Recommended Modern Speakers

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Bigerik, May 2, 2012.

1. DubChord

DubChord AK Subscriber Subscriber

For budget bookshelves, I think the PSB Alpha B1 is a terrific speaker... They are no longer the "new hotness" in that crowded segment of the market, with the buzz more recently around Elac etc. But 8 months ago, I paid a whopping $170 on a nearly new pair for my secondary system... and my kitchen is rockin'!
    At the $2k mark, I can't really find fault w/ my new Ryan R610s. After 200 hrs of break-in, and about 10-15 hrs of subsequent listening in a tough room (acoustic treatments still very much a work in progress) they are pretty amazing. And I really like their understated cosmetics. if they were a musician, they wouldn't be a flashy frontman. They'd be the behind the scenes (but in demand) session player, who walks into the studio... kills it in one take... and moves on to the next session.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    TedNeu likes this.
  2. stamir

stamir New Member

I started with Wharfedale Jade 5. Sweet sound, amazing bass articulation, immense power and unbelievably easy on the ears. Often go overlooked but their overall sound is amazing.
    I sold them to a friend and got the new Heco Direkt. What can i say? Almost everything else, i mean other speakers, now sound lifeless. There is a speed and attack i never knew it's possible. The bass extension is huge, it rattles and shakes my large room 35 m2 with 3.5 high ceiling). The mids are very "direkt" and the highs are from another world. The overall sound is not clinical or fatiguing but there is an incredible

3. stamir

stamir New Member

I started with Wharfedale Jade 5. Sweet sound, amazing bass articulation, immense power and unbelievably easy on the ears. Often go overlooked but their overall sound is amazing.
    I sold them to a friend and got the new Heco Direkt, in black. What can i say? Almost everything else, i mean other speakers, now sound lifeless. There is a speed and attack i never knew it's possible. The bass extension is huge, very deep, it rattles and shakes my large room 35 m2 with 3.5 high ceiling). The mids are very "direkt" and the highs are from another world. The overall sound is not clinical or fatiguing but there is an incredible amount of detail. The music is presented in a whole different manner compared to the usual modern speakers.
    And they go very, very loud without effort and most important, without any sign of distortion. they don't bring the artist into the room but they do kind off make you believe you are there.
    The Direkts need a warmer amplifier I believe. It sounds great with my Audiolab 8200CDQ pre-amp and 2 x Audiolab 8200M monoblocks but I tried them with an old Kenwood on mosfets and sounded much better. the detail and speed still there but the sound became somehow fuller and more rounded.

I also recommend the Spendor A5. I have a pair of these in Walnut finish. There is no other speaker in my opinion that sound as sweet as this one. I swap between the Direkt and A5 every now and then just for fun and for the sake of a change. The best I heard from Spendor A5 was when driven by a Sugden A21SE in a medium to large room (about 20-24 m2) at a dealer shop.

sorry for duble posting but the first one was from my phone and something crashed midway

Burgunder likes this.
  4. KG_Jag

KG_Jag New Member

Agreed. My number 1 multi-channel systems are anchored by the Silver 8. In one system I use the Silver Center and in the other a Silver 6 as the center channel. Am just about to pair vintage late 70's Sony and Sansui high powered receivers with a pair of Silver 6's and a pair of Silver 2's. That should be fun.