Recommendations for wall mounted speakers

Moby Dick

Hello AK.
With the arrival of a fully restored Marantz 2265b just two weeks away, I am preparing for what might be my only opportunity to gain a footing on the main floor of our home.

I am looking for advice on wall mounted bookshelf speakers for stereo listening of my vintage system.
They would most likely be mounted in the corner on a bracket I’m guessing.

I know elac make some nice bookshelf speakers I could probably mount.
What size is the biggest I should go?
6inch?
Budget is $500.

What does AK recommend?

Last edited:
I don't have a specific recommendation, but I just wanted to comment that corner mounting can do strange things to the bass response, not all of them positive, that you may or may not be able to EQ out. So prepare to do a little experimentation with placement.

Personally, I've heard enough corner mounted speakers in public restaurants etc. Would do something different. I know you didn't ask. Given location, some used 5" or 6" two way Canton bookshelfs or larger 8" three ways. Soft dome tweeters. Or small ADS 6" two ways, with soft domes. They sound good, warm not fatigueing. I like them. If doing Metallica, not good choice, IMO.. Upgrade if needed.
Kind of music, volume, speaker tone, WAF importance, might help recommendations?

Last edited:
Some speakers that I now regret selling, the Definitive Mythos Gem, were designed specifically to be mounted flat against the wall (although the manual recommends mounting away from corners). There's a new pair on the auction site below your budget limit.

The Boston Acoustic "A" Series were designed for wall mounting. These include the A40,70,120, 150, 200 and TOL 400. The latter few are probably in your budget. There have been several home theater speakers designed for wall mounting. I'm currently using Boston Acoustic Bravo as my L/R speaker in my upstairs system. Most of this type require a sub though.

You might consider IN WALL speakers. Seems like the optimum solution for space saving. I've heard a few of them that were really nice.

GeeDeeEmm
jbl_arena6iw_arena_6iw_in_wall_speaker_1236649.jpg

th

th

th

Back
Top Bottom