magnpans Dynaco a25s, Warfdale 90s and 70s. Speaker Lab, and about to pick a set of corner horns. They will need some love before I can use them.

All are really really decent. I for,some reason love the corns and the Hereseys.

Definitely the first time I've ever heard of anyone trying to enjoy music over the sound of a circular saw.

I’ve since sold the amps, but I enjoyed some very luscious sonic energy emanating from my Chorus II’s when powered by a pair of (modified) Golden Tube Audio 300B SET monos.

4EA5D79D-E86F-4DFA-8835-60A9DCECD839.jpeg

OSHA defines 90 dbs as hazardous to one's hearing.

Anything around 135-140 decibels will definitely put one in flight response.

My first year groundskeeping at the local AFB running string trimmers. They gave the "option" at the time to wear hearing protection.
I didn't, and paid the price. Not because of the hours of noise from a string trimmer....but because of the aircraft.

I was trimming atop the old bomber alert building which is half buried, trimming around some concrete access point for irrigation or some such.
One end of the flight-line starts about (maybe) 50-75 yards from the bomber alert building. While under the drone of the string trimmer, trimming, and not paying attention, two F18s
quietly taxied to the end of the flight-line. My back was turned to the aircraft, and didn't have a clue.

The tower cleared them, and I got blasted. Hands over my ears, dropped the string trimmer, down to my knees. The noise level was punching me in the chest...
Turned around to look, and seen four jet engines roaring away, with a good heavy dose of kerosene.

Wore hearing protection from that day on...follow OSHA. 90 dB all day will wear one's hearing out. I've noticed while wearing hearing protection, one can hear things (mechanical) that
won't necessarily be heard without protection.

Back when I had my H1s, I ran them with a Harman Kardon A300 which is rated for 15wpc but I ran a pre amp tube with less gain to get rid of the noise floor. Magic for stuff like Grateful Dead, Eagles, CCR, Beatles.

Attachments

• GmWgDHwPQhmb0CVdyBIpNA.jpg
    GmWgDHwPQhmb0CVdyBIpNA.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom