Rectilinear III Description (long)

Freds.Bands

Live Music Listener
This appears in the Oklahoma CL listing. Keep in mind that some of this is opinion and maybe even conjecture I've missed commenting on. I have edited out, via ...., the sales talk for this system and bracketed [] my own corrections/additions. I didn't check to see if it's OK :) to post here. But his early Rectilinear IIIs look very nice to me.

These are the highly coveted early Brooklyn version of the speaker before the company moved to the Bronx... They are not only beautiful sound, but unlike most current speakers, beautiful furniture. They are large and very heavy. The 12 in woofer alone weighs more than 22 lbs. I have never gotten tired of listening to them in all the years I have owned them. ... They are 34" high, 18" wide and 12" deep. They weigh close to 100 lbs [~80] each.

Rectilinear Research

Model III

I meet many vintage stereo collectors who have never even heard of the Rectilinear Research brand, yet the vast majority come away rather impressed after a short audition of the model III.

There are four versions of the model III and for the longest time, these speakers did not surface very often. Lately I have been seeing many pairs show up both on eBay and Craig's List, yet every set has been the last version made which started in 1971 and most are rather beat up.

The very first version (1967) is the most valuable and hardly ever found, the pair offered here is almost as hard to find and is the second version (1968), while the third version (1969) is semi-rare yet does pop-up now and again. While the extremely common 1971 version can be found rather easily and usually for only a few hundred dollars, they are not as highly valued by collectors. [are we collectors?]

For those you who might be interested, a brief history on the model III is posted at the very bottom....

The design goal of the Rectilinear III was to create a reference standard with special emphasis on the widest possible dispersion of sound and unimpaired performance in unusually large rooms. By comparison, the L100 of the same era was specifically designed not to be a highly accurate speaker as it copied the flawed Altec Lansing 604 design and was a close field monitor. [I think they were also to compete with the AR 3.]

As the L100 was becoming popular at the very same time as the model III, Rectilinear very politely comments on the JBL flaws in one ad without actually mentioning any names. Rectilinear directly pointed a finger at JBL by stating the new "West Coast Sound' was inaccurate with overly bright midrange and boomy bass, which was a fact. IMHO, when these two speakers are compared side by side, the model III simply outperforms the JBL L100 & 4311 in all areas plus allows for hours of non-fatiguing enjoyment.

The model III cost just under $600 [$578] a pair way back in 1966 with Duke Ellington personally endorsing them by stating The sound is so natural that I feel I'm sitting there with the band! ....

The moving-coil loudspeaker was invented in 1925, yet the stereo era of hi-fi did not start until 1958, all recordings before this time were mono. By the mid-sixties there were very few dynamic speakers on the market which could accurately reproduce stereo sound without adding coloration to the playback. The Rectilinear III really stood apart at this moment in history by offering a very neutral product that did not add or subtract to the sound of original recording. [Others mfgrs claimed that also.]

While no one will claim this system is the best speaker using today's ultramodern (expensive) standards, this vintage speaker is very enjoyable to play due to the smoothness and accuracy of sound, plus having such a strong bottom end which is often found lacking in many early speakers.

Despite being a bass reflex design cabinet, the Rectilinear III is a relatively low-efficiency system requiring a fair amount of clean amplifier power. I recommend 50 watts as the minimum, but they can be run on as little as 20 watts. Yet this comes with a caution, under powered amps will kill tweeters if pushed into clipping, so do not crank up the volume.

Critical listeners who prefer program material at high levels (loud) will most likely want to use equipment near the maximum of 100 watts per channel. Yet be forewarned the other way, do not overpower the speaker as the midrange voice coil will overheat and start to rub.

Cabinets & Grills

.... The quality is a reminder of the good o'l days when solid construction was the norm! The cabinet panels are braced on all four sides plus supported front to rear to restrict vibration. This bracing plus the mounting of the woofer off-center in the cabinet virtually eliminates any cabinet resonance from the lower frequencies.

To further isolate the lower frequencies, the midrange driver is suspended [in a separate plastic cup) in the cabinet with RTV glue [and damping material] to dampen out any undesired vibrations. As the front baffle is removable, the cabinets tend to leak air which impacts bass response. [He says, "A sealing gasket has been installed in both speakers to eliminate this problem and can be seen as the black foam strip in the photo." May be a good idea.]

The grills on the model III (and many other RR systems) were not designed to be removed by the consumer, being nailed to the front baffle with small brads. Unfortunately many folks do not know this fact and end up breaking the delicate frames trying to pry them out. [I like the idea of small magnets or even velcro to replace the nails.]

This early pair has the thicker frames unlike the thinner and more fragile frames found on the late model, yet small fractures still existed which compromised their strength. [He says,"A thin support of 1/8 inch plywood has been added to the perimeter of both frames to restore the integrity. The OEM cloth was faded which is very typical, yet by simply reversing the fabric the original orange-black-brown tweed looks new! Maybe two more good ideas.] Both metal grill badges (not the late model plastic type) are installed which is a typical flaw for these speakers [that is, people losing them].

Drivers

The woofer was designed to move sufficient air while maintaining a fast transient response for solid output down to 20 Hz in the tuned enclosure. The woven cloth surround will never rot plus permits 1 inch cone excursions without running into nonlinearity issues. The woofer operates from 20 to 500 Hz and is rolled off at 6 db per octave [is it 6 or 12 dB? must find out as it affects the capacitor size] to keep it out of the midrange where coloration could become apparent. The DCR of these woofers is 11.2 & 11.3 ohms. [I've heard that before; odd for 8 ohm woofers.]

The midrange driver which was made in Holland. This design provides a smooth transient response between 500 Hz and 3 kHz which is also attributed to the special European paper and an unusually light voice coil. This exceptionally neutral driver covers the musical characteristics which differentiate the vast majority of instruments and vocals. The DCR on these drivers is 3.6 & 3.8 ohms.

The four paper cone high frequency drivers made in Denmark cover the remaining range from 3 kHz all the way to 18.5 kHz. This classically simple design uses a very light cone and voice coil creating a smoothness not found in more complex designs, the thin aluminum dust cap weights only .01 of a gram. By widely spacing these four tweeters from top to bottom and around the front baffle, the upper frequency sound is dispersed over a very large area. The DCR of the 8 tweeters is 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 (x3),7.3 & 7.4 (x2)\

Crossovers

The crossovers use air-gapped iron-core chokes coupled with capacitors to accurately control each driver, along with having a single attenuation control on the back panel for the four tweeters [He says, "which has been cleaned and tested to assure smooth and noise-free adjustments from end to end. Typically I replace the vintage capacitors with high quality audio grade components, yet did not on this set as serious collectors prefer the OEM parts." We do?]

The OEM input posts only allowed for 16AWG wire or a spade lug.

More to come.

Last edited:
HISTORY

The Rectilinear Research Corporation was established around 1966 in Brooklyn, New York moving to the Bronx late in 1968 where it remained until the plant was closed near the end of 1977. The model III was the first offering which was launched in 1966 and ended in 1976, almost the exact same year the popular JBL L100 also died.

Over the ten years of production, minor changes occurred to the model III as the transducers and crossovers evolved. There are four versions of the model III, yet Rectilinear did not mark these speakers aside from the company name making recognition a bit more difficult. The real amazing feat is that every version sounds nearly identical as Rectilinear put great effort into maintaining the neutral uncolored sound of the system.

The very first version of the model III won very high praise from Julian Hirsch in the December 1967 issue of Hi-Fi Stereo Review which really put the Rectilinear Research Corporation on the audiophile map. This review was the springboard for Rectilinear and became the main sales reference for the company with quotes being found in almost every advertisement. In February 1972 Julian performed a second review of the fourth version of the model III and also compares it with the first version. [It is worth reading.]

The Rectilinear III is defined as a 6 driver, 4-way, base reflex system. Even though the transducers and crossover were altered over the years, the component layout on the front baffle remained consistent for the life of the speaker.

The 1966 version is the most difficult to find, the one reviewed by Julian Hirsch in 1967. This very first version used a Jensen woofer with an reddish accordion style woven cloth surround which was tuned to the cabinet with a two inch bass port. [I believe it was attached from the inside with 4 bolts.] The Phillips midrange had a unique whizzer cone and an accordion style surround made of paper. The four Peerless paper cone tweeters had paper dust caps and the square frame was stapled to the front baffle. There were no external adjustments unlike all the later versions. This system did not accept banana plugs, only bare 16AWG wire or a spade lug could be used. The grill badge was gold colored metal with red paint and the baffle set back was greater which allowed a thicker grill frame. At this time, there were no serial numbers on the system. [Seems like prototypes with no serial no.]

The 1968 version was very much like the first except for a single attenuator was added in a round cutout near the top rear of the cabinet which adjusted the four tweeters, the input connectors remained near the bottom. Otherwise, the second version was nearly identical to the first. [Was that the only change?]

The 1969 version still used the same brand of drivers, yet the system was altered once again. The impedance of the Dutch made midrange changed with the crossover and got a rolled edge woven cloth surround along with minor changes to the cone and dust cap. The paper cone tweeters from Holland were now glued to the front baffle in round frames plus received aluminum dust caps [Al? really?] to extend the upper range. The crossover now had two attenuators on a plastic plate located in a square cut out near the bottom of the cabinet along with the inputs. This system now accepted banana plugs along with bare 16AWG wire or a spade lug. The metal grill badge now became black plastic with gold chrome plus a gold paper serial number label could now be found on the crossover plate. This was the first version where the front baffle was moved forward by \uc0\u188 [about?] inch which required a thinner grill frame.

[During 1970 Rectilinear came out with several other speaker models, I believe the X and Xa and XII among others.]

The 1971 version was very similar to the '69 model expect for the Jensen woofer was now changed to a Chicago Telephone Supply transducer which had a smooth black butyl surround. This updated driver required the bass port to be enlarged to 3 inches plus additional crossover modifications to maintain the sound of the original system. The rest of the speaker remained unchanged aside from the baffle becoming black sometime after 1973. [I figured the larger capacitor value changed from 60uf to 100uf because of different woofer voice coil inductance; but I'm not sure, as it could be the mid and I haven't analyzed the 2nd order crossover for the drivers. If so and if he is right about the mid needing the smaller caqpacitor, this could be a change for the 1969 version instead.]

By 1973 the model III had become somewhat popular, so an additional version was launched which used all the same components yet was shorter and wider with nearly the exact same cabinet volume. Many speculate the new model was released primarily to improve the WAF (wife acceptance factor) as the ads called the speaker a stunning piece of furniture. [At that time the price for both models went to $299. I assume there were no changes to the "highboy" then.]

Compared to the existing system which was almost a yard tall, the new III Lowboy could be cleverly disguised as an end table with a height of only 28 inches. The Rectilinear ads stated the standard version was the no frills model, while the fancy Lowboy came with a magnificent fretwork grille so popular in the 70's. [Mediterranean look was not universally popular, and people are complaining that the grill impeded the highs a bit.] A small bookshelf version was also released called the Mini III which was only 19 inches tall, yet this system was really not much like its big brother, it simply shared the name. The Mini did use the exact same midrange and tweeter, yet everything else was different including a departure from the bass reflex design to an acoustic suspension type.

Because Rectilinear now had two models of the III, common folk started calling the standard version the Highboy to contrast the official Lowboy name. Rectilinear never did use the Highboy nomenclature in any ad or spec sheet, yet the term did finally find its way onto the company price list by late 1976.

Technically speaking, the taller version should always be called the model III, while the shorter version is officially the III Lowboy.

The model IIIA [and B] was a late model carryover of the basic design, yet every component was changed making this a completely different speaker which never could outshine the real model III! [I believe this decision and some other ones for different models spelled doom for the company.]

[Some important mysteries yet remain, crossover design changes, grill cloth changes, responsible engineers for each model, etc.]

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard that the first version were better/more desirable than subsequent versions. Not surprising, given that he is selling the first version.

This classically simple design uses a very light cone and voice coil creating a smoothness not found in more complex designs

Irrefutable truth. :lmao:

Nevertheless, a great speaker in it's day. If anyone has a FRG to post (or already has), I'd like to see it.

Irrefutable truth. :lmao:

This classically simple design uses a very light cone and voice coil creating a smoothness not found in more complex designs

Nevertheless, a great speaker in it's day....

At the time it was. Still might be close. If you want more treble, turn up your tone control.

Last edited:
haven't heard those little peerless tweeters in so long. they sure were popular in the 70's. would they compare to today's tweeters?

Hard for me to say; all we have here anymore is a BestBuy and a vintage/used equip shop. And I've never done a lot of audio shopping until I was ready to buy for a reason.

I've compared the Peerless tweeters with Morel, Dynaudio and Magnepan (not the ribbons) and they still hold up very well, albeit probably a bit rolled off at the very highest frequencies. They have a very sweet sound, but quite 'real' sounding too, and never harsh.

Keep in mind that in the Highboy, they are crossed over at around 4500 Hz, 1st order so a lot of the issues they might encounter at lower frequencies are not an issue.

I did end up replacing some drivers on my Highboys with modern units, but it wasn't the tweeters. But that's a subject for a different thread.

This is the first I've heard that the first version were better/more desirable than subsequent versions. Not surprising, given that he is selling the first version.

I think their engineers made improvements and the type 3 is possibly the best. Biggles will eventually tell us, since he owns both now. Only in the later 70s did their designs prove less capable. Apparently Wiener didn't pay his consulting design engineers (at all or much), they left, and I'm guessing word got around, so that none would work for his company when he wanted to develop new designs or revise old ones. Just speculations on my part, but a real possibility. Ask Jim Bongiorno; well, maybe not.

One thing this article tells me it is that is complex to use an early crossover (types 1 and 2) with drivers for a later model (types 3 and 4 which are thought to be identical). Some drivers were changed out with different impedances and the crossover design was changed from parallel to serial.

Last edited:
An old thread but,
My Rec 111's have a 3 inch (not 2 inch) port and red accordion surround (not black rubber) woofer which may be Jensen. But does have the mid from 1969. This does not fit the description in post #2 of the 1969 or 1971.
Maybe the 3 inch port came in 1969 or the CTS woofer came in 1971.

P1110001.JPG

P1110003.JPG

An old thread but,
My Rec 111's have a 3 inch (not 2 inch) port and red accordion surround (not black rubber) woofer which may be Jensen. But does have the mid from 1969. This does not fit the description in post #2 of the 1969 or 1971.
Maybe the 3 inch port came in 1969 or the CTS woofer came in 1971.

View attachment 1404898

View attachment 1404903

My Lowboys have the same woofer and a 3" port as your's quiet. The biggest difference is my woofer is front mounted to the baffle as opposed to your rear mounting.

For the best Rectilinear info, I refer to Njord Noatun’s site:
http://www.kallhovde.com/Njord Noatun's Vintage Audio Resources.html

I think this woofer may be a CTS. And look like the Jensen.
And the rubber woofer version is CTS or whatever.
I think that history write up in post #2 is missing some parts.

Back
Top Bottom