Record Shops in Detroit area

DC

"Manhattan Boy"
Subscriber
Updated: Nov 2012

(Please drop me a note for any additions/deletions or post in the thread.)

Detroit:
Flames Famous Music & Things - 51 Hancock, W. of Woodward (WSU campus); Flamefav@comcast.net; 313-283-3422
Peoples Records - 4100 Woodward, north of Mack/MLK (next to Majestic Cafe/Garden Bowl)

Hamtramck:
Record Graveyard - 2926 Caniff, east of Campau

North (Macomb/Oakland):
Clawson:
Flipside Records - 41 E. Fourteen Mile, east of Main St.

Ferndale:
Found Sound - 234 W. Nine Mile, west of Woodward
The Record Collector - 327 W. Nine Mile, west of Woodward

Eastpointe:
Memories and Melodies - 23013 Gratiot, north of Nine Mile

Roseville:
Blast in the Past - 28071 Gratiot, north of I-696

Royal Oak:
Solo Records and Tapes - 30118 Woodward, south of Thirteen Mile
UHF Music - 512 S. Washington, north of 6th St.

Oak Park:
Street Corner Records - 26020 Greenfield, north of I-696 (Green Acres Plaza)

Westside (Wayne, Washtenaw):
Ann Arbor:
Encore Records - 417 E. Liberty, at Thompson
PJ's Used Records - 617 Packard, at State
Wazoo Records - 336 1/2 S. State, south of Liberty

Dearborn:
Dearborn Music - 22501 Michigan Ave., west of Military (new location)
Stormy Records - 13210 Michigan Ave., east of City Hall (above Green Brain Comics)

Ypsilanti:
Cousins Vinyl - 42 E. Cross St., in Cafe Ollie in historic Depot Town (new location)

South:
Trenton:
Slick Disc - 1625 West Rd, east of Fort St.

Out of Town:
East Lansing: Flat Black and Circular - 541 E. Grand River (upstairs), east of Abbot
Flint: Jellybean's - three locations in Flint/Owosso
Grand Rapids: The Corner Record Shop - 3562 Chicago Dr SW, Grandville
Grand Rapids: Vertigo - 129 S. Division, south of Fulton
Owosso: Round Midnight Records - 822 W. Main St., west of Shiawassee
Traverse City: RPM Records - 3275 S. Airport Rd W, east of US-31
Windsor: Dr. Disc - 471 Ouelette (downtown)

Last edited:
wow
nice list:thmbsp:
I didn't know Flat Black and Circular was still around., though I haven't been up to that area much of late. I always thought that was a great name.

Visited Sound It Out Records in TC this evening. Very nice little store. Lots of new vinyl for $13.99, used for $2-$10. Couple of vintage TT's playing through vintage amps and speakers.
Happiest surprise.. their $1 record bins are sorted alphabetically, but by the first letter of the artist or groups name; ie, Beatles, Bob Seger, Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand are all under "B". Seemed odd but works wonderfully... I may have to re-order mine like that.
I only had about 15 minutes to browse as the wife was waiting in the car out in the cold, but I did find a Mitch Ryder LP for $1 that was pristine.
Thanks for the listing.

Happiest surprise.. their $1 record bins are sorted alphabetically, but by the first letter of the artist or groups name; ie, Beatles, Bob Seger, Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand are all under "B". Seemed odd but works wonderfully... I may have to re-order mine like that....

That does eliminate the irritating method I used to see of putting Jethro Tull and Marshall Tucker Band in the "T's" and Lynyrd Skynyrd in the "S's".

Very good list.

The only one on that list that I avoid like the plague is Solo. Prices and condition, not to mention the little notes about what the last one sold on ebay for is super annoying.

Thank you for the list. Out of those I've only been to Dearborn Music which I like but have very little to compare it to. Their vinyl is very limited, but they seem to have a good selection of used CDs including lots of jazz and classical.

For new vinyl, F.Y.E on Woodward in Royal Oak has a pretty good selection. No used though. Eat breakfast or lunch at Monty's across the street. Great little diner in the scummy hotel there.

Nice job Don!:thmbsp:

The Best Buy in Roseville (13&Gratiot) has a whole aisle dedicated to new vinyl. All main stream stuff though, lots of remastered classic rock, the "back in black" line, no classical though. I cant remember if I have seen any jazz in there either.

I just checked into the Record Time site and they're up to 40% off this week on remaining used stock, going to 50% off on Monday.

Might be worth a look, although expect it to be getting pretty picked over.

Made a visit to Flat, Black and Circular in East Lansing last Saturday before my son's hockey game. I had not been there in over 25 years. Lots of good jazz titles on vinyl. I was encouraged to see so many young, fresh-faced college kids browsing the bins like I used to in the 70s.

Add Flames Records on Hancock near Wayne State to your list.:thmbsp:

I made a stop at Solo records after I found out about it here, expecting to buy maybe 5 or 10 LPs... I ended up spending 100 bucks :D mostly on classical. They had to give me a big box to fit them all in :D They have a nice classical selection and great prices. Most used ones are 1 or 2 dollars.

Car City Records --St Clair Shores -- I lived 1 mile from there---Great selection and friendly staff.
A must go to .........

I spent an hour and a half at Sound It Out records in TC today. When I got home I found a small flyer in the bottom of the bag advertising Record Store Day on April 16th. It went on to say that they were also starting their store-closing liquidation sale that day and April 30th would be their last day of business! :wtf: :tears: :dammit:

Updates to our list:

1) Correction--It's Flames Famous Music & Things, 51 Hancock just w. of Woodward at WSU. Specializing in Jazz lps and Northern Soul 45s. Flamefav@comcast.net; 313-283-3422. :yes:

2) Great store near Grand Rapids that also features gear for sale in the vintage audio room: The Corner Record Shop,
3562 Chicago Dr SW, Grandville, MI 49418 (616) 531-6578. Deep selection of used LPs, rock, folk, country and jazz. Fair prices. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the tip, no Solo for me. That is bad business. Plenty of record stores sell collectible records on-line and that is okay. It's a business, but juicing the price of a common record to a local buyer is bad.

Underground, 5th & Libery A2. I may have the name wrong.
Wazoo, State st. A2.
Culture Clash, Secor Rd, Toledo. Not a fan.
Allied Record Exchange, Reynolds RD, Toledo.
Very good list.

The only one on that list that I avoid like the plague is Solo. Prices and condition, not to mention the little notes about what the last one sold on ebay for is super annoying.

I really like Wazoo in A2-- A cozy store with LP bargain bins worth searching. Found an excellent copy of Jack Bruce's "Song's for a Tailor" or a buck.

SoundItOut Records in Traverse City is now gone :tears:... closed on April 30th.

Looks like the website is also gone, which previously said the reason they were closing was because they didn't like living in TC, so they were moving to...

... Detroit? :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom