Recommends for stylus for Shure M55 cartridge

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Tucker99, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Tucker99

Tucker99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looking for some advice/recommends for stylus for Shure M55 cartridge.

I have gifted a system to a young woman. Someone gave her a low-mid fi JVC TT and she had no other components to go with it so I set her up with a 35 watt Sansui 1000x receiver and a pair of The Advent. She lives in a wood frame apartment so I built a quick pair of stands to get the speakers off the floor and padded the bottom of the stands with a double layer of those felt floor protector pads.

The system actually sounded pretty good when I send a digital signal (I used my phone) through the aux input but only fair through the TT and my conclusion is that the cart that was on there was pretty crummy. The TT was a low end model produced when TTs were on the wane and I am sure the cartridge that came with was a cheap a one as they could put on the table.

Anyhow, on to my query. I have a couple of spare Shure M55 carts in the box but I need styli for them. Jico has an elliptical 'improved' up at $56 and I have read where purchasers seemed to really like it so that may be the best choice but it also the most expensive. I am wondering if there is a lower priced but still decent option either via Amazon or Ebay. I see some listings at varying prices but don't want to buy something low-priced only to discover that it is also low quality. I do want to make a qualitative improvement in her system but want to do so as economically as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

3. thomo57

thomo57 Super Member

I have an M55 set up on one of my turntables and l like it a lot.
    Pretty sure l have a Jico elliptical (not SAS) on it

4. ivan100000

ivan100000 Active Member

I have had Jico, EVG, and of course the OEM Shure N55e; I'd be lying if I said I could tell a difference between them. All sound great. My advice would be to go with the EVG and save all the extra $$ for something else.

beat_truck likes this.
  5. malden

malden Super Member

The original stylus for the M55E cartridge is the N55E which is a high compliance stylus and for best results should only be mounted in a quality low mass tone-arm.

A better match for a lower end turntable would probably be a N44-7 or N44E , both of which are medium compliance styli and will work perfectly in the M55E cartridge body.

N44-7 styli are still produced by Shure but the N44E is not. After-market styli are available in both forms, low cost styli are available on ebay or elsewhere, better quality are available directly from JICO...

https://www.jico-stylus.com/advance...n_description=1&keywords=shure&sort=2a&page=3