Recommended Modern Amps

Yeah, I got kicked out of that forum for posting about the weakness of their amps. I won’t bother you with what I found out, but rest assured that everything they make, and certainly their budget lines, are built to a price point, with many compromises.

Please do bother us. Curious to your findings.

I'm not sure I want to know. I bought one of their XPA modular amps for an active crossover system I'm building. I'm running it with one stereo module running now and it sounds great to me.

BC550A92-B170-4550-9504-62FDE7E57A95.jpeg 127349BA-B728-4F5D-9678-942EF399BF58.jpeg This seems to do nice for $999, with a fairly large class a/b transformer and plenty of reserve power to drive every combo i bring in. I will be buying 1 more and bridge both amps . 750 wpc class ab for 1k each seemed like the best new budget choice for me. Parasound 2250 v2

Ultra modern. :rockon: Benchmark AHB 2 & DAC 3 B

2efrt44.jpg

Yeah, I got kicked out of that forum for posting about the weakness of their amps. I won’t bother you with what I found out, but rest assured that everything they make, and certainly their budget lines, are built to a price point, with many compromises.
I understand that Emotiva plays around with the way they list their specs but note that anything their budget items directly compete with are also built to price points and have a load of compromises. Personally, if I could afford the current version of, say, the Adcom 555 I wouldn't consider Emotiva( not that I am). By the way, can anyone explain the boundaries of 'mid-fi' to me?

Another great option is the Schiit Audio Vidar 2 channel amp. Over the years, there is one spec I've found to be a reliable indication of overall tolerances, preserving the signal and whether too many compromises are being made. Basically, were their priorities audio purity or cutting costs?

Anyway, if a company gives this spec, it should be above 80 db across the frequency range. It's crosstalk. Many of Emotivas and Parasounds recent gear fail in this number. The Vidar is rated at 95 db, 20 to 20khz. That's an outstanding spec, and means that the amp is very faithful to the signal over all. Also, SNR should be above 105 at least. Here, most brands use "A" weighting, which boosts the number, but again the Vidar is 115 db, a weighted.

To me these specs give an indication of the level of effort that went into being faithful to the music. These days, Emotiva doesn't even give crosstalk numbers, which is too bad. But the Vidar is an excellent option. It's very dynamic sounding with oodles of bass control. At $699, it bested my Adcom 555SE in sound quality, which has double the power and double the price.

I have a Schiit Audio Vidar arriving tomorrow, and I am looking forward to listening to it. I have been using a B&K ST-140 for over 30 years, and I expect the Vidar to have much better bass control. If it can be as good (or better) in midrange / high frequency clarity, then I will keep it.

I briefly tried an NAD Class D amp recently, and if that is what Class D sounds like in general, then I am not impressed. A definite "veil" over the midrange / high frequency details.

I have a Schiit Audio Vidar arriving tomorrow, and I am looking forward to listening to it. I have been using a B&K ST-140 for over 30 years, and I expect the Vidar to have much better bass control. If it can be as good (or better) in midrange / high frequency clarity, then I will keep it.

I briefly tried an NAD Class D amp recently, and if that is what Class D sounds like in general, then I am not impressed. A definite "veil" over the midrange / high frequency details.

Class D is like any other amp in that it's all in the implementation. We don't judge all solid state or tube amps by the way one example sounds.

Class D is like any other amp in that it's all in the implementation. We don't judge all solid state or tube amps by the way one example sounds.

Understood, but in general, a Class D is a lot more complicated, and so to do it right takes a lot more effort. In my experience, simpler circuits done right have a better chance of being higher fidelity to music.

On the 3rd day of use (and I have left it idling the whole time), and the Schiit Audio 'Vidar' has opened up - the highs are cleaner / clearer and the whole musical picture has come into focus. The overall tonal balance is close to perfect. Dynamics are natural and sometimes startling. Plucked strings and drums have everything in place. It is compact and pretty heavy - 9" wide by a bit less than 4" high and 13" deep; and weighs 22 pounds.
Schiit Audio Vidar.jpg
vidar-internal-1920.jpg

The back is spacious and the binding posts are solid. It is made here in the USA - and it will be staying put, in my system.

If it weren't for the Vidar, I would have given the Odyssey Audio 'Khartago' serious consideration: http://odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-stereo.html
amp-khartago-st-plus-in1.jpg

At $995 is would be a very good value; but the Vidar is even better value at $699. I would be curious to listen to the Khartago, as it looks like a quality design. Does anybody have experience with it?

The Vidar will convert to a true monoblock with 400 watts on tap. They've really done something special for 699 SQ wise.

The Vidar will convert to a true monoblock with 400 watts on tap. They've really done something special for 699 SQ wise.

Agreed - it is an excellent sounding amp. I think as a monoblock it is 200w @ 8ohms and 400w @ 4ohms.

My Linaeum, LT-1000 speakers are more efficient than my previous speakers (Snell Acoustics Type E/II), and I almost wish I had tried the Schiit Audio Aegir, which is supposed to be even better sound quality; with 20w/ch @ 8ohms and 40w/ch @ 4ohms. It is what they call a Continuity design - Class A up to 10w and then class A-like up to 20w. For just $799. It uses the exact same chassis as the Vidar - the only exterior change is a Standby switch on the front.

Agreed - it is an excellent sounding amp. I think as a monoblock it is 200w @ 8ohms and 400w @ 4ohms.

My Linaeum, LT-1000 speakers are more efficient than my previous speakers (Snell Acoustics Type E/II), and I almost wish I had tried the Schiit Audio Aegir, which is supposed to be even better sound quality; with 20w/ch @ 8ohms and 40w/ch @ 4ohms. It is what they call a Continuity design - Class A up to 10w and then class A-like up to 20w. For just $799. It uses the exact same chassis as the Vidar - the only exterior change is a Standby switch on the front.

PS Audio has put a single 6DJ8 / 6922 in the first stage of their $15,000, Bascom King designed Class D mono-blocks.
My theory is that we can reproduce the frequency curve more accurately than ever, but most of us actually prefer a little more warmth.
Listening to Class D amps causes listening fatigue quicker than more traditionally designed amps.
I also noticed that Class D amps are depreciating more quickly than traditionally designed amps.

I've a Rogue Sphinx 1. I believe it's two 12au7 tubes were to add warmth. Depending on tubes used. I've enjoyed it now 5 years or so. It easily drives my Maggies in a 16'x25'+ room.

Can anyone shed some light, share some experience with this little guy from Nobsound?

Screenshot_20200529-154255.png

I am looking for pretty much, exactly this....features wise....for some open baffle experiments until I can source something more..."tube-centric."

I really just want it for playing with speaker builds, and maybe powering my workshop speakers.

I have had great experience with the Lepai 2020, so mini amps are fine by me. I guess I'm hoping to hear from someone who has used this particular amp before i buy one.

Thanks!

EDIT to add:

If this amp is sucking, I would love a few recommends for something in the same form factor, seperate sub out, NON-bluetooth.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom