Recommended Modern Speakers

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Bigerik, May 2, 2012.

1. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Who would have guessed?:idea:

2. Johnny 007

Johnny 007 Active Member

Speaker placement? With the Magnepans, maybe more important than with many traditional speakers.

3. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Speaker placement is important with most any speaker type, even "omni-directional" ones.

stish likes this.
  4. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

I'll concur. These speakers regularly go on sale for under $100, but even at full price they are better than any competition I've seen. One thing that a big corporation has over the smaller guys is buying power and economies of scale. The cabinet on these is really nice, the bass is jaw dropping for a 4" driver(I've had some from Totem and Tannoy that don't reach as low) and the overall sound is quite balanced. a decent 4" driver does the midrange so well.

5. Tdk67

Tdk67 New Member

Monitor audio silver series. Unreal sound smooth bass. I run through a 2001 model year technics sa 1050 ex mosfett amp ...super sound. 3 years and still no desire to add anything. Just run the two for my theater. And blown away.

harley90 likes this.
  6. johnkent77

johnkent77 New Member

I have a pair. Great for $125. Not in the same universe as revel and dynaudio of the same size...but at 1/10th the price, trust they're a good deal.

How do these compare to the elac and Dali?

7. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

Good question, I've read that some owners prefer the Elac B5, but they are twice the price. In my opinion, the Pioneers look better though. That curved cabinet is a looker.

Not sure about the Dali.

8. Snoober

Snoober Dysthymic

Anybody heard the new Proac Tablette 10 yet? Very interested in impressions if you have, thanks!

9. DHohle

DHohle New Member

I really like my pioneer esf-73's. I think they're 1400usd 1500cad.
    They're floor standers, with very cohesive sound. The bass is very crisp and detailed, never boomy. Simple music like acoustic vocals chamber music and jazz sound great. Sometimes lifelike. (I don't prefer rock or overly complex music so I can't reliably comment) some chilly peppers sounded great...Mine image very well in my room. I plan to get a good sub one day like a rythmik or svs sealed just for depth. No 1500 speaker will probably do deep bass well. The ma s6 may be an exception... But may overpower your room...I don't know. I do know I could live without a sub Pretty much happily.. but who stays content in this hobby? :) I'm using a Yamaha as801 and its great.

You could also audition an arguably more refined bookshelves of a similar price. Aria 906? And plan on adding a good sub later. Also a good, cost effective high fidelity solution. Have fun.

10. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

I have the RX6, and I agree, they are really really nice. And they look very good, real veneer.
    I'm running them with my Marantz PM8005 and different restored vintage amps.
    The RX6 do bass very well, very articulate, not boomy. I don't think they will overpower a smaller room, they are more about quality than quantity.

11. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

I suggested the Pioneers above for the under $150 price range, but in another price range Ascend Acoustics makes some true giant killers. The Sierra 1 and Sierra 2. One of the secrets of these two bookshelf speakers is the bamboo cabinet. They are superior to any bookshelf speaker under at least $2000. The reason is they have absolutely no resonance or vibration. Most people don't really understand what cabinet resonance does to the sound, and in ignorance think that their MDF cabinets are just fine. No they are not, it's a big compromise and adds to the sound.

The other secret to these speakers is the high quality drivers and crossover components that you just do not see in stand mount speakers at the price point of 750 and up. They are not off-the-shelf drivers either. Seas of Norway, a renowned manufacturer, works with Ascend to develop these drivers. The Sierra 1 can take an honest 200 watts rms and goes down to 41 Hz.(Paradigm Studio 20: 110 watts max continuous, 52 Hz and costs around 1400) The throw of this bass driver is crazy. The sound is so free of cabinet artifacts, you will not believe what you've been putting up with. This speaker is voiced to have detailed highs but somewhat laid back. They have the option for a higher end tweeter that adds more sizzle if you prefer that.

The Sierra 2 has a custom Raal ribbon tweeter which simply must be heard to be believed. A faster woofer coupled to this ribbon makes for a speaker that can run with retail brands costing double or more. Color options for these speakers is good as well. I have no affiliation with Ascend, I'm just a happy repeat customer. I just received another pair of Sierra 1 that I'm breaking in.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  12. Mellotronix

Mellotronix Active Member

I bought a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 683's a few years back. Eventually, I built an entire 5.1 system around those floor standers. I think that they provide a huge bang for the buck with balanced lows, sweet transients and terrific imaging, but they took months to break in. They do not have that scooped midrange that a lot of people who have grown up on earbuds gravitate towards; in other words the mids are present and accounted for. Based on that experience, I recently purchased a pair of CM6 S2 for my new listening space. They are just starting to sound like hi fi speakers but they still sound like someone has jacked the EQ at 6000 Hz. I'm waiting for the matching stands which should help, but if the kick drum continues to sound like someone is thumping on a king sized pillow, they will be going back. I confident that they will lose that sibilant/thuddy thing eventually, and, mind you, I am just getting started with them, so it's way to early to draw any conclusions. I'm running them "Pure Direct" through my Yamaha 2 channel intie with 100 watts/channel. I have an SVS sub to go with the new BW's, but it's out in my home theater room getting its ass kicked by T2, Batman Begins, etc. for the break in period. I will keep you posted regarding the CM6's, but I have high hopes for them.

13. Saalor

Saalor Member

I have the Pioneer FS-52 (floor stander version of BS-22) and while they are great budget speakers - really great - they are lacking in high end. I run them with speakers A plus B with my Mirage bookshelves to add to the high end and I love the result.

I auditioned a bunch of speakers in store and found the Monitor Silver tower speakers to be my favorites a few years back out of the many I listened to (beat out Paradigms for eg.). I have not hear the Elacs though.

fredgarvin likes this.
  14. bobins08

bobins08 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagio' s that sound very nice.

15. Mellotronix

Update on the new Bowers and Wilkins CM6 S2's--They have settled in nicely! I added the SVS SB2000 500 watt sub into the system. The highs have really mellowed and the mids are exceptionally punchy. Black Celebration 24/96 PCM sounds gorgeous as do all of my old vinyl records. Definitely keepers. Imaging is good, but not as jaw dropping as my bigger 683 floor standers in my home theater room. The revelation is just how good the 600 series towers really are when compared to the CM stand mounters. But the CM's with the tweeter on top shine like diamonds in the high end, and sibilants, hats, and ride cymbals sound like they are in the room. Vocals, especially Steven Stills/Chris Hillman on the Manassas double vinyl LP have authority and subtle detail that I never noticed on my old system. I understand why Ronnie and Howie Albert's Helios desk was first call for a lot of musicians in the 70's. Outstanding.

16. Mellotronix

One last thought on the new BW CM6 S2's: I listen to a lot of prog and classic rock. Listening to Steve Howe's guitar work on an original vinyl disc of Close to the Edge was quite an "ah ha" moment for me. Guitar tone might be a subjective issue, but I think that any guitarist or enthusiast would approve of how the BW's handle Howe's explosive upper mid focused Gibson ES175 through a clean Fender amp. Also, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford's guitars on Toys in the Attic from the DSD release hits like a jackhammer being pummeled with a wrecking ball. I swear that I can hear "cone cry" from the speaker cabs that, heretofore, I only experienced at the Hollywood Bowl in 2012 (2013?). Anyway, those little BW's are rock and roll speakers, but they do require a good sub for the full rocker-approved effect.

17. sonci

sonci Active Member

The B&W usually need a lot of juice, they open up with high current amplifiers,
    100w/ channel Yamaha may not be the best..

18. Archguy

Archguy Life's 2 short 4 plastic speakers Subscriber

Missed out on these which were on eBay recently. Incredibly attractive speakers. Or is it just the photography?

[​IMG]

19. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

Not just the photography, they do look really good :)
    The walnut looks better than on this photo above !

20. Tom66

Tom66 New Member