1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Modern Sources

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Bigerik, May 2, 2012.

1. 4Play

4Play Super Member

The network audio player has been the best investment I have made towards my audio system. You have over 20,000 channels at your disposal. You can search by Genre or Location. You not only get music, but you can choose between news, sports, talk radio, and a whole lot more. The network audio player is AirPlay compatible, which allows you to stream your music from your computer or external hard drive. You can also access Rhapsody, Spotify, Pandora subscription channels.

Forget the laptop, forget the Squeezebox, the network audio player will become the most important component to add to any audio system. :music:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. martind28

martind28 Member

What is a squeezebox touch..I'm an old guy but not a technophile, would like to learn.. I only have old tech vintage stuff..good stuff tho lol

3. izz0

izz0 New Member

Its a network streaming device that used to be made by Logitech until a year or two ago. Very unrated device that punched 5x above its price point and had an open source server platform. This little device had and still does have a cult following because they were just such darn good value.

Heck I have two of them and will never sell them even though i have moved on to higher end options for streaming. that said I do keep one at work for my headphone setup.

4. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

Izz0 described it well. The real beauty of the SB Touch is their ability to link together. I have two Touches synced together. One in the family room and one in the living room. That basically gives me a whole house system, minus the third floor bedrooms. Eventually I may have to replace it with something else. As of now the only product, I know of, that can link multiple units together is the Sonos. It's expensive, for me, so I'll wait as long as possible. I still don't understand why other streaming devices can't be linked. Maybe others have come on the market recently but I'm not aware of them.

5. den_HR

den_HR New Member

Although the original Logitech Squeezebox devices are not made any more, the (open source) software lives on, and there are still devices which can be purchased or diy-fashioned, providing full Squeezebox experience (and ease of use) on variety of devices - from PCs and Macs to Raspberry Pi devices - e.g. Daphile comes to mind - excellent Open Source, i.e. free to use, software for PC devices.
    Additional plus for Daphile is its ability to easily (and automatically) rip CDs...
    There are other ready-to-use software packages using Logitech Media Server software, providing Squeezebox functionality.

6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well Daphile has a new version out. It is nice they are tweaking and still updating it. It sounds even better now.

7. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Check the Sony hard disk player the HAP-Z1-ES. One TB of internal disk and a connection for up to 2 TB more.

I'm upgrading from the very similar Sony HAP-S1.

Both have great DACs and upsampling to Double DSD

8. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ok, it is now July 2017. My living room system is a Yamaha A-S500 integrated, Grace Digital tuner, Dayton B625 Air speakers, Audiomachine B1 aptX Bluetooth adaptor, iPad Air 2 running "my tuner" software and the quality of sound is amazing.

Thinking about putting everything together in one unit, Yamaha R-N 602. Approaching my 80th birthday in December and it is for sure this will be my last purchase! I got the A-S500 for my 70th birthday and it is still operating without a hitch, so I am confident that the new guy will be here after I'm gone. It HAS been fun!

Glennis53., ronscat and Vegemite like this.
  9. vintagedad53

vintagedad53 New Member

I purchased the JOB INT integrated amp (del $1699 no tax in NY) with the available SWEETCORD power cord (extra $299 no tax) and am pretty satisfied with its power, punch, pace, clarity and dynamics.
    Have read elsewhere others noticed a bass boost/boom around 60hz, which I don't hear (my speakers 89db, go down to 24hz).
    This is a Good value to me... any thoughts or comments from other adventurous owners would be appreciated.. and if you have applied any other changes or acillaries to "improve your sound" - please share. Thanks!

10. hifix

hifix Active Member

The raspberry pi with a decent dac "hat" might be a cost effective option - for the electronics enthusiast.

11. sfseay

sfseay Active Member

Lumin U1 Network Audio Player connected to a good DAC

12. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

August 2018. My living room system is running the Yamaha R-N402 and KEF Q300 speakers. I backed off from the Yamaha R-N 602 at my wife’s request. Lovely sound! The R-N 402 has been discontinued and the R-N 303 has taken its place in the lineup.

I have noticed that Grace Digital has drastically reduced their lineup, that is a shame. I am still using their tuner in my study with my Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp.