Recommended Tube Manufacturers

BlackSwamp

Previously DingusBoy
Had I thought ahead, I would have posted this earlier. I'm headed to a large auction tommorow. I have a fair knowledge of solid state but virtually none of tube amps. If someone has good knowledge of Brands to look for and wouldn't mind listing them, I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Well just off the top of my head in vintage from the golden age when tubes ruled the first time around the following names made some nice tube amplifiers.

Dynaco
The Fisher, or later just Fisher
Scott
Heathkit
McIntosh
Harmon Kardon
Sherwood
Magnavox

A nice tube receiver is the Fisher 400 or 800 series and the Sansui 1000A.

Rob

I would most definitely add Eico to Rob's list of recommended "golden age" tube gear.

Also, if any TRULY vintage tube amps pop up and the name Western Electric is mentioned, do your best to put in the winning bid!

Also a couple of pretty common names not mentioned are Pilot and Bogen. Keep in mind to look for the high efficiency speakers that were used by most tube gear. A few vintage Turntables would be Garrards 301/401, Thorens 124 and Miracord 50H. All very fine tables !

Gee how did I forget to mention Eico? I was pretty tired as it was late. Yeah definitely Eico!

BTW, finally did the deal with Kama and now have a nice pair of Eico HF-20 integrated monoblocks home to dress, modify and improve. Thanx Tim!

Rob

Thanks Guys,

The auction was a waste of time. Had I been interesested in car audio they had tons of stuff. Everything for the home was kinda black and plasticy.

Nonetheless, the names have been compiled for quick future reference.

DB

Back
Top Bottom