Record Cleaning - Soap and Water - test results

Snade

humble AK member
I was looking for something simple and cheap.

After researching on AK I tried this method:

- Groovmaster label saver - to protect the label (cost about $50 and sold by William Sargent, email: wmsar@cox.net)

- Dawn kitchen soap ($1.65) and warm water in empty plastic margarine bowl

- 2 1/2" paintbrush (found one in the garage)

- Microfiber towels (8 for $8.24 at Target)

- Sink in our laundry room and warm tap water to rinse (almost free)​

So far I am very happy with the results. My thrift store records are now very quiet, except for the music.

Here are some photos:

The tools.

record_cleaning1.jpg

Groovmaster in place protecting the label and providing handle for holding record during cleaning.

record_cleaning2.jpg

Clean record with brush dipped in warm water with a little Dawn soap.

record_cleaning8.jpg

Rinse with warm tap water (note: I repeated the brush with soap and water and rinse).

record_cleaning4.jpg

Towel dry (microfiber towels purchased in automotive section of Target).

record_cleaning5.jpg

Air dry for an hour using dish rack.

record_cleaning9.jpg

Before and After photos - this is a record purchased from Goodwill, this is the before cleaning photo.

record_clean_before.jpg

After cleaning - this record sounds great.

record_clean_after.jpg

Cheers, Snade

Snade just exposed our 'dirty' little secret. :thmbsp:

That's exactly how I clean the worst of my collection and even occasionally vinyl that isn't visually nasty but sonically nasty.

(But I gotta get me one of those label savers!)

Label Saver...no wonder my labels have peeled off.......................:D

Seriously, that looks like what I do although I'm trying a few ways to air dry them by hanging them onto something and not letting them get near the floor, dust being a problem here in this house. Maybe a clothes hanger or whatever else I can think of, or other ideas I can get from AKers.

Couldn't you use PVC pipe ends with a hole in the middle of both and a long bolt and wing nut tieing them together? Maybe a little Permacasket on the edges to seal up well. Cheers.

Same thing I've been doing for years and years, but I am just careful and don't get the labels wet.

A little secret for you though....

With them sitting on the carpet like that, as they dry, and static starts to build on them again, small particles of dust and carpet are jumping up onto them.

Better to use something up on the counter top to keep them off the floor and carpet.

Is it ridiculous to ask whether or not it would be better to use distilled water for this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but normal or hard water might leave behind mineral deposits on the vinyl, correct?

Would this be safe for 78s?

I think this might be among the safest cleaning methods, since it is just a mild soap and water and a the brushing with the paintbrush is less intense than other brushing methods I have seen.

I expect it would work fine with 78s.

The records sound great.

Is it ridiculous to ask whether or not it would be better to use distilled water for this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but normal or hard water might leave behind mineral deposits on the vinyl, correct?

Right, that would be a common question about this method. I'm using local tap water (warm) that is Lake Michigan water here in the Chicago area and I think it is pretty clean water, but not as mineral free as distilled water, I expect.

I have not noticed any residual sound from dried deposits from the tap water, but opinions will vary on this subject.

The records do sparkle and look very clean and sound very good to my ear.

I haven't had a problem yet. I think Dawn might have some water softening abilities. (don't quote me on this)

Wow, I gotta get one of those label savers. Where did you get it?

I tried some Rain-X washer fluid on one LP. It seemed to work damn good, the record was crackle-free. I haven't had a chance for more testing, but I think it might be really good stuff to use.

Great thread, Mark! I'm gonna have to try this. Perhaps using a spray head attachment with a hose from the faucet would help wash away even more grunge?:scratch2:

Thanks, man.

Great thread, Mark! I'm gonna have to try this. Perhaps using a spray head attachment with a hose from the faucet would help wash away even more grunge?:scratch2:

Thanks, man.

Right, good point.

After I put the Groovmaster label saver on, I turn on the faucet, adjust the temp of the water to warm (I'd say very warm but not hot), and I rinse both sides of the record, then I turn off the faucet, and lather the record up good with the paintbrush dipped in the Dawn soap and water (both sides), brushing around with the grooves of the record back and forth, then I turn the faucet back on, rinse it very good with the record flat so it gets the full force of the water from the faucet, then I repeat on both sides the paintbrush and soap and then give it a very good rinse again. All the time using very warm water.

Also, I was amazed how much water the microfiber towels got off the record. I used one towel for about 10 records and it seemed to dry them very well.

I'm listening to a Miles Davis mono album from the 50's I cleaned this afternoon and it sounds great, not a single click noise, very clear, there are a few scratches now and again, but it just sound very good.

Thanks. Mark (aka Snade)

I wouldn't wet the record first. Make sure it is dust-free using whatever you use before playing.
Water before soap can cause certain soils to adhere to the record. Soils that might get broken down if hit with a detergent first.
It wouldn't hurt to have a gallon of distilled on hand just for a final rinse to displace the tap water before drying.
It might help to mention that the detergent (Dawn) is unscented and contains no bleaches or conditioners. It rinses very clean.
Mocrofibre towels come in two finishes. Stick with the traditional plush weave like a bath towel, as opposed to the flat weave found in a 'bar towel'. And just do a quick wipe to catch most of the water, microfibre is synthetic and has high static capacity. Dry too vigorously and you might get zapped. You might want to put that Discwasher D4 to work at this point.
I like the fact that air drying was mentioned. Give it about an hour, more in humid conditions.

Back
Top Bottom