Red Dragonfly Sounds Bad With iMac--What to do?

For my SCHIIT DAC and iPad It was required to use the Lightning USB CAMERA ADAPTER and a powered USB HUB.
A standard USB to Lightning will not deliver the music, it must be the camera adapter cable.
System USB does not supply enough power so the external powered hub is needed.
In my case USB cables- USB A to mini B and a USB A to USB B are used as well to connect the camera adapter to the powered hub
and the powered hub to the DAC.
I do not use the set up on my iMac desktop, instead running it through my hi low mid wi fi system.

Here is a pic, maybe it will be helpful.

Modi2Uber_to_iPad_Cabling_Diagram.jpg

Modi 2 doesn't have it's own power adapter? I don't think is supposed to be powered via USB.

Interesting. It does not surprise me that many users of Apple or any brand portable computer/headphone would consider a DAC not necessary. I go in the Mac Store and Computer geek stores and they never even heard of a DAC, let alone carry them or the connections, other than the factory lightening photo x usb adaptor that we are discussing.

I do have an old airport express and like the suggestion to use it for home use with a DAC. I tried it without a dac from my iMac and it did not sound good. I was called a troll on one forum for saying that. I guess that means he disagreed. Someone suggested to use it with a DAC but what dac and how to connect is another whole story. For this use I am looking at a Meridian or Schitt or other DAC. But back to the iPad/Dragonfly problem.

I am in favor of getting a new generation "iPod" portable media player device (as he suggested Pono). I am looking at them, esp the Onkyo, Sony and Astell and Kern. This does not substitute for having good sound on the iPad, so back to the iPad/Dragonfly problem.

The solution to add one more device for power inline (Plugable, powered USB HUB that asterion suggests, etc) may work fine and I may have to go for that. I would prefer a one piece self powered DAC instead of a 2 piece set up. The FiiO e07k was suggested. The trick will be knowing which DAC would work. My HRT Headstreamer does not work with the iPad Pro.

Last edited:
I did some more reading this morning. Conclusion: the Red Dragonfly is supposed to work with the current IOS, although some people experience intermittent clicking sounds.

Thanks. The iPad does recognize my wife's nice little Audioengine Bluetooth speakers and I can choose to select them and that works fine.

I just got the answer from the ComputerAudio forum that the original old black Dragonfly uses too much power. I need a new Dragonfly.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/714-audioquest-dragonfly-red-dragonfly-black-review/

Last edited:
My wife bought me the new Red Dragonfly, after I read a great review of it in Stereophile. I wanted it for classical music on YouTube. It sounds awful on my iMac. I followed all the setup directions: direct the sound effects through the iMac speaker, not the Dragonfly; select the best sample rate; etc. I tried every sample rate, they all sound awful on music. The Dragonfly actually sounded good for voice, but piano and orchestra are garbled. Using Grado 225i phones plugged directly into the Dragonfly.

What can possibly be wrong? Any ideas?

So have you found your problem?

I am considering getting a different DAC for the iPad. Maybe the Mojo, iFi, FiiO e07k, or Resonessence Labs Herus which has the advantage that it is not USB but is an actual headphone DAC inline with the headphone jack. I can always use the Dragonfly on the home computer. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/three-miniature-portable-usb-dacs/?page=3

Modi 2 doesn't have it's own power adapter? I don't think is supposed to be powered via USB.

Interesting. It does not surprise me that many users of Apple or any brand portable computer/headphone would consider a DAC not necessary. I go in the Mac Store and Computer geek stores and they never even heard of a DAC, let alone carry them or the connections, other than the factory lightening photo x usb adaptor that we are discussing.

I do have an old airport express and like the suggestion to use it for home use with a DAC. I tried it without a dac from my iMac and it did not sound good. I was called a troll on one forum for saying that. I guess that means he disagreed. Someone suggested to use it with a DAC but what dac and how to connect is another whole story. For this use I am looking at a Meridian or Schitt or other DAC. But back to the iPad/Dragonfly problem.

I am in favor of getting a new generation "iPod" portable media player device (as he suggested Pono). I am looking at them, esp the Onkyo, Sony and Astell and Kern. This does not substitute for having good sound on the iPad, so back to the iPad/Dragonfly problem.

The solution to add one more device for power inline (Plugable, powered USB HUB that asterion suggests, etc) may work fine and I may have to go for that. I would prefer a one piece self powered DAC instead of a 2 piece set up. The FiiO e07k was suggested. The trick will be knowing which DAC would work. My HRT Headstreamer does not work with the iPad Pro.

I believe I saw on another thread that a Mcintosh DAC does not need the additional powered hub..I would guess that there are others that do as well. Perhaps when considering a specific DAC contacting their customer service folks to see if it needs the powered hub for the iPad would be wise before purchasing. I picked up the powered hub at office depot or some such place.

The Modi does have it's own plug in power. I also have the old CD player running through it. It is the iPad itself that will not have enough power and I get the pop up that states that the iPad does not have enough power to use the accessory (DAC).
The answer and pic was provided by the tech folks at Schiit after I had tried and failed without a powered hub or Apple camera adapter cable.

I use the iPad to stream without a DAC or USB hub through the headphone jack with a headphone jack to RCA cable connected to analog receivers on various other systems in the house.

This is my first DAC... I have never used a dragonfly type device.

Good luck and Happy new Year folks!

So have you found your problem?

I am considering getting a different DAC for the iPad. Maybe the Mojo, iFi, FiiO e07k, or Resonessence Labs Herus which has the advantage that it is not USB but is an actual headphone DAC inline with the headphone jack. I can always use the Dragonfly on the home computer. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/three-miniature-portable-usb-dacs/?page=3
highly recommend the Mojo. Great DAC and portable for headphone and travel use.

Mojo looks good. I went with the Renessance Labs Herus USB and it works well on the new iPad. So well I went for Tidal. The Herus has an odd USB-B connection so you need a USB x USB-B adapter, for which I found an apple printer cord.

My Dragonfly does not work with my iPad Pro as proposed using Apple Lightening to USB adapter. Nothing.
Based on the Stereophile and other reviews I tried to use the Dragonfly with an iPad as pictured in the Sep 2016 Stereophile and pictured in the Dragonfly ads using the Apple Lightening to USB adapter. Amazon even sells the Dragonfly bundled with the Apple Lightening to USB adapter. There are also videos on youtube showing this. Fail?
I also tried an HRT Headstreamer the same way and got no sound. I tried various head phones and ear buds and nothing.
The older versions require a separate power source ( or you have to trick the iPad into thinking it is getting enough power) . I use a Plugable hub ( see "my stuff" thread for info) in between the camera adapter and the Dragonfly when I am not plugged directly into power.

Below is a link to the hub:

Plugable hub on Amazon

I also have a few articles on my website on this subject if you don't want to buy a new DAC:

http://www.uofmtiger.com/blog/lightning-to-usb-with-dragonfly-dac

http://www.uofmtiger.com/blog/dragonfly-dac-with-iphone-update

Last edited:
Dont you have to also download Bit Perfect from the apple store in order for it to work?

Do you mean the Herus DAC? It works in my iPad Pro with no downloads necessary.
I liked it so well that I gave it as a gift and replaced it with a new Dragonfly Red (DFR) which is also very good. The DFR works fine with the Apple lightening/USB adaptor and lightening/USB 3.

Back
Top Bottom