Recommended Marantz Receiver

A great deal depends on how much power you need. If you are running fairly efficient speakers, the 2270 has got the classic look, and ample power. I've got mine hooked up to KLH Model Fives (not particularly efficient speakers), and the setup is fine for low to moderate listening levels.

If you've got less efficient speakers (acoustic suspension, for example) and you occasionally like to play music loud, the 2325 is a great choice. I've run mine with AR-3as, and have found that setup provides all the power I need. And like the 2270, it's got the classic "black and blue" Marantz look, which I find particularly attractive.

Great replies all. I'm not settled yet but missed out out on the 2265B which went for $275.00. Good deal? I'm still hunting and am leaning towards a nice 2252B or 2270. Better more power than not but I am considering some classic Klipsch speakers( Forte's , Quartet's, KG4's) for my long wanted "old school" system.

My 2 cents

Here is a slight spin on the advice given so far.
Since there are no "bad" models in the 22xx series, why don't you see what shows up locally?
Going the EPrey route means you are going to be paying a premium price for the unit itself and you will usually have to pay a healthy shipping and packing fee on top of it all.
Who knows, by going the local CL route, you may end up making friends with a local vintage audio fan :D
That's why I prefer CL over EPay, all those friends that I have made!
Ahhhh......

Great input, thanks guys. I will continue on my quest. I had thought about a Marantz integrated but I gotta have the blue lights.

Tronhead said:
And arkay---- where in the known universe are you comming up with these
output specs?

:headscrat Wrong output specs? I just double-checked my two posts in this thread. The only mention of output specs was this:

As mentioned, the higher the last two digits, the higher the power. Once you get over 100 watts/channel, the numbers become 23XX (2325, 2330, 2330B, 2385) and yet above those are the rare and costly 2500 and 2600. In general, the higher the number, the more expensive the receiver.

This is correct information.
You can verify it model-for-model, here: http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html You can verify it on numerous other posts here and on other sites. You can verify it by checking original Marantz documentation. You can verify it with equipment, if you have it.

In the 22XX pattern used for receivers, the "XX" part of the model number tells you how many watts per channel ("wpc" for short; RMS, conservatively stated according to Marantz policy). If it spills past a two-digit number into the 100-plus (three digit) wpc level, the "1" in the hundreds place gets added to the second "2" in 22(XX) to form 23(XX). It's just simple arithmetic.

The slight exception to this pattern is the 2500, with 250 WPC, and the 2600, with 300 WPC. Those models just start with the 2 and then add the wattage (combined) for both channels. [Incidentally, Marantz integrated amps that start with "1" also follow a similar pattern as the 2500 and 2600, except that they start with a "1" instead of a "2", so, for example, a 1150 ampifier has 75 wpc (150 divided by two).]

Of course, technically speaking any specific receiver will not be EXACTLY that output; aging may affect output performance, and Marantz tended to understate their receivers' output power, and on a few models the numbers are off the official specs by a couple watts, but never by more than that.

So where am I wrong? :headscrat I assume from your "in the known universe" wording that somehow you think I am giving ludicrously wrong information... or were you just meaning to ask where the information came from, because you didn't know where to find it? If the latter, then I'd recommend the classic-audio link above (in this post).

I give another vote for the 2252B. I just got one the other day (mint condition) and I really love the sound on my L26s. Plenty of power and such a nice warm tone. I think I'm going to sell my 2230 (needs repair first) and 2238B in favour of a 2245 and eventually a 2275.

Back
Top Bottom