Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or he may just be covering his &ss for the idiots who'll add alcohol anyway,then blame him and the Tergitol for ruining their precious shellacs.

6607c8f174726628eb445f9c29ec263e.jpg

There's a warning in the instructions about using the project on shellacs already. ~ass covered~

Well then he's added alcohol to the mix already as Tergitol is perfectly safe to use on shellac. That's precisely why CC and the LoC recommend it for archive preservation.

Great possibility. Will give it a try and report back if anyone cares.

I can verify that Tergitols work very well on shellac. Just like rip blade said, they are the choice for preservation of these and all other types of records. Of all the non-ionic detergents, I like the Tergitols the best, but they just aren't always easy for folks to find. Alcohol (and other solvents) can be beneficial in cleaning, we just need to keep concentrations low around our vinyl. It's kind of analogous to cleaning album covers....if you wipe with 95% IPA, you'll see ink come off whereas little to none comes off with 15%. Many solutions will remove contaminants from vinyl records but IF our goal is preservation and sonic integrity, we need to find those that are effective yet leave the good stuff (the components that make up the product itself) behind: not an easy task unless we fully understand what we are cleaning. This is not so much of a problem when cleaning things like dishes or bathtubs that can be treated roughly, yet way more research goes into that area since $ talks.
So again, it would be great if someone who worked in the industry chimed in on specific ingredients that were used in the phonographic vinyl resins they were working with. I know it is a longshot, but I'm hopeful these people are around.

Last edited:
Watch:

How long did it take you?
Most fake dollar bin ever! Sun Kil Moon, Built to Spill, XTC, This Mortal Coil...

And how fake is that "dirty record"

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Just wait, there will be some thread at some point asking if any techniques from a video like this actually work, then arguing with you when you tell them it doesn't.

Last edited:
Most fake dollar bin ever! Sun Kil Moon, Built to Spill, XTC, This Mortal Coil...

And how fake is that "dirty record"

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Just wait, there will be some thread at some point asking if any techniques from a video like this actually work, then arguing with youbwhen you tell them it doesn't.
Did you notice the MoFi Original LP in the $1 bin? Was that Beck?

I grinned in the intro when the background guy in the shop said "this aint F-ing Goodwill!", I was then skeptical when I saw really good records in the $1 bin, I cringed when I heard lacquer thinner, I laughed when I saw the Maxi-pad, but I had to stop when he started rubbing with tin foil. Unwatchable.

I have a bag of polyquaternium-10. Useful for anti stat on lp's?

It's a really good antistat (which is why it is used in hair conditioners), but this class of quats can leave films. Might not be a problem at low concentrations (0.1% or lower), but you'd have to experiment with it first. The good news is that it is water soluble and can be removed with a detergent wash so it won't harm anything to try it. Let us know how it turns out!

I'll give it a try at very low level in my next US cleaning mixture which will be very soon. I should play an album before cleaning, then in a mixture w/o the quat and then again with it. I just can't bring myself to let my fairly new needle run the groove of an old uncleaned album.

Let us know how it goes with the polyquat-10. It's good to try different reagents. I have recently been messing around with a new formulation that appears more effective than everything else I've come up with, including my previous Triton/Hepastat mix. Still doing some final experiments, but it might just be the final mix I settle on as it is easy to get and can be used by itself. So far, everything is perfect (high detergency, removes most everything, neutral pH, no films or residue, good lubrication, antistatic, clean, silent records.) Doing concentration and compatibility tests now (including a friend doing GC/MS on a variety of samples) and will post these results when appropriate.

Now that I just bought 1500 years worth of Triton and Hepastat! But actually I AM excited about hearing the new formula!! :beerchug:

I just finished US cleaning my entire collection with that Hepastat/Triton formula! Now you're tellin' me I have to potentially start over?!? :no:

Though, I sort of liked cleaning my records; it gave me something to do.

I prefer unicorn tears myself.

You guys crack me up! :rflmao:
We’ve just had a ‘Unicorn’ craze here in the UK. Everyone and their neighbours went bananas over it and everything was about Unicorns! Bedding, Teapots, cups, saucers, wallpaper, pillows, folders, pencil toppers, cuddly toys etc....

Anyway, Unicorn tears are a bit acidic. For the ultimate clean, I myself use Mermaid juice to clean my records!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom