Recommended cd and lp music catalog software

peet_pete

I can't seem to find any posts on this but the other day I did hit this site while searching.
I'm looking for a library or catalog software similar to the old CaTraxx.
I have not been able to update it in years as the program went away, so I'm falling behind in keeping track of physical media.
I don't want to pay a subscription for it so I rule out collectorz products. The only one I've found so far is Readerware but the process for music isn't demonstrated, so not sure how it works if different from the books.
Anyone have a suggestion? thanks

Assuming you are aware of/have tried Discogs and are not happy with it (?), I would think you’d need a basic database program/design-your-own type of app. I too have been looking for something like the old File-Maker Pro...

GJ

Last edited:
I’ve used Collectorz software (music and movies) for years. Very comprehensive, reliable and mobile if necessary.

So collectorz does have a better appearance than the other one I found but I wondered if you guys are paying the fee each year for updates?
What happens if you don't pay? Originally I thought it was only a cloud service but the Music Collector has a fee that includes an "annual service plan."
Is that needed each year?

I was looking for a local db more less. I don't need to trade, just export to excel if I want to share with someone I know. I do have my old CaTraxx tables in Access but there is a lot more to get the internet search going...code beyond me for getting out to gracenote or freedb. Plus barcode scanning is probably faster at this point.

I've been pretty happy with Discogs... it will let you export to excel, and if you use the phone app, you can add things to your collection by scanning the barcode (if there is one). All pretty simple.

I will say that I have had a little trouble with adding new releases to their database, but in all honesty, I have close to 5000 titles in my collection and I can count on one hand the number of times a particular title wasn't there.

I've started (ok barely) with cataloging on Discogs (usually just the items I buy on there), but I did recently download the Discogs App to my IPhone. I was wondering if newish (1987+) albums with barcodes is truly faster, with the App, than manually entering?

Back
Top Bottom