Recommended Modern Sources

What is a squeezebox touch..I'm an old guy but not a technophile, would like to learn.. I only have old tech vintage stuff..good stuff tho lol

Its a network streaming device that used to be made by Logitech until a year or two ago. Very unrated device that punched 5x above its price point and had an open source server platform. This little device had and still does have a cult following because they were just such darn good value.

Heck I have two of them and will never sell them even though i have moved on to higher end options for streaming. that said I do keep one at work for my headphone setup.

Izz0 described it well. The real beauty of the SB Touch is their ability to link together. I have two Touches synced together. One in the family room and one in the living room. That basically gives me a whole house system, minus the third floor bedrooms. Eventually I may have to replace it with something else. As of now the only product, I know of, that can link multiple units together is the Sonos. It's expensive, for me, so I'll wait as long as possible. I still don't understand why other streaming devices can't be linked. Maybe others have come on the market recently but I'm not aware of them.

Although the original Logitech Squeezebox devices are not made any more, the (open source) software lives on, and there are still devices which can be purchased or diy-fashioned, providing full Squeezebox experience (and ease of use) on variety of devices - from PCs and Macs to Raspberry Pi devices - e.g. Daphile comes to mind - excellent Open Source, i.e. free to use, software for PC devices.
Additional plus for Daphile is its ability to easily (and automatically) rip CDs...
There are other ready-to-use software packages using Logitech Media Server software, providing Squeezebox functionality.

Check the Sony hard disk player the HAP-Z1-ES. One TB of internal disk and a connection for up to 2 TB more.

I'm upgrading from the very similar Sony HAP-S1.

Both have great DACs and upsampling to Double DSD

Ok, it is now July 2017. My living room system is a Yamaha A-S500 integrated, Grace Digital tuner, Dayton B625 Air speakers, Audiomachine B1 aptX Bluetooth adaptor, iPad Air 2 running "my tuner" software and the quality of sound is amazing.

Thinking about putting everything together in one unit, Yamaha R-N 602. Approaching my 80th birthday in December and it is for sure this will be my last purchase! I got the A-S500 for my 70th birthday and it is still operating without a hitch, so I am confident that the new guy will be here after I'm gone. It HAS been fun!

I purchased the JOB INT integrated amp (del $1699 no tax in NY) with the available SWEETCORD power cord (extra $299 no tax) and am pretty satisfied with its power, punch, pace, clarity and dynamics.
Have read elsewhere others noticed a bass boost/boom around 60hz, which I don't hear (my speakers 89db, go down to 24hz).
This is a Good value to me... any thoughts or comments from other adventurous owners would be appreciated.. and if you have applied any other changes or acillaries to "improve your sound" - please share. Thanks!

The raspberry pi with a decent dac "hat" might be a cost effective option - for the electronics enthusiast.

August 2018. My living room system is running the Yamaha R-N402 and KEF Q300 speakers. I backed off from the Yamaha R-N 602 at my wife’s request. Lovely sound! The R-N 402 has been discontinued and the R-N 303 has taken its place in the lineup.

I have noticed that Grace Digital has drastically reduced their lineup, that is a shame. I am still using their tuner in my study with my Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp.

Bought a second Sony HAP-Z1ES player.

You might still be able to find one in 120 vac new in box.

Just got my second BlueSound Vault 2 after my first one conked out from 6 years of heavy use. I downloaded my 35,000 plus songs (took 27 straight hours) and sounds even better than before. Best investment I ever made!

Lumin T3 Network Audio Player. No detailed review needed. Just listen to one in a good system and you'll realize why.

Last edited:
Well...to deal with the question on its face, and to also reveal my being slow to the show in almost every instance over the course of my life to date, I must say that having just recently purchased an iPad, and having accessed a few streaming services over the past week, I am really blown away by the quality of sound that gets (or can get) reproduced. Having - for example - been accessing SiriuxXM radio for several years via satellite receivers (in home and auto), I can say that streaming is vastly superior in terms of SQ. Obviously the real discovery here is the quality of the streamed signal and not so much the iPad itself...yet it has opened another audio door for me.

Cheers!

Well...to deal with the question on its face, and to also reveal my being slow to the show in almost every instance over the course of my life to date, I must say that having just recently purchased an iPad, and having accessed a few streaming services over the past week, I am really blown away by the quality of sound that gets (or can get) reproduced. Having - for example - been accessing SiriuxXM radio for several years via satellite receivers (in home and auto), I can say that streaming is vastly superior in terms of SQ. Obviously the real discovery here is the quality of the streamed signal and not so much the iPad itself...yet it has opened another audio door for me.

Cheers!
I used a laptop until my wife surprised me with an iPad on my birthday a couple of years ago. It's much less cumbersome to use and is used exclusively for streaming. And I agree, the sound quality of streamed music has come quite a way and can now surpass CD quality in my system.

Back
Top Bottom