Record cleaning- you're doing it wrong!

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by guest110, Nov 18, 2015.

1. nrenter

nrenter Active Member

Here's a quick reference to where I'm getting my supplies (also, listed for confirmation that I'm getting the right stuff):

Hepastat 256 - https://www.quill.com/brighton-prof...r-handy-mix-dilutable-64-oz/cbs/51805647.html
    EDTA - https://www.amazon.com/MakingCosmet...F8&qid=1522762832&sr=8-8&keywords=edta+powder
    Triton X-100 - https://www.amazon.com/Triton-X-100...8&qid=1522762867&sr=1-4&keywords=triton+x-100
    ISO - I'll go get it at my local Walgreens
    Distilled Water - I'll go get it at my local Walgreens

And then I'll use Nathan's spreadsheet referenced in #1624 (but use 1/2 of the concentration because I'll try this in my Klaudio ultrasonic machine).

This is just a summary for those who arrive to the party later than I. :)

2channel* and Drugolf like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. nrenter

nrenter Active Member

Wow. Simply wow. This formula (half-strength in a Klaudio ultrasonic machine) is the real deal. It’s quieting records I previously thought were simply damaged (and have been through a half-dozen cycles in the Klaudio US machine - water only). I’m a believer.

3. 2channel*

2channel* Well-Known Member

I know it's in here somewhere; but I can't find it. If I am interested in building a DIY ultrasonic cleaner; what frequency and power am I looking for? Assuming the manufacturer even gives specs.

4. I'm no expert but mine runs at 60kHz. You may want to try other threads as this one is about the cleaning solutions, not methods. Or try some of these:
    Lots of info here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/276858-diy-ultrasonic-record-cleaner-frequency.html

and: http://sanfranciscoaudiophilesociet...ons-about-cleaning-lp-records-ultrasonically/

2channel* likes this.
  5. 2channel*

6. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for this. After reading about 20 pages I was in need of a summary on this all.

Did you try to source any of these materials locally? Like a chemical or cleaning/janitorial supply?

7. 2channel*

For making small batches for hand/vac washing here's the formula I use. I'm posting because the link to nrenter's Excel sheet doesn't work for me anymore.

BATCH 500.00 ml
    HepaStat 256 1.00 ml
    Triton X-100 1.40 ml
    IPA 91% 25.00 ml
    DH20 472.60 ml
    TOTAL 500.00 ml
    Concentrate ml 27.40 ml
    Concentrate Oz 0.93 oz

8. nrenter

nrenter Active Member

So I’m rethinking the concentration in my Klaudio US machine. The records are quieter, but I’m seeing more gunk on my stylus. Mind you, I’m not doing a vacuum rinse step.

kenappleby likes this.
  9. Thunderbox

Thunderbox Active Member

Some people swear by the 60 or 80 kHz machines but after doing the math on bubble size on the 40 kHz machine the bubbles are small enough to get into the smallest record grooves and 40 khz bubbles have more energy than the 60 or 80 kHz bubbles.

2channel* likes this.
  10. 808_state

808_state Well-Known Member

Possibly another option for ultrasonic:

https://sonicsoak.com

s8d7rw8ghntjpfmbfwh7.png

I'm assuming the 50,000 equals a 50kHz transducer. If you're not worried about the label you could just submerge the record completely and forget about spinning.

11. ripblade

ripblade Super Member

I wouldn't buy it, purely on the fact that it keeps trying to redirect me to indigogo's sign up page (I hope they're listening:mad:).

Other than that, it reminds of an expensive, high tech version of an electric toothbrush. The toothbrush works better than you'd think....

808_state likes this.

12. 808_state

808_state Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought that was annoying too...but...concept wise it's interesting and should be enough to clean a record if it can clean the other items they claim it can.

13. ripblade

ripblade Super Member

It should to some degree. I'd be the first to try it....when it's as cheap as a toothbrush.:biggrin:

What these ads never tell you, is how it doesn't work....:bigok:

14. kenappleby

kenappleby New Member

Thanks all, for contributing.

Very good stuff!

I'm having a tough time finding Hepastat 256 in the Toronto area. Will any quat do? I found Epquat by Lawrason local to me which apparantly does all the same germ/virus/bacteria killing that Hepastat does.

Would Epquat be ok, and what are the differences if anyone knows?

Thanks guys!

15. SuperDodge

SuperDodge New Member

This sheet seems to be down. Any chance you can repost?

16. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

~librarian likes this.

17. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Updated the links in my old posts as well.

~librarian likes this.
  18. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Well-Known Member

Verrrrrrrry ... interesting thread :naughty:

19. Pillpopper

Pillpopper New Member

Hello
    New to this forum but have finally read through the thread. Only taken about a month !
    I'm in the UK so getting hold of some ingredients will be tricky.
    Can some-one tell me if
    Benzalkonium Chloride - Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride - BAC 50
    is a suitable quat ? I've sourced some Triton, IPA and EDTA but the quat is proving difficult.

Does anyone know if dissolving the Triton in alcohol first affects the Micelle structure and performance ? It goes against my nature to think that something which takes ages to form a micellar solution will be the same if done quickly ? I've found however that if you agitate Triton in 10x vol water in an ultrasonic bath it dissolves in 5 minutes.

20. jamie123

jamie123 Active Member

when you mix the triton with water,have your container in a sink of hot water,i mixes very quickly like that.

EngineerNate likes this.