Recommended Modern Speakers

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Bigerik, May 2, 2012.

1. spridle

spridle Member

After listening to everything I could find I settled on Martin Logan Motion 20's. I like the size and looks, and I think they sound terrific. I was really disappointed in the B&W 683 S2, because I have 601 S3 bookshelves. I thought that would be a major no brainer, but the highs just weren't there on the 683's, or the Monitor Audio Silver 6 for that matter. The Monitor Audios are really nice looking, but the B&W's are just huge, with what looks like yards of black vinyl on a black spray painted piece of plywood they called a "plynth." So I was disappointed with the Brits this time around.

I liked the Triton 7, but I have a cat, and that sock that covers it would be a scratching post/hair magnet. It seems like a look really made for home theater, where the flat black of the sock would really disappear in the dark. They sound really nice, though. I liked the Revel F35 quite a bit, but the Martin Logan just had more bite on guitars, and that's the kind of music I usually listen to. The thing is, at this price range the competition is really stiff. All these speakers sound good, but some do some things better than others. Looks really start to play a part because they all sound good. The only ones I heard I flat out didn't like were Definitive. There were literally entire guitar parts in some songs that just disappeared. They were really muddy and seemed kind of tubby in the bass. Every other brand I heard I could easily understand someone buying them and liking them, but not those.

I checked some of the online brands, but that's just not for me. A lot of them really seem to be cabinet makers, sourcing drivers from other companies. That's certainly not an indication of bad sound or anything, but it's not what I was looking for. Martin Logan answered any of my questions the salesman couldn't answer for me within hours, so I'm feeling good about my purchase, and liking the sound very much.

2. fsdaron

fsdaron AK Subscriber Subscriber

LSA 1 is a great bookshelf speaker.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

At The Show a couple of weeks ago I got a chance to listen to the Spatial M3's.
    [​IMG]
    (Not my pic)

Great sounding for the price.

They disappeared in the room, holographic imaging, tonally balanced from top to bottom (they dig deep).

4. mjkerpan

mjkerpan New Member

Well, I just gave my new Pioneer BS-22s a workout and I thoroughly recommend then. To my ears, they sound great across all frequencies and I'm puzzled as to the voodoo involved in making them have such decent bass from such a small box. I can't think of a better way to spend $125, honestly.

5. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I could - the newer ones Andrew Jones has designed. Even he said these are way better than the Pioneer's.

Elac B4

hero_B4-FRONT-1500x800.jpg

D/\NE and stish like this.
  6. mjkerpan

mjkerpan New Member

Well, they're more than $125, so I stand by my statement. ;)

7. woofmytweets

woofmytweets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Love my Amphion Creons. awesome sounding, very stylish, and they go down very low (32Hz) for something with such a narrow footprint.

8. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR $89-$99: Great in the living room with the joint Evan/Stacey system that the turntable is hooked up to. However the dark/warm sound is not my cup of tea. I wouldn't personal buy another pair of Andrew Jones speakers. They're good but they're not my preference.

Dayton Audio B652 AIR $50: I just purchased these to modify, and modified they're awesome, though the $50 price point turned into a $100 price point. That tweeter really is something special and combined with a woofer that can actually articulate lower notes properly you have a great set of nearfield speakers, or a great pair of stand mounts to cross over with a sub. In the week that I listened to them stock I was very impressed with how coherent and involving they were even though you could audibly hear their imperfections as measured by the blogger noaudiophile. It's as if Dayton read Steve Mejia's Stereophile review of the original B652 and asked themselves 1) What is he smoking? and 2) Can we actually make the B652 sound like that?

Future?

I am very, very interested in the new Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitor. It's a ready-made version of the Dayton BR-1 speaker kit with crossover modifications sold for $195.

9. spooon

spooon Member

I'm not in a rush to get new speakers right now, but my Dynaco A25's don't quite do some of my music justice, I feel. I listen to a lot of metal; think Sabbath or Melvins or Kyuss, and newer stuff like Graves At Sea or Boris or Pallbearer.

Any general recommendations; speakers to keep an eye out for? Googling I found people recommending Cerwin Vegas, but I would need to listen to them myself. In most cases, it seemed to me that the people reviewing them like to have their walls shake when they're listen to music. I just want speakers that will sound good with metal; that doesn't mean I want earthquake volume. I guess I just get a bit wary when I see speakers praised for their volume. Lot's of people have systems in their car that are really loud... but they sound like garbage. Maybe that doesn't apply so much to home stereos, but that's where my bias stems from.

Edit: My amp is a pioneer a-71. Don't plan on replacing that any time soon. Just says 670W on the back, and a google search told me 120WPC.

10. Rach3maninoff

Rach3maninoff Speaker Magnate

I've had my A25's for the last 26 of their 41 years, and 2 years ago, when I was thinking to replace them, I opted to replace the caps in them first. It has made all the difference in the world - these old speakers now reproduce with an authority that I hadn't heard in years!

11. spooon

spooon Member

I'll try that first. The woofer on one of them is slightly blown as well, so I'm waiting for a replacement to pop up on ebay.

12. slowpat

slowpat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I love my ProAc Response 3.8's. They are my main 2 channel speakers driven by a McIntosh MC252. No boominess in bass, and they go low, and the silk dome tweeter is smooth and non-fatiquing. For bookshelf, I decided to keep the Revel M20's after comparing them to the B&W 805 Nautilus. The 805s were not too dynamic in my setting. I always wanted a pair of the Revel M22, but when the M20 came up for sale locally, I settled for them. These speakers are not the current models but are modern classics in my book, and are very affordable when you find them.

13. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

If I had the coin - these would be mine B&W 804 D3 - I heard a pair and all I can say is WOW!!!!

[​IMG]

14. Ken Mitchell

Ken Mitchell New Member

Those are really nice sounding speakers. I've heard they really need a custom plinth though because they're a bit tippy with much of its 73 pound weight above knee height. Go one model up and you get the outboard casters with spikes rig.

At the price of those I'd be auditioning the Aerial 7T along with them. I'm lucky to have a dealer who stocks and sells both.

Tbomb25 likes this.
  15. Tbomb25

Tbomb25 Active Member

Im puzzled why I see people recommend the Pioneers next to $500+ speakers on these forums all the time, their good for their price that's about all, they are no giant killers not even close...

Ken Mitchell likes this.
  16. Ken Mitchell

Ken Mitchell New Member

I think it's mainly because they outperform almost anything else in their price and size range. At least the Andrew Jones version does.

stish likes this.
  17. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

You mean the Pioneer speakers are dark and warm? I did not get that impression at all with the new ELAC line. Perhaps they are voiced differently? I heard the UB5 at AXPONA and they were anything but dark and warm. Bass was plentiful for such a small cabinet (Jones used a track from a group called Deadmau5 that physically blew the curtains around behind the speakers :D ), but mids and highs were quite clear. I'd even say these leaned towards the brighter side of things.

I have heard the Response D48R...I am normally a planar speaker type, but these I could quite easily live with. If only I could get over the $11k price tag. :D

18. Johnny 007

Johnny 007 Active Member

Recommended speakers? Let's see. I'm currently listening to some Magnepan 1.7s that I like a lot. In another system I have some B&W 805 Nautilus speakers that I also like, and in my bedroom I have some KEF LS50s that also sound good.

That's it currently, but just this morning I was reading about some of the new Sonus Faber speakers that are made in China. I'm not sure where I'd put them and probably shouldn't even be thinking about new speakers at this point, because I'm getting ready to move in a few months and I'm not sure how much space I'll have in my new place, but, I'm a sucker for speakers, so by this time next week I might just have another pair.

19. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I feel that is because all of us hear differently, and we also have different likes and dislikes in our sound.

I tend to lean towards your line of thinking:
    Or in other words, whichever speaker does it for me is what I feel is the best choice. That's how it should be for all of us--we don't need to be told what is best, or follow the fads. Our ears will tell us what sounds "right" or "natural." I have performed music, and have been in groups large and small, so I've heard real instruments up close. Any speaker that will make those instruments sound as "real" as possible are a winner for me. Then I get that "raised hairs" feeling... :)

20. Johnny 007

Johnny 007 Active Member

Anyone looking for some good speakers would be well advised to audition some Magnepans. Even the smaller ones can sound great. Right now I've got a pair of 1.7's hooked up to some Bryston equipment, and the sound is heavenly. After I move, I may buy a pair of 3.7i Magnepans. More expensive, but probably still worth it. The only caveat is that they are big, and room placement can be somewhat critical.