Redboy's fuse-popping machine

Is that a selector switch you have there Nate? Looks like its inputs are connected to the secondaries of the transformers, and the output from the selector switch seems to go to the rectifiers.

Nice work - looking forward to seeing the final product.

Also, may I ask about the source for the chassis? Par-metal? I think I have seen similar chassis on ebay.
The chassis was an eBay purchase. I began this project some time ago, with a couple of false starts along the way - I initially thought I would repurpose an old chassis I had here, but I came to the realization that it would never look as nice as I wanted it to. This project box came from Hong Kong, flat-packed in six separate pieces with all the necessary hardware to put it together and a fused IEC input for the back panel. It's anodized aluminum, very nice to work with, and very sturdy when all built up. That front panel (the silver piece) is nearly 10mm thick! Reasonably priced, too - do an eBay search for "JC2210" and it'll pop right up.

I guess the diodes really only need a good holdin' down as opposed to a good heatsinking in this case, so thermal paste might be optional. Good looking build!

az
Thanks az!

Look at it this way. You must be 100% successful if you started out to build a power supply. You can't pop a fuse without power right? Congratulations Mang :thmbsp:

The fuse popping stage is my least favorite of all the steps in building electronic gear:)

Look at it this way. You must be 100% successful if you started out to build a power supply. You can't pop a fuse without power right? Congratulations Mang :thmbsp:
Jeepers, where did they find this guy?!

I like him. :yes:

The fuse popping stage is my least favorite of all the steps in building electronic gear:)
No kidding. I hate troubleshooting, would much prefer that things work right the first time, every time.

A man can dream...

This is driving me nuts...

OK, so what is the purpose of the selector, it appears to offer a range of power from the transformer secondaries. What the heck is it?

OK, so what is the purpose of the selector, it appears to offer a range of power from the transformer secondaries. What the heck is it?

That determines how many amp fuse will pop. Just like a volume knob. the further you turn it up the more you get. Heck, after a couple beers you could play with this thing all evening.

Two transformers, a couple of chokes, several diodes and a knob. I've got it figured out.

Nope, but if I bypass the fuse it makes a heckuva hot dog cooker! :banana:

just don't poke your eye out with that thing!
4642312841_426306b4a3_z.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's funny.

My parts didn't arrive yesterday, so this thing gets pushed out for a few more days.

Who wants another clue?

Back
Top Bottom