Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, really. What in particular do you have an issue with? I do agree however, after 18 years running a research program at a medical school, two Ph.D. degrees, 100's of publications and patents, and as a member of the National Academy of Science, that I'm definitely "trying" to be a scientist!
I disagree, however, with your Purex solution. The use of SDS -containing solutions was discredited in one of the first posts of this thread. I highly recommend you read it. Furthermore, research has shown SDS is MORE dangerous and toxic than most quats. The FDA even considered banning it but were thwarted by industry (P&G). Your Purex also contains high amounts of propylene glycol, and this was addressed in discussions (in this thread and others) about Photoflo.
To be honest, your method is one of a common hack. Sorry, but that is the truth. The formulation was not meant for, nor is ideal for, cleaning carefully pressed plastics meant for sound reproduction. I apologize for being harsh, but read this thread in it's entirety and you will see where we are coming from before you crap on it. It isn't that your Purex won't clean stuff, rather, the thread is a search for perfection, not simplicity. There are many other threads on using household products and I encourage you to participate there and let us geeks be geeks. OTOH, if you want to present results comparing Purex vs. the formulations presented here, we welcome them with open minds! :)

Last edited:
Did you try it?

No worries, keep complicating things.

I challenge you, my method against yours any day....

Again, please follow the spirit of the thread. Please explain what particular ingredients in your solution bring something unique to the table or provide an advantage over others. Or present comparative results. Simply reaching under your kitchen or laundry sink, washing records, and stating that it is the best record cleaning solution ever is not going to cut it here.
We all agree it's only a cleaning process and there are many solutions. The question is what is most effective at removing contaminants, leaves no audible residues, controls static, does not harm the integrity of the vinyl, and allows for long term preservation.

Last edited:
Again, please follow the spirit of the thread. Please explain what particular ingredients in your solution bring something unique to the table or provide an advantage over others. Or present comparative results. Simply reaching under your kitchen or laundry sink, washing records, and stating that it is the best record cleaning solution ever is not going to cut it here.
We all agree it's only a cleaning process and there are many solutions. The question is what is most effective at removing contaminants, leaves no audible residues, controls static, does not harm the integrity of the vinyl, and allows for long term preservation.

Check for PM...non thread related.

Q

Thank GOD. There was one exclamation mark. I thought for one moment that I was going to be disappointed. It is a scientific reply after all. The ! makes it so...

The problem with your methods is that you keep recirculating the contaminants without filtration and wonder why they still end up on the record.

This is true for those using Spinclean devices. Many here are using other devices (RCM, US, etc.), but this thread is about the solutions being used, not the methods. That said, several here use a pressure jet method similar to yours and it has always been said it is one of the best ways to dislodge contaminants. Member dfunghi posted that he uses a garden sprayer up to 45 psi. Others use the GEM-Dandy device. I would think it's a good idea to pre-filter the solution going into the pressure tank as any salt/mineral crystals or hard debris can damage the record surface. Most US users here filter their tank solutions.
I totally agree with your comment on spores. Microbes live on the label of improperly stored records and can cross-contaminate.

In addition to anionic surfactants, your Pyrex Free & Clear contains 10-30% glycerin and 5-15% propylene glycol. Both of these items are not very good to have on the record surface as they are inherently sticky (glycerine is also a good carbon source for microbial growth). One good thing is the detergent mix contains some enzymes, Subtilisin in particular (a protease), that help digest contaminants. The bad news is that your jetting method doesn't appear to include any incubation time for this activity to work. In your laundry (for what is was designed), it would sit on clothes for the entire soak and wash times. I know you are hell bent on using this detergent mix so I can offer some tips that may improve your results: 1) use more diluted, 2) let sit on the surface for 5-10 min before rinsing off, and 3) pre-warm the solution. Also, I would avoid using my bare hand to deflect the spray from the label. Oils and skin cells are extracted and dispersed on your record surface.

Got this off amazon for 20$!!
Best cleaner I've used. Worth it in every aspect

Great cleaner because it is simply Tergitol 15-S-7, one of our favorite non-ionics. To say it is "worth it" is not correct: The guy is charging you $20/oz for something we buy for 50-90 cents/oz. Quite the profit margin! Check out Talas as a source for example.

Last edited:
This is true for those using Spinclean devices. Many here are using other devices (RCM, US, etc.), but this thread is about the solutions being used, not the methods. That said, several here use a pressure jet method similar to yours and it has always been said it is one of the best ways to dislodge contaminants. Member dfunghi posted that he uses a garden sprayer up to 45 psi. Others use the GEM-Dandy device. I would think it's a good idea to pre-filter the solution going into the pressure tank as any salt/mineral crystals or hard debris can damage the record surface. Most US users here filter their tank solutions.

In addition to anionic surfactants, your Pyrex Free & Clear contains 10-30% glycerin and 5-15% propylene glycol. Both of these items are not very good to have on the record surface as they are inherently sticky. One good thing is the detergent mix contains some enzymes, Papain in particular (a protease), that help digest contaminants. The bad news is that your jetting method doesn't appear to include any incubation time for this activity to work. In your laundry (for what is was designed), it would sit on clothes for the entire soak and wash times. I know you are hell bent on using this detergent mix so I can offer some tips: 1) use more diluted, 2) let sit on the surface for 5-10 min before rinsing off, and 3) pre-warm the solution to improve your results.

Great cleaner because it is simply Tergitol 15-S-7, one of our favorite non-ionics. To say it is "worth it" is not correct: The guy is charging you $20/oz for something we buy for 50-90 cents/oz. Quite the profit margin! Check out Talas as a source for example.
Thanks! I'm new to this thread and the tergitol also! Thanks for the heads up! 20$ was worth it imo considering the cleaning I got out of it. Nice to know it's cheaper

Everyone has their own solution. The Triton I bought from @hi*ball has worked real well. I just mix it with distilled water and no alcohol, followed by a spritzed on distilled water rinse, and it has worked real well. I bought some Hepastat from @ETLS but have not used it yet. A quart of mixed solution lasts me about a year. After cleaning all new to me records, they simply get a distilled water rinse for many plays to come. IMO life is to short to be any more OCD about this, it just zaps the fun out of the hobby. YMMV

Last edited:
So are you done trolling now?

Yes and I have deleted all of my worthless input.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was trying to run with such "lofty" Intellectuals and my input was nothing but rubbish.

Now back to your nonsense and chemicals that are readily absorbed into your bloodstream and causing you headaches.

Last edited:
Hence, a 1:5000 to 1:10,000 dilution of Hepastat in 5% IPA put into a spray bottle makes a great antistat treatment. It also lubricates the record surface and prevents microbial growth. It isn't that great for cleaning at this concentration as it will be below the critical micelle concentration.
Good to know, thanks.

So, just to bring this diversion to it's logical conclusion, how would you apply this? Spritz onto a cosmetics wipe and buff the record? Or spray the record and buff dry with a cloth? Or....?

When I tried this, I used it in place of the D4 solution with a Discwasher, but I imagine a Groovewasher, cosmetic pad, or microfiber cloth would work. Just haven't tried those. I include the IPA simply to disperse the solution better. It beads up too much on clean records...YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom