Record store style storage on the cheap

chaz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well if you happen to have an Ikea 'Billy" book shelf. Saw this and remembered some folks here looking for ways to store records in the 'flip through record store style' so I thought it might be worth posting. There is a link to a kit that you can by with the parts you'l need, but it's not that complicated to rig up on your own if you have a bit of the DIYer in you. Check it out if you are looking for this type of storage.
https://www.recordbilly.com/
No affiliation or endorsement,

I just spent 50 bucks on a short Billy from Ikea and used some leftover dowels I had.
I dont have the final shot showing the 2nd dowel placed on the shelf with some RTV and brads to keep the bottom of the albums from kicking out from under the middle bar. I've got about 70-80 albums in it right now. I"m planning on getting some black plastic putty to fill in the small holes on the side where I passed the dowel through.

IMG_5566.jpg IMG_5567.jpg IMG_5568.jpg

I have a billy bookshelf from 2000 and this is my experience with it. The bookshelf itself will "rack" side to side with too much weight (like with too many records) and it needs a stronger back (like 1/2 inch plywood would be good) than the cardboard veneered back that it comes with. The shelves are made out of veneered particle board and they will sag under load. Again, 3/4 inch plywood would have been better for heavier loads like books (bookshelves = books = heavy). The shelves are only 10.25 inches deep.
Ikea used to make another bookshelf series made out of plywood (more expensive of course) a full 12 inches deep and much stronger but it was discontinued long ago (most of there more expensive items have also been discontinued) that I liked better and wish I had gotten instead.

Back
Top Bottom