Record cabinet

ETLS

metacarpophalangealcranium
I wanted to use up some of the plywood scraps in my woodshop, and needed an album storage cabinet.

So I decided to build the top so the albums were face forward, and the bottom were spine view.

I also added an undercabinet LED fixture, with the switch under the top shelf.

The sides were cut from a 20" x 48" piece of half inch plywood, with the angle being drawn from 20 to 28.

I cut two strips 2" x 21" to use for mounting the top shelf. These were angle cut to fit flush with the front and back of the sides. They are angled starting at 20" front, to 19" at the back. These were cut to allow for the vertical back of top shelf.

The top shelf is a single piece of half inch ply, 20" x 38". The vertical back of top shelf, is 15" x 38", with a 2" x 38" strip that is glued and stapled at the bottom. This anchors the the back of top shelf with the vert back.

Attachments

• Pic-09192015-003.jpg
    Pic-09192015-003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 60
The bottom shelf is also 20" x 38". I cut three strips 2.5" x 20" to fasten to the sides to anchor the bottom shelf, and the third goes in the center, under the middle support. The middle support, is angle cut and notched to support the top shelf, and the vertical back.

Attachments

• Pic-09192015-002.jpg
    Pic-09192015-002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 38
Is the carpentry complete?

Yessir!!

Just check my current avatar, and you'll notice the AUDIOKARMA is offline in the picture...lol

Pics upcoming on the rest of the build, and my first ever lettering paint job.

Cut backer board to stiffen the cabinet, and made trim to give it a finished look. Then I painted it.

Attachments

• Pic-09272015-002.jpg
    Pic-09272015-002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 41
That's one nice custom cabinet, you finished it, great job, ETLS! :thmbsp: What happened to the AK on the front of it? :D

Here's a view with the lights out in the room, with the cabinet light on.

Attachments

• Pic-09302015-003.jpg
    Pic-09302015-003.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 35
That's one nice custom cabinet, you finished it, great job, ETLS! :thmbsp: What happened to the AK on the front of it? :D

Thanks ILV.

It's currently covered. I'm going to uncover it Friday so I can enjoy my AK FIX..LOL.

I was thinking of re-doing the lettering. The more I think about it, I think I'll leave it since it's my first lettering job.

Thanks ILV.

It's currently covered. I'm going to uncover it Friday so I can enjoy my AK FIX..LOL.

I was thinking of re-doing the lettering. The more I think about it, I think I'll leave it since it's my first lettering job.

I would leave the lettering alone, looks fine! :thmbsp: I hope those lights don't give off any heat! You said that they are LED?

Lettering is nice. Much harder to do then most people think. LED...good call.:thmbsp:

5 watt according to the package. 3 lamp LED under cabinet fixture. Lowe's had 'em in clearance for $15.

I bought all they had in stock here locally.

For 5 watts, they put out some light, but very little heat.

Nice Robert, but it doesn't look like you put the box of records I sent your in there yet.

attachment.php

Thanks izatso, and you're welcome for the convo. I hope you'll post some pics of your record cabinet, and if you need some more details, feel free to send a pm.

I didn't have all the records put in their outer sleeves yet, or cataloged. I got that done this evening, and they're in there now.

Now, I'll have to get them in order and figure out a better cataloging system.

There's still room for more.

Ok, updated pics as of right now, with Dan's box of records added, my birthday present from my brother on top left, and my neighbor's trade for refinishing their dining room table is in the middle, and right.

Attachments

• Pic-10012015-001.jpg
    Pic-10012015-001.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom