Recursive ambiophonic crosstalk elimination...

Wungun

Dunno if it's been brought up before...
Any others here implementing R.A.C.E. (ambiophonics) in their rigs?
I'm building my system with PC/digital source in mind...and implementing this DSP technique.
If you haven't experienced this, give it a try on your PC!! Seriously!

I play my media thru J. River Media Center (THE best player out there IMHO)...
Using Ambio One VST plugin.
The plugin is free...Media Center is trial ware.
Set it up...place your desktop speakers at 20 degrees listening angle and toggle the by-pass on and off as you adjust the settings.
You'll be blown away at the stage width and imaging (depending on the source of course...some nice piano/horn/drum jazz is a good start).

Foobar is pretty good for VST integration...
Check out J. River for $hits and giggles.
The audio options/drivers/DSP section is phenomenal.
WASAPI, kernel streaming, ASIO for bypassing the windows mixer, output formatting (I up sample everything 24/192).
Convulsion, room correction, parameter EQ's, etc.
Just sampling Chet Baker and Bill Evans CD right now...I'm surrounded! :)

Initial reaction...this plugin really does exactly what it claims.

It is very song source dependent.(just like almost ANY enhancement plugin)

Speaker type and placement will greatly determine the need for/or tuning the plugin.

I tried it first on one of my surround systems.Switched it to direct stereo and I had to actually check the rear speakers to make sure they were off!
I already had a plugin capable of stereo widening thru de-correlation but this one does it much differently.
With proper tuning it does it very well...especially if you dont mind riding the attenuation control on a song or two.

Thanks again. :)

Yeah,I'm liking it.

The whole soundstage is really enhanced by this.I am going to process some music to burn to cd and see how it does outside the computer system.
:)

I just listen to the songs thru foobar and make presets for the VSTs.Then add them to the conversion process.
It would be neat if foobar had an option to 'use current settings to convert' but you have to set options manually.
Presets help a lot tho...no biggie.
The only difference between my listening setups and my processing presets is leaving out the room correction...all else is good.
I love making music DVDs because there is enough room to have multiple versions.The original,optimal and extreme. :)

Like it huh? Lol
It's amazing how wide the stage becomes implementing this technique.
I even went so far as replacing my TV/equipment stand in favour of one that is slightly narrower so I could decrease me speaker angle even further.
I've recently went from Win7 X86 to Win8.1 X64 on my box , and noticed that my preferred plugin sounded flat and seemed to altered the sound too much in Win8 where as the other plugin I was testing that didn't work in 7 now works much better in an X64 environment.

Most of us already listen to our music digitally anyways...so making the leap to a HTPC makes sense. All your library accessible instantly in one place, an enormous amount of DSP available, quality soundcards out there (or even plumb your audio into a DAC if one so chooses)...
And not even music, but a home theater out of the same hardware and web accessibility from your couch thru your monster LCD screen too!!

I have seen the future...lol

Sent from my iPhone...

Yup,I have an external hard drive reader with 3 extra hard drives(so far) full of movies.Any TV gets burned to disc.

I was expecting this plugin to sound phasey or echoey.Properly adjusted it sounds very natural(if you like big soundstages).
The center dosnt get ruined and the edges just wrap around and become clearer.
I cant even decide yet which I prefer...the plugin or my actual surround channels.(for stereo)
:)

Checkout ambiophonics.org...
There are ways to use it in 4-channel audio that makes you feel totally immersed!

Sent from my iPhone...

Right now I am in bed where I have a queen sized surround system...TV over my ankles,sub I can touch with my feet and rear channels at either side of the mattress.
Very near field.

With this plugin the sound is somewhere between near field stereo and the worlds biggest headphones...without the in your head weirdness. :)

Check out J. River for $hits and giggles.
The audio options/drivers/DSP section is phenomenal.
WASAPI, kernel streaming, ASIO for bypassing the windows mixer, output formatting (I up sample everything 24/192).
Convulsion, room correction, parameter EQ's, etc.

Don't try their convulsion settings unless you have an EMT on call ... <G>

Tried Ambio.one here as a jRiver plugin, but it like, suffered severe suckage.

Probably got something to do with the Carver C9 holography, which already makes for a pretty intense soundstage. Sounded thin and pinched at any setting. Turned the C9 off, and the plugin improved some when compared with when it was bypassed, but it didn't come close to what the C9 can do. Speaker positioning for holography isn't all that different from what the plugin was recommending either, so not sure exactly what the problem was.

Still a fun experiment - not trying to discourage anyone from trying it. Just saying it's apparently not for everybody.

I've tried that plugin and Electro-music AmbiophonicDSP plugin. I recently upgraded to Win8.1 X64 from Win7 X86 and found AmbioOne works better than AmbioDSP on it, where as on Win7, it was reversed. Not sure why...

Sent from my iPhone...

The Boyz at MS made major changes to the audio engine on W8 which may explain the results. I did notice that the Ambio software hasn't been updated in quite some time. My system is also running W8, but will dual boot to XP if I've a mind to. Maybe try the Ambio plug in there to see what happens.

I've had the same problems here with a lot of the dsp "solutions" though. Most everything in jRiver has been tried just for yuks and then turned off and forgotten, including convolution, using filters created in REW. Some swear by it ... I mostly swore at it. Also tried a MiniDSP as an equalizer, also using filters created in REW, and that was pretty sad compared to a good old fashioned parametric equalizer. Not a total waste of time, as the REW software pointed out some room inconsistencies that I was able to incorporate into the filter settings on the PQ EQ to improve what I'd been using originally.

You take your car audio seriously I see. ;)

http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-project/131505-wungun-pics-water-cooled-car-pc-95-done.html

I build my pc's too but havnt thought of putting one in my...ahem...minivan.

Lots of room for speakers tho. :D I rednecked in some 8 inch in-walls with pointable tweeters into the back gate.Not bad,they were cheap overstock from NXS.
Still working on the front.It will always be a white trash installation but I use my minivan for a truck so fancy is never going to happen. :no: :D

Back
Top Bottom