Record cleaning- you're doing it wrong!

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by guest110, Nov 18, 2015.

1. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

I warned about this phenomenon here at AK over 10 years ago. Unless one has an item they want permanently stuck to shelf liner, it is best avoided.

DaveAl likes this.
  2. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Same experience I had with the electrical cover and foam protector.

The dent pullers did a good job, but were cumbersome, and more a pita than anything else.

This solved that problem for me.

Attached Files:

3. jmilanski

jmilanski New Member

Help everyone!
    I'm trying to go by weight rather than volume (since I have a $10 digital scale, and no cylinders or pipets).

5% IPA 99% (50mL=39.3g, density 0.786 g/mL)
    0.5% Triton X-100 (5mL=5.3g, density 1.061 g/mL)
    0.05% quat (.5mL=.45g, density 0.9g/mL, but only 80% pure so 0.56g quat, the rest 0.12g is alcohol I think)
    EDTA (3.4mM=1g=1.1mL, density 0.9g/mL)
    94% deionized water (943.4mL=943.4g, density 1g/mL)

Does the math work for 1-L of cleaning solution? Am I in the ballpark?

4. doodahman

doodahman New Member

This raises something I've been curious about... what do you all typically use to measure out these chemicals/solutions? There are references throughout about using pipettes ... and some folks mentioned throwing the pipette away after a single use.

Are there other convenient yet accurate ways (without contaminating)?

What about reuse? (Dishwasher or boiling with a good rinse? I assume dishwasher would leave residue...)

Thanks!

(And... YEA, I finally finished reading the whole thread!)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    ETLS likes this.
  5. jmilanski

jmilanski New Member

Like doodahman said

For me, it is a lot easier to put a 1-L container (pyrex) on a $10 digital scale (below), clean it with IPA, and just add ingredients.
    https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Back-Li...pID=41QZcIegWFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Processing for making 1-L cleaning solution
    1. Pre-rinse 1-L glassware with IPA, boil deionized water
    2. Start with IPA (5% solution, 50ml, 39.3g) — TOTAL 39.3g
    3. add Triton X-100 (0.5% solution, 5ml, 5.3g) — TOTAL 44.6g
    4. add hot deionized water (94% solution, 943.4ml, 943.4g) — TOTAL 988.0g
    5. add Quat (0.05% solution, 0.5ml, 0.45g, 0.56g of 80% pure) — TOTAL 988.56g
    6. add EDTA (3.4mM, 1g) — TOTAL 989.56g

I do this fresh, each time I want to sit down and clean a bunch of records.
    (Although I'm still not sure I have the volume->weights quite right. Any help there? Thanks!)

6. DaveAl

DaveAl Member

I have a package of 100 disposable pipettes that I bought at Amazon real cheap

7. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Just stop by a pharmacy, talk to the pharmacist and tell them you're blending a record cleaning solution, and need something that will accurately measure very small dosage. They have disposable non-needle syringes they'll give you for free. Get a couple.

You're welcome.

doodahman likes this.
  8. DaveAl

DaveAl Member

What is a low-cost product to reduce static and does that leave any residue after a double rinse, and if it doesn't (leave a residue), how does it work at reducing static after being rinsed?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 11:11 PM
  9. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Any product in your solution that has a polar quality will leave a molecular layer behind, this layer is not removable with a water rinse, and does not really qualify as a residue. It is just the way things work at that level. The molecular layer of the quat will put a different polarity on the record surface, resulting in your anti-static characteristic. I'm not a chemist, and my terminology may be a bit off, but the principle stands.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

DaveAl likes this.