Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Thanks for sharing your custom record bin with us @Hertzy, I think that it turned out great! I hope that you're happy with it and meets your needs. Welcome to the AK forum, I think you'll enjoy it here. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Being a Brit and wanting a crack at this, I've converted one of the plans into Metric ( ie mm/cm ). See link and below. - My first post too as a noob. Wanting to build a custom record shelf brought me here and i'm really pleased to see so many like minded people have done a lot of the work for me. So thank you. And a big Hi to everyone, wherever in the world you are! :)

https://imgur.com/3Abi6hG
3Abi6hG.jpg

Last edited:
Well that was a doddle. Went and got my wood from the store, and the assistant literally made 90% of my cuts for me. He cut the 4 main panels but then took F off the bottom, then E and D. Took the next panel and did the same, and all he's left me is the 5 orange cuts on the diagram. sorted. Now i've just got to avoid bodging the assembly. ( And of course negotiate with the wife about where it can go and what colour it will be ). I've a feeling I won't be taking a very integral part in that decision. ;)
0OCtLq1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Awesome thread and inspiration! :)
Just about to start buildning my own variant.. Just wondering if anyone has a drawing/plan in Centimeters? Im sure not everyone here is from the states :)

Hi. If for whatever reason you haven't got round to your record unit yet, I've just posted a metric ( cm/mm ) plan at the end of this post. :)

Completed my first cabinet this weekend, I am by no means handy but this was really straightforward. After Miners made the 4 cuts for me, took me about 1 hour to get it ready then about 30-45 minutes to stain. Modified the top shelf portion to be higher to get a better view of the records and also beveled the divider to match the sides. I think the stain matches our wood flooring pretty well.....could look better, but it is wife approved and I'm loving being able to flip through my collection now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 270
Being a Brit and wanting a crack at this, I've converted one of the plans into Metric ( ie mm/cm ). See link and below. - My first post too as a noob. Wanting to build a custom record shelf brought me here and i'm really pleased to see so many like minded people have done a lot of the work for me. So thank you. And a big Hi to everyone, wherever in the world you are! :)

https://imgur.com/3Abi6hG
3Abi6hG.jpg
Looking for info on the measurements
Are you using a tape measure or something different?

Well that was a doddle. Went and got my wood from the store, and the assistant literally made 90% of my cuts for me. He cut the 4 main panels but then took F off the bottom, then E and D. Took the next panel and did the same, and all he's left me is the 5 orange cuts on the diagram. sorted. Now i've just got to avoid bodging the assembly. ( And of course negotiate with the wife about where it can go and what colour it will be ). I've a feeling I won't be taking a very integral part in that decision. ;)
0OCtLq1.jpg
Hi are the measurements in inches?

Finally finished mine today. Wish it was a shade or two darker, but it will serve its purpose of holding all of my country, Motown, and oddball stuff. Not perfect, but it could be worse.
57AB8248-B760-433D-9D90-8C23E272ED62_zpsf3xiitxi.jpg

I just added a LED puck light in the bottom compartment. Makes a huge difference!
Any chance you know the measurements in inches?

Firstly I've decided to build my unit out of MDF. I have no interest in the woodgrain effect, and want a more contemporary look, So I will be painting my unit. Despite my having cut my wood already, my wife has now told me that the unit is too deep for the alcove i'm allowed to place it in. Also she wants a shelf on the top for a lamp or whatever, so it's more a piece of furniture rather than something simply utilitarian. In the meantime I'm now redrawing the plan, and reducing the depth by 140mm. This will also give me the wood for the top shelf. The benefits of this unplanned adjustment are that the shallow shelf will allow me to place LED lighting in the top tier as well as beneath, also access to the lower records will be easier, also helped by the extra height offered by the castors. The depth is now that of a record side-on. So the bottom tier could be left without its divider or front support, for the more usual bookshelf style. Which would offer a visual contrast too.

The downside is the reduction in storage capacity. But overall it should give it a more elegant and less 'boxy' appearance. I'll update soon.
ZitTxBs.jpg
AjGUtSU.jpg

0ZvextD.jpg

Y470bjo.jpg

Last edited:
I've gone with the regular '4-bin' version as it seemed the cleanest design. - It's now all cut and assembled in an afternoon and i'm really pleased. The reduced depth ( to a 12" space ) is actually really neat, making each 'bin' literally square. Castors are on and it rolls as smooth as silk. So tomorrow I will be sanding and priming, then Monday/Tuesday will be two coats of final colour ( probably a dark blue/green Satinwood ). I'm also installing LED strip lighting in top and bottom tiers ( Battery powered ). - I've taken numerous pictures during the process and will share with an updated plan when completed. ;)
AjGUtSU.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom