Recs for 2 channel receiver

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by mbd23, Feb 6, 2018.

1. mbd23

mbd23 New Member

Time to replace my 35 year old Yamaha receiver. What's good these days? I don't need a lot of features. I use Boston Acoustics speakers, a Dual turntable, Yamaha CD player and really good headphones. Something in the $500-600 range.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Take a look at the current crop of Yamaha stereo receivers! :)

Ross6860 likes this.
  3. mbd23

mbd23 New Member

Hoping someone could recommend one they own.

4. awillia6

awillia6 Well-Known Member

Save your money. HK3490 digital/optical input for future-proofing, lotsa power, full-function remote (and remote input). 5 year old unit in pristine condition with original box and accessories will run you around $300 you-know-where.

5. musicdude2

musicdude2 New Member

Just for fun got a Yamaha R-S202 to see if modern cheap stereo receivers are any good. Got it from Fry's for 100 bucks. No brainer! I was pleasantly surprised how much umpf this thing has.
    It is not very smooth in the highs but that is not surprising, it's only a couple of days old. Needs to burn in for a couple of weeks to find out how good it really sounds.
    Anyway I opened up the thing to see what's in it. Toshiba output transistors, Elna caps but the two big power supply caps are Taiwanese Jamicon! Yamaha :wtf: Cost saving I guess.
    Replaced the Jamicons with 20% bigger Nichicon LKS. The sound is for sure fuller and has a lot of reserve at peek power.

My usual test to see how good the power supply is, I play the Telarc CD Tchaikovsky 1812 when the cannons go off. At volume 85 distortion was clearly heard at the bass but it did not cut out.
    At 80 it passed without distortion! Usually I like to listen to DJ Paulo Arruda via laptop and Majestic DAC as background music, but so often I turn it up and can reach up to 90% without any distortion!
    The bass is full and tight. Never boomy or lose. This receiver controls the F-52's very well. I'm very surprised how good this thing sounds for the price! :thumbsup:
    My usual system goes thru a Graham Slee Majestic DAC for digital stuff and is powered by a M-80. Speakers are Revel F-52's.

Time will tell how much more refined the sound will become or if I need to do some more mods. I think this is a best buy for sure!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  6. KG_Jag

KG_Jag Member

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

++1

Yamaha R-S700 would definitely get my money if I were buying a new receiver. It was just discontinued, but if you don't need a tuner, the A-S701 is the integrated amp that replaced it.

The R-S500 and A-S501 are just a notch down the chain.

These are nothing like the R-S202

8. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Well-Known Member

I wonder about the Emotiva TA-100? They call it an integrated but it has a tuner...so it's a receiver. Class a/b, inexpensive.