Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photoflo/triton/Dawn etc are all used as surfactants only as far as I know. I've heard Jet-Dri (used as an additive in dishwashing machines) performs that same function, and has fewer impurities than other products one might find at the local drug store. Any comments on that?

Photoflo/triton/Dawn etc are all used as surfactants only as far as I know. I've heard Jet-Dri (used as an additive in dishwashing machines) performs that same function, and has fewer impurities than other products one might find at the local drug store. Any comments on that?
Detergent=surfactant. Whoa, Jetdri is mostly Citric Acid and has a pH of 1. You're killing me Kirk!

I thought surfactants were used as a wetting agent. I understand surfactants may function as detergents, but are all detergents surfactants?

As far as the Jet-Dri question (assuming you're still alive) not sure what you are saying as far as Ph. Is it an effective wetting agent?

Tough Crowd on AK! As long as you take the time to clean LP's and keep the dust off them and whether it's with just a Anti Static brush or like in the old days at the radio station just wipe it down with water and dry it and play it. As long as it's clean and you are happy.

photographer for 25 years, photo-flo is the last thing id ever use unless you were drying with a hairdryer...if it air drys it will leave a residue...

It's being vacuumed off, and there is only about 10 drops in 16 ounces of fluid.

I have been using the paint "cut-in" pads on my DIY RCM for a long time now with excellent results. And the fact that it is wide enough to cover the whole record makes the scrubbing process much faster.
IMG_8661_zpsc31b2c54.jpg

IMG_8666_zpsdc0dc4c3.jpg

Please say there is a build thread somewhere for this.

-D

I have been using the paint "cut-in" pads on my DIY RCM for a long time now with excellent results. And the fact that it is wide enough to cover the whole record makes the scrubbing process much faster.
IMG_8661_zpsc31b2c54.jpg

IMG_8666_zpsdc0dc4c3.jpg

I used bigger pads like that and found that it absorbed quite a bit of the cleaning solution wasting it. Using smaller brushes like the Osage brushes, they didn't absorb much leaving more of the solution on the LP

I use water at 50C in an ultrasonic bath with a little surfactant, detergent and iso. Works a charm.

I thought surfactants were used as a wetting agent. I understand surfactants may function as detergents, but are all detergents surfactants?

As far as the Jet-Dri question (assuming you're still alive) not sure what you are saying as far as Ph. Is it an effective wetting agent?

I think the problem wasn't the fat it was a wetting agent but the PH, its an acid which would etch the plastics. A stylus will pick up the smallest of defects and if the plastic gets etched it would make for a noise background at the least.

Anyone else have a problem with those paint pads after a bit start loosing their hair. Looks like some Johnny Winter with an afro shaved his pubics!

Great advise and discussion. What is your take on Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen cleaner as a small portion of a mix? I use the plain Lysol that has been recommend on some sites. It's great for GW records in that it is supposed to kill 99.9% of cooties. :)

Last edited:
I use water at 50C in an ultrasonic bath with a little surfactant, detergent and iso. Works a charm.
You can't do much better physically than ultrasonic cleaning. You should still watch the detergent you use though, for the reasons already mentioned as well as their foaming properties. The devices are typically cost prohibitive however for an average user. I am not trying to cover devices (and open up another can of worms), just typical wash solution ingredients.

Great advise and discussion. What is your take on Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen cleaner as a small portion of a mix? I use the plain Lysol that has been recommend on some sites. It's great for GW records in that it is supposed to kill 99.9% of cooties. :)

Now we are at the opposite end of the pH scale: this product is quite basic with a pH of 11. This can be corrosive so I would not recommend it. The antimicrobial properties come from benzylalkonium chlorides. These are inherently anti-stats so it at least has this going for it! With simple pure ingredients available, I still don't get why people want to experiment with household cleaners that were designed for completely different applications, or at least certainly not for surfaces used for sound reproduction. I have other opinions on Scrubbing Bubbles and other products I may add, I just addressed the most common first.

Now we are at the opposite end of the pH scale: this product is quite basic with a pH of 11. This can be corrosive so I would not recommend it. The antimicrobial properties come from benzylalkonium chlorides. These are inherently anti-stats so it at least has this going for it! With simple pure ingredients available, I still don't get why people want to experiment with household cleaners that were designed for completely different applications, or at least certainly not for surfaces used for sound reproduction. I have other installments on Scrubbing Bubbles and other products I can add.

Vince, probably a dumb question but is there any way you could post some pics of the items you're talking about that would work the best for cleaning vinyl?
I seem to do better having something to look at rather than just read about. There may be one or two others out there that could benefit from pics as well. lol.

Yes, detergents disrupt the surface tension between interfaces as they have a polar part (hydrophilic) and a non-polar (hydrophobic) part (surfactant is just short for "surface active agent" ). This is why they help release oils and other debris from the record surface. In terms of surfactant, the Jet-dri product contains C12-15 alcohol ethoxylates that are non-ionic so that is a good thing. It's the Citric Acid that makes this product very undesirable. A pH of 1 makes the solution strongly acidic. See previous discussion on etching as to why this is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom