Recommendations for used SUV? (preferably w/ spare on back)

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Erik Tracy, Jan 8, 2018.

1. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Took a kia Sorrento on a 250 drive from one dealer to another to pickup a new truck for a friend in 2016 and I was impressed .Theres lots of them around here and the Hyundai also.

2. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

I took a Kia Sportage for a test once and couldn't wait to get it back to the dealership. They must have come along way since then. Kia were basically crap then...

3. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

You got a timeframe for us? It’s relevant. Hyundai/Kia have been making massive inroads in quality and driving experience over the last ten years. My mother’s 01 Elantra wagon, which barely measures up to comparable cars of its time, feels 30-40 years behind the current cars they’re selling.

4. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Oh, sorry.... this would have been in the 2002-5 range I'm guessing. My apologies. Back then, the Kia were on the same par as the Saturn in my opinion anyway. A friend of mine was a sales person at one of the local dealerships and took in a Kia Sportage on trade. Gave me a call as I was looking for a winter driver. Ended up getting a Jeep Charokee - which, I'd say, was a fabulous vehicle. Inline 6. Standard. I sold it with 150k on it and about 10 years later I saw the same vehicle driving. Talked to the owner - who purchased it off the fellow I sold it to - and said that it still runs strong but the body was now rotted to schitt....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Yeah. I think back then a Saturn was a much better buy unless you really leaned on the ten year warranty. At times I barrow my mothers car for the storage space and I have to wonder if that’s what it’s like to drive a Lada.

MarZutra likes this.
  6. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

Find 3-4 years old Nissan XTerra. 2015 was the last production year. They are solidly made and can be used on almost any trail. Spare tire is below floor, but it has a fancy method of release, when you do not need to crawl under.

nyhifihead likes this.
  7. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

My brother bought an '08 Patriot that had around 30k miles on it that still looked and smelled brand new, and by 60k it was pretty much ready for the scrap yard. And it's not like he abused it or took it off road or anything like that. He just drove it to work and back. He kept it clean an tried to take care of it. At less than 40k, the POS automatic transmission started acting up, and the dealer claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's funny, if you floored it, it would stay at red line indefinitely and barely accelerate, until you let off of it or shifted it manually.:no: When it went out completely at 60k, they told him tough shit, even though he paid for the extended warranty. Not to mention, most of the front end components had already worn out and been replaced. And, the body was already rotting out badly in places, too. The ONLY thing that was good about it was the gas mileage. It was TOTAL GARBAGE otherwise.

Harvestor likes this.
  8. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Yes, I've certainly heard that as well too. I guess I either lucked out or your brother's was a dud. Same happened to me when I was looking for a new sedan. Was looking the BMW M3, the comparable Mercedes, Jaguar XJ and a friend of mine was a SAAB nut and said that the SAAB were extremely reliable cars.
    Needless to say I drove down to the Saturn/SAAB dealership and took the 9.3T (the one with the larger turbo) for a spin and it was a very nice vehicle. Had all the goods on it. The dealership called me up and said a 'new' dealer demo was dark blue 9.3T.
    Went down and saw it. Took it for a drive and it drove really nicely so I dropped the cash and purchased the extended warranty. Within a month electrical/computer problems started and it was back at the dealership 3 or 4 times. I tried to trade it in for a brand new one but the dealership wouldn't take it back...
    Needless to say, as I drove it, warranty problems continued to come. The good thing is that it was all warranty work and GM/SAAB spent more on my car than if I were just given a bran new car. The car was on its 7th transmission when the warranty expired (time not kms) and sitting in the SAAB dealership awaiting a new transmission to arrive from the factory. Of course I was driving a SAAB/GM paid for rental. The car was in the dealership getting warranty repairs more often than it was driven... After it got the last new transmission I put it up for sale and sold it to a mechanic for his wife. A year later my parents telephone rings saying that the transmission light was on again and what does it mean... I believe it was around $50k and sold it for $5,500.00 or $6k...something like that... The biggest pile of schitt I've ever sucked into buying....
    looked like this one only with larger 'sports' wheels.
    [​IMG]

9. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Probably both. But Chrysler seems to have made a LOT of duds over the years. Except for a select few vehicles, I'd never own anything modern made by Chrysler. I was even hesitant to buy the '83 Dodge pickup that I have now, but almost nobody had anything bad to say about the slant 6 or automatic transmissions in them. Well, aside from being SLOW.:D

MarZutra likes this.
  10. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Those Cerberus era Compass and Patriots were B A D. And lately I’ve generally been a fan of some of the stuff FCA has been doing. The new Compass is cool as is the Renegade, but man I’d skip those first generation cars.

11. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

by 83 the slanter had lost 30 hp.https://www.allpar.com/slant6.html

12. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

It's why they're called Saab stories.

13. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Yep, it's surprising that it runs as well as it does in a full sized truck. At least they geared it reasonably. I've got no complaints for what it is. I normally get 18-19 mpg out of it and I've actually towed a couple lighter vehicles through the mountains of western PA and MD with it.:yikes:

stish likes this.
  14. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

I had the mighty 145hp 225 in my 63 polara and a 225 in my volare.For the op I wouldn't discount a santa fe out of the running either.

15. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

The Rav4 is a nice vehicle, but some years had one MAJOR fault, at least in my eyes:

The lack of ability to turn off the traction control.

Well, technically there is a way that most owners won't know about to temporarily shut it off. I don't know if it is even in the owner's manual, but I found it on the web. You have to do a little dance of putting it in and out of gear, stepping on the brake, turning certain things on and off, and doing other inane things in a certain sequence.

It will never be an issue for most drivers, but in low traction situations, like snow or mud, the TC renders the vehicle almost COMPLETELY USELESS.

My aunt leased new RAVs every 3 years. She couldn't see to drive, so I did nearly all the driving. I believe this Rav was in an '07 but couldn't swear to it. We went shopping, and I decided to back the car up to the porch to unload groceries. There was maybe 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, but the Rav had brand new tires on it, so I though nothing of it, being AWD. I got back in it to move it, and every time I touched the gas, the TC cut basically ALL power to the wheels every time they slipped the SLIGHTEST bit. It took me probably 25 tries of going forward and backing up to get it the 35 feet back onto the driveway.:yikes: I was PISSED OFF and SCREAMING obscenities by then.:rant: I could have pulled my FWD Ford Aspire with winter tires in the same spot, and I GUARANTEE I could have gotten out with little to no drama. If it were mine, I would have called Toyota, and told them to come and get that piece of shit out of my driveway.:mad:

What good is AWD if the TC won't let you use it?:wtf:

People must have bitched to Toyota (and rightly so!), as her next RAV4, a '10 I think, not only had a switch to turn off the TC, but it also had a center differential lock switch to go from AWD to real 4WD.

16. Darksyde

Darksyde Well-Known Member

The 2012 RAV4 was ridiculously over powered , on the highway ,passing someone was not a problem . It was smooth and stable at any speed . No vibrations ,no rattles not a single problem . 2018 Rav 4 , no power , less than 250 miles and you can feel the tires vibrate on the highway , you can see the hood shaking and there is a rattle when I hit a bump .

17. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

Honda Ridgeline. (1st Gen)
    Not an SUV, but does have a trunk, great AWD, seats 4-5 comfortably, and stupid reliable, should be able to find decent low mil used ones well within your price range.
    Best built, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned (so far).

18. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Ridgeline doesn't stand up to anything more than very light towing though as a friend had trans. troubles and had engine blow up. They are just based on cars with very light duty drivetrains.

Kia/Hyundai are only made to last though the warranty from what I've seen and avoid CVT's in anything not a hybrid as they aren't rebuildable or are extremely expensive if they are.

beat_truck likes this.
  19. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

There is also a horsepower rating system change in there circa 1972. Its not quite as dire as you'd believe if you account for that.

1bbl carbs on slant sixes always seemed a little minimal to me, though at least the /6 had much closer to equal length runners than say the Ford 300 or a Chevy 250. Those were just silly, the middle runners were like 3", the end ones closer to 16". A 2bbl /6 ran pretty decent, a lot of late 70s cars could be had with the SuperSix. A valve lash adjustment also does good things for these if it hasn't been done in a long time.

beat_truck and stish like this.
  20. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

According to Allpar, the '81 and up /6 switched to hydraulic lifters, so that shouldn't be a concern. Correct?

Not that it really matters because mine could really use a new set of valve guide seals as it smokes for a couple seconds after it is first started. Mine uses a regular 1bbl carb that I just rebuilt, but has the lean burn computer that controls the ignition, which still seems to work somewhat correctly:eek:. I'm eventually going to ditch that and switch to a 70's style distributor with regular vacuum advance.