Recommendations for used SUV? (preferably w/ spare on back)

Erik Tracy

Everyone's happy when the wizard walks by
Our Mazda MPV is on its last legs, dripping oil again, creaky as an over driven airport shuttle van.

I'm starting a search for a used SUV that we can use for road trips and take the occasional dirt road to trail heads (not 4wheeling, though).

As I get older, I really don't fancy crawling under the back or unpacking the trunk when traveling to get to a spare. So, I've been trying to find SUVs that have a rear mounted spare (like the Toyota RAV4).

Any recommendations you have or advice would be great.

I'm budgeting about $15 used.

TIA!

I can't think of that many makes who put the rear tire on the back anymore. However first on my list would be a Suzuki Grand Vitara. Find the cleanest, lowest mileage one possible. It's a 4x4, it's utilitarian.

It is also pretty hard to go wrong with a RAV4 but they are going to run a little more money.

If I were shopping I'd be looking at a Mazda CX-5. No rear mounted tire though.

My 2012 CRV is really nice, AWD and has a "donut" spare under the deck. The older model CRV's had them on the tailgate.

I will be selling my 07 Rav4 later this year with currently 73K in great condition for around $10K. Have had no real issues with it at all and all maintenance has been done. Spare on the back.

Not gonna get much on that budget, but you might be able to pick up one of these jumbo thumbs to help out with your transportation needs.

b664d6fec0afbbbc4b29afe33b422ac6.jpg

Just in case you care, the V6 RAV4 can keep up with a Porsche Boxster in a 0-60 sprint.

Sold my 2010 RAV4, with 135,000 miles, for $7,700 two months ago.

Well under your budget, you might consider a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The spare isn't mounted externally, but it is accessible via the rear cargo area -- very easy to get to. I've only had one (a 2001), but it was quite reliable, and a very smooth and pleasurable ride on the interstates. I had the 4.7 with AWD, but they were also available with the 4.0 I-6, which has a reputation for being bulletproof, but I felt a little more grunt was needed for freeway driving. If you opt for a 4.7, check carefully for signs of overheating -- if driven hot, they eat head gaskets in fairly short order. My 2002 Dakota truck proved this to me.

A really sweet low-mileage GC Limited (leather, sunroof, Infinity audio. etc, etc.) should be pretty easy to find for under five grand (and at that price you're paying a premium for a super nice one). They sold a lot of them.

Old-school MPV? I had a couple of the 4WD versions. Great minivan. Even reasonable off-road.
Do Isuzu Troopers have external spares? Always thought those were nice-looking, and they're usually inexpensive.
I think I've seen rear mounts for Tahoes and Expeditions, if you're so inclined...
Chip

Isn't the 4.7 the one that had issues with the valve seats dropping out too? Older ones could be had with the 5.2, which is the old Chrysler 318. They ran nice and the 318 is about as bomb proof an engine as you could want. Not nice on fuel though, but the 4.0 isn't exactly a sipper either. The 4.0 also tends to get clattery sounding but they're very tough.

I'm somewhat partial to the S10 Blazers, which had the external spare on the two door models but those are all at least 14 years old at this point. Decent vehicles but finding one that isn't used up already is possibly not worth the time. Honestly I wouldn't want the 2 door anyway, they suck to get in and out of the back of. The 4 doors have the undermount spare but someone probably sells a rear mount spare dealie. Wouldn't be practical though since the hatch swings upward.

Our Mazda MPV is on its last legs, dripping oil again, creaky as an over driven airport shuttle van.

I'm starting a search for a used SUV that we can use for road trips and take the occasional dirt road to trail heads (not 4wheeling, though).

As I get older, I really don't fancy crawling under the back or unpacking the trunk when traveling to get to a spare. So, I've been trying to find SUVs that have a rear mounted spare (like the Toyota RAV4).

Any recommendations you have or advice would be great.

TIA!
the rear tire rav is 2012 or earlier, so 15K oughta get a real nice one....

I have a 2010 RAV4 Sport V6. Sounds like a V8 when you stomp on it, and it really hauls axe. I hope this thing lasts until I can't drive anymore!

Isn't the 4.7 the one that had issues with the valve seats dropping out too?
I've had three of them. Two were excellent and one ate a head gasket and had two cylinders full of coolant because (as I found out subsequently) the PO had towed an overweight trailer along the I-10 between Palm Springs and Phoenix at 90 mph while ignoring the temperature gauge. I have heard about the valve seat issue, but that hasn't been my experience, nor has it been the experience of anybody I've talked to who owned a 4.7.

I agree about the the legendary toughness of those old LA block Mopar V8s, but can't comment further as I've never owned one. The point is kind of moot, as they were never offered in the generation of GC I'm referring to. The bulletproof 4.0 might be a viable alternative in a GC, but it's my feeling that with the bulk of the WJ platform it might be a little underpowered.

The RAV and the CRV are at the top of my 'to find' list (for mileage, cost, condition, etc), but wanted some additional options if I can't turn up anything locally.

Reliability is a BIG factor with me; SUVs with bad reps for reliability don't even get a second look from me.

Keep the suggestions coming - thanks!

I just traded in my 2012 v6 RAV4 for a 2018 Rav 4 .....huge mistake .
thread crap alert, but tell me why? our 2016 XLE is our first toyota and my initial impression, after just under 30K miles it, it does not have the powertrain or electrical reliability that my GM and Ford products do. very well put together body and interior wise, but that dont get you down the highway. but its apparent that toyota garners its defects/car rating by simply denying its a problem, until the warranty expires.

I meet FTS thursday for the second time in a year and cant wait till we pay this off and get a Kia (I kid you not)

cant wait till we pay this off and get a Kia (I kid you not)
Took a kia Sorrento on a 250 drive from one dealer to another to pickup a new truck for a friend in 2016 and I was impressed .Theres lots of them around here and the Hyundai also.

Back
Top Bottom