Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Now in low light I can try out the LED strips. - ( There was a bit of 'light leakage' at the rear due to the length of the LED strip. but i've rectified that now. )
l2o0H5t.jpg

0VrhMWs.jpg

Last edited:
I'm making 20 of these for my new record store. I have wood floors. I'd like to have something on the bottom that protects the floor, but also allows me to move them fairly easily if I need to. What, if anything, has anyone here used on the bottom of theirs?

5nLTXbO.jpg

wmknkAM.jpg

cTMsoVj.jpg

20TFVjV.jpg

AgeOfAnalog I used 4 of these from DIY store B&Q. All 4 swivel 360 degrees, but I believe you really should have 2 swivel and 2 static/fixed. Anyway they work extremely well and are fine on our wooden floor. In your case I'd suggest front or rear castors that are lockable to stop them being pushed or accidentally moved. But considering how heavy this is, particularly when full of records, it takes very little effort to move for vacuuming etc.

I'm making 20 of these for my new record store. I have wood floors. I'd like to have something on the bottom that protects the floor, but also allows me to move them fairly easily if I need to. What, if anything, has anyone here used on the bottom of theirs?

Last edited:
Yep, I used a similar set of decent heavy-duty castors (2 fixed, 2 swivel) and they work great. I have the 3-shelf version (with the crushed velvet and LEDs, see previous couple of pages) and the entire unit moves with relative ease when full of records.

To whoever posted the original drawings for these - thank you for a job well done!

I've just arranged to have baltic birch ply cut to these drawings, to make 2 of the 3 shelf versions...and waiting patiently for the parts to arrive.

Any tips on LED lighting solutions or casters that some of you may have used are greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants metric measurements for the 3 shelf, I can get them across to you in scribbled notes if helpful.

Stay pretty.

@cabbages I may take you up on that, as I want the 3 shelf option. WELCOME TO AUDIOKARMA!!!

Here are metric versions.

Disclaimer: I have not assembled mine yet, so no guarantees they're error free. The conversion came from the shop doing my cutting.

Attachments

• 323 CUT SHEET 1-2 - WITH METRIC.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 323 CUT SHEET _3 - WITH METRIC.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 87
I'm planning to build something similar but it has to be at 24" max height(top of album must not exceed 24" from the floor) since it will be stored underneath a shuffleboard table. The table is 16' long so I plan to build several and just roll them out to grab a record. I'm sure I can modify the existing plans here for my needs but it would be easier if somebody could take the existing plans here and modify them to be a single bin, 24" high unit....any takers :)

Now that I've printed out the plan and thought about this a bit I guess all I really need to do is cut everything as normal but just reduce the back and sides down to 24"...just seems there may be a better way to avoid too much waste?

Now that I've printed out the plan and thought about this a bit I guess all I really need to do is cut everything as normal but just reduce the back and sides down to 24"...just seems there may be a better way to avoid too much waste?
Are you talking about the original plans? If yes, I do not see how would you be able to make two rows of 12" LPs with the bottom shelf, middle shelf (each about 3/4") and have it no higher than 24". Unless I am missing something.

Forgot to mention, each rack will have only 1 shelf. I'll need to make 4 of these, so I'm wondering if certain sheets of ply would be for sides and backs only? Just trying to have as little waste as possible.

Forgot to mention, each rack will have only 1 shelf. I'll need to make 4 of these, so I'm wondering if certain sheets of ply would be for sides and backs only? Just trying to have as little waste as possible.
In this case, you may want to raise the bottom shelf a bit for an easier access to the records. Leave room to reach and browse the LPs but keep them higher than on the floor level. I guess your best bet is to modify the plans according to your needs. Don't just go and chop the sides and back to the desired height.

I assembled one of my 3 shelf versions today, which were cut for me to metric sizes. The metric conversion works.

I have never done anything like this before and I can't say how easy this was. I useda kreg r3 jig to do pocket holes so that the screws would be concealed.

Very pleased with the results. Still need to figure out some lighting and caster wheels.

Attachments

• 20190804_145854.jpg
    20190804_145854.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 20190804_145850.jpg
    20190804_145850.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 250
Went to Lowe's yesterday and picked out a very nice piece of Maple ($50). Brought it to the cutting area and asked for the 4 big cuts so I could transport and finish the rest at home. Disaster. Blade was dull and ripped every edge to pieces as well as every cut being off by at least 1/8 (some up to 1/2). Terrible job. I just walked away. Going to a local lumber yard later this week.

Another thought.... I was thinking how nice it would be to have modified plans that included a shelf for amp, receiver, TT, etc.....creating an all in one storage/display unit. Maybe splitting the existing 2x2 design and inserting shelving in the middle...???

To whoever posted the original drawings for these - thank you for a job well done!

I've just arranged to have baltic birch ply cut to these drawings, to make 2 of the 3 shelf versions...and waiting patiently for the parts to arrive.

Any tips on LED lighting solutions or casters that some of you may have used are greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants metric measurements for the 3 shelf, I can get them across to you in scribbled notes if helpful.

Stay pretty.
Thanks. I love coming back and seeing so many builds. This may be my best contribution to the internet ever.

Back
Top Bottom