Recommended Modern Amps

I have been seriously looking at the Crown lineup the past few days. I have a Pioneer SX-A9 2 channel integrated amp that I am using right now but was looking at adding an amp to the pre-outs and using it as a pre-amp. Would you recommend doing this?

You'll be fine using your integrated as a pre. They do have the xls drivcore2 coming out in like couple weeks or so to replace the current xls drivecore. Besides new look it does have selectable input sensitivity from -10dbv(0.775v) to +4dbu(1.4v) on them if needed. They'll still sell the older/current xls drivecore models of course to eliminate stock so can probably find them much cheaper. The current xls(I have) is fine with lot of preamps and sources I tried though.

You'll be fine using your integrated as a pre. They do have the xls drivcore2 coming out in like couple weeks or so to replace the current xls drivecore. Besides new look it does have selectable input sensitivity from -10dbv(0.775v) to +4dbu(1.4v) on them if needed. They'll still sell the older/current xls drivecore models of course to eliminate stock so can probably find them much cheaper. The current xls(I have) is fine with lot of preamps and sources I tried though.

Good to hear about the drivecore2 as I'll probably pick up an XLS1500 when it hits the market. If it lacks fidelity I'll use it to power my bucket subs.

Good to hear about the drivecore2 as I'll probably pick up an XLS1500 when it hits the market. If it lacks fidelity I'll use it to power my bucket subs.

I don't think you'll find it lacking any sort of fidelity. I used my xls 2500 as my main amp for good month driving my large reworked altecs and thought it performed wonderfully. Now I just use it though driving a large jbl 4648-8a dual 15" bass bin as a dedicated subwoofer amp and excels in that department too. I think the xls 1500/1502 will perform just as well.

I don't think you'll find it lacking any sort of fidelity. I used my xls 2500 as my main amp for good month driving my large reworked altecs and thought it performed wonderfully. Now I just use it though driving a large jbl 4648-8a dual 15" bass bin as a dedicated subwoofer amp and excels in that department too. I think the xls 1500/1502 will perform just as well.

Thanks Rex, I'm now keen on the XLS 1002. Thankfully it's black and can be used with any source or preamp.

XLS1002.jpg

I am really surprised no one has mentioned these two beasts. I will say that I have not heard them but that I drool over them daily and will someday own one of them!

Musical Fidelity M6500i Integrated Amplifier

This thing is rated at a whopping 500 Watts/channel into 8 ohms. Basically the holy grail of an integrated amp. Not cheap either at $7000.

PPqESQH.png

TiVPL3a.png

Yamaha AS3000 Integrated Amplifier

This is the sexiest looking amp I've ever seen. Moderately rated at 100 Watts/channel. Must be higher in reality due to the massive size of the transformer.

jV1wnDf.jpg

YeQ55cN.jpg

As much as I like the looks of the old stuff, I like modern gear for function (especially, the remote!). I'm a big fan of Marantz integrateds and own a PM8004, 6004, and 5005. Each has its place depending on what you're running and what size space, etc. But the 8000 series is about it for me. I aspire to nothing more save for looks. I couldn't hear the difference between something like my PM8004 and a $5000+ something else in any event.

Not sure if this belongs here as it is not even a proper active preamp, but I can recommend the Promitheus TVC (transformer volume control) as the clearest line stage I've heard. It's nothing but switches and a 24-tap transformer, and sounds just a little better than my Luxman L-505u integrated's line stage, at $580 shipped, for my version, which adds a + 6dB option, which I haven't needed. My sources do fine with 5 meter cables, plus 3 meter cables to the amplifiers.

The only thing I'm missing is a little noise(!), and my VU meters, a surprisingly useful feature, IME, especially for nighttime listening.

Make sure your amp's input impedance is high relative to your source output impedance, and that your source's output voltage is as high or higher than your amps' input sensitivity (input voltage needed to achieve rated power). Or don't. :) Took me a little getting used to running the volume at 2 o'clock or more occasionally, but that's the nature of no added gain.

To sum it up, a little less glare, and a little more air, but close. The more expensive two volume knob version is Stereophile Class A in Preamps, the least expensive one in that class by a fair margin. Mine seems as transparent as anything I'm likely to ever afford. YMMV, etc.

Thread on TVCs here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=649914

:music:

Last edited:
$10.98 for the incredible dual chip TPA3116.

Rated at twice the power of the single chip TPA3116.

What wonderful times we live in. :thmbsp:

P6280003.jpg

For low-power sweet solid-state, the Dayens Ampino is unbeatable with the Mundorf caps. The absolute minimum: no input knob or jewelry. Just inordinately good parts for the money thrown into a simple design that is nevertheless technically-proficient. These parts are run well under their limits to keep reliability high and things cool. Hauntingly good.

I've had the Bryston 4BSST (not SST2) for 7 years now. It kicks out more than decent sound quality and has proven to be quite reliable in my experience. True, you can do better, but you can do a lot worse. A real workhorse, and a quite bit of power for the buck, although I don't think it'll drive a 2 Ohm load. However, at $5k for the SST2 model, it's a bit pricey when you factor in the competition. On the other hand, that's still not too bad relative to high end fantasyland pricing.

Last edited:
On a side note, those Yamaha integrateds shown here are some nice machines. I wouldn't mind having one for a second system.

I am really surprised no one has mentioned these two beasts. I will say that I have not heard them but that I drool over them daily and will someday own one of them!

Musical Fidelity M6500i Integrated Amplifier

This thing is rated at a whopping 500 Watts/channel into 8 ohms. Basically the holy grail of an integrated amp. Not cheap either at $7000.

PPqESQH.png

TiVPL3a.png

Yamaha AS3000 Integrated Amplifier

This is the sexiest looking amp I've ever seen. Moderately rated at 100 Watts/channel. Must be higher in reality due to the massive size of the transformer.

jV1wnDf.jpg

YeQ55cN.jpg

That Yamaha looks like a Luxman! Maybe even better!

Rogue Audio……M-180 MonoBlocks

an incredible value KT-120 tube amplification

Plinius ……. SA-103

to my ears, every bit as good as Pass labs……..

The Rogue Cronus Magnum II has KT-120s and I will soon be looking for a demo in my area.
I heard the new Rogue RP-5 preamp and Stereo 100 power amp and at $7k the set they were incredible sounding as they should be. If you're in the market at that price point please check them out.

D-Sonic M3-1200S-A Dual Mono stereo amp, 1000 watts of fury into 4 ohms, deep lows, tube like mid range and airy on top. Quiet, efficient with unbelievable power and headroom. Everything a planar speaker system could ask for. All for just over $1800 shipped.

Last edited:
I recently purchased an Arcam FMJ-A19 integrated amp from Audiophile Liquidator. They generally sell for $999 but it is still selling for $778 at Audiophile Liquidator, plus shipping.

I was skeptical that a 50 WPC, chip based amp would out perform my very minty NAD C 162 preamp and my slightly tired Rotel RB 980BX power amp (120 WPC). The sound went from slightly brittle top end and over extended bass to very smooth, yet detailed. The sound stage improved significantly as well. The Rotel would do deep bass somewhat better. The Arcam has no tone controls which does bug me with some old LP's that don't have much dynamic range. But mostly, such refined sound from IC chips is amazing. Overall much better than the discrete component based Rotel that preceded it.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. That amp is a good one from what I've read and has me quite interest.

Back
Top Bottom