1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Tuner Repair/Alignment Techs in North East?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Audioo, May 22, 2018.

1. Audioo

Audioo Active Member

Great Tuner repairman are almost impossible to come by these days. Hardly any tech i know has the proper equipment to align or modify Am Fm or even Shortwave properly. The techs around here tell me they do it manually and say it comes close. Thats not satisfactory to me frankly speaking.
    I listen to alot of AM musical broadcasts and want the best AM i can possibly get out of my tuner/receiver.
    Ive got lots of vintage sansui receivers, marantz tuners and few eico scott fisher tube tuners
    Who do you recommend

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

I live in the Toronto area. The problem is shipping costs which are usually the same or more than the actual work costs.
    How do you know that it is an alignment issue? Do you have a reference tuner that you compare against to determine that a tuner is not performing well?
    It is possible to do certain tuner alignments without special test equipment, that is if it is just peaking of coils/caps, nulling etc.

3. Audioo

Audioo Active Member

Do you have a shop in Toronto?
    Tuner Alignments are done by test equipment generators and scopes?

4. Audioo

Audioo Active Member

Techs i know have refused to do alignments because they dont have the proper equipment. That's being honest.

5. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

That is correct, if you look at the better service manual(s) they state what test equipment is necessary.
    I have a test lab in my basement made up of mostly HP gear.
    The RF sig gen is usually the most expensive, so that is usually why many do not have them.
    A scope is not usually needed for an tuner alignment, more so for troubleshooting. need a good RF sig gen with a stereo encoder. An good AC voltmeter and harmonic distortion analyzer, some tuning tools.
    Frequency counter for setting the stereo decoder PLL/Voltage controlled osc if it uses that means for decoding stereo.
    I just did a Pioneer SX-1250. Only one var cap was way out, but it requires you to go through the whole procedure to get best quieting/performance. Now it is very sensitive again.
    Sometimes they leave the factory, never properly tuned for best performance.

6. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

7. mfaz28

mfaz28 Active Member

Yes, Mike AKA punker X...Great work...

GearHead454 likes this.
  8. Audioo

Audioo Active Member

Great He must have all the proper tuning equipment then. Would he mind if i dropped in with a small stack of tuners to update and align? thanks

9. avionic

Best e-mail him and get into his queue.

Audioo likes this.
  10. avionic

I'm a tech as well (Yamaha primarily) The last reciever I had to align was a hi-band RWR reciever/tuner *.A wee bit higher in frequency than FM.:D If I needed to have a tuner aligned. I'd send it to PunkerX. He is the pro with the " right stuff" to do AM/FM alignments. I don't have the test equipment to do it right.

* [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  11. Audioo

Audioo Active Member

Wonder if Mike add Am stereo to most tuners?

12. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

Michigan is not really the Northeast.

Welcome PM with questions. Not sure my Generators do AM stereo. I would have to look over the manuals on them.

13. Wizzer

Wizzer New Member

It looks like the closet shop is Radio x , the guys that could of done a competent job alignment are gone or in a nursing home .
    Radio x is going to get my Sansui TU x1 someday for a go over and alignment.