1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Recording vinyl and tape to DSD?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Shakedown, Nov 12, 2017.

1. blownsi

blownsi Super Member

Boytris is correct in that all of these captures will need editing at some point even if it's just to chop them into tracks. DSD software is not only hard to come by but more labor intensive than your average PC/Mac will be happy with. Many folks are capturing in DSD but then convert to PCM for editing. I don't see the point when it's so easy to just use something like a Focusrite or Apogee to capture in PCM.

JoeESP9, Nightwisher and botrytis like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. heavyrock

heavyrock AK Subscriber Subscriber

I thought about a Focusrite. Biggest limitation I see is the inputs cannot track for both channels, you have to adjust each level independently. It should have a switch on the front to be able to do it either way. So that takes it off the plate as an option for my consideration.

3. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a Focusrite Forte which I use for ripping my vinyls and r2r tapes. I don't mind adjusting each channel individually, but you can indeed tie the gain of the input channels together, using the Forte Control PC app. Just click the little button next to "link". Same can be done for speaker output channels and headphone channels.

Don't worry about DSD. 24/96 PCM is more than you will need for any r2r or vinyl, even 15ips 2-tracks. You don't even come close to running out of bit-depth.

ev13wt likes this.
  4. heavyrock

heavyrock AK Subscriber Subscriber

gotcha. didn't know that model was looking at Focsurite 2i2. I'll keep this in mind. looking at a better product for more money used ( but won't get it if I find out it is country voltage dependent and cannot be converted easily....)

5. ev13wt

ev13wt Super Member

^^ This if you must go pro.

Else, really this. Easiest, simple, zero sonic difference.
    Defacto best practice.

OPs friend that suggested he needs DSD to capture that analog depth is simply uneducated about how digital audio works and what tape can do. He lifts certain phrases and practices up into religious territory, which is very typical behaviour of, well, people thinking about magic instead of bits and bias. Per se I see no problem with that if it helps his creativity.

Nightwisher and botrytis like this.
  6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Don't forget that both tape and Vinyl have an RIAA equalization with vinyl having more types before standardization. You can record with and w/o but your playback software will have to have the equalization if you record w/o it.

ev13wt likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

restorer-john and ev13wt like this.
  8. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Most r2r decks have the playback EQ built-in so you ideally just make sure your deck is calibrated and you don't need any external EQ. On r2r it is not RIAA, but NAB and IEC (there is IECII as well as IECI which = CCIR). For most US pre-recorded tapes this is NAB. For the older UK made tapes this is mostly CCIR. It is possible to post-EQ for correctly CCIR played back on an NAB calibrated deck and vice versa. (just PM me for details if ever needed).

ev13wt likes this.