Redboy's "other paths travelled"

Redboy

a few good watts
Subscriber
My main system is in another thread (here).

Unlike some here, I don't have a second system so I rotate stuff through the main. Some of it stays, some of it goes, and some of it finds a place on the "reserve" shelf.

This thread will be a compendium of pictures of some of the "other" stuff.

CLICK ON THE PICTURES for the threads behind them. :)

Last edited:
DIY Stuff

Here's some of the stuff I've built in the past few years...

Last edited:
Which drivers do those speakers halfway down use? Are they wide/full-range? Im a sucker for those types :).

Which drivers do those speakers halfway down use? Are they wide/full-range? Im a sucker for those types :).
They're Tannoys. If you click on the picture itself, it will take you to the build thread - the "story behind the picture."

Same goes for the other pictures in this thread. :)

You Sir, have real talent!!!

MY DIY stuff looks like it was done with a chainsaw and an arc welder by comparison......................

Steve

Very nice gear and craftsmanship. I would love to hear some of your gear someday. Weren't you working on some kind of amplifier where you milled out some tube sockets in plate aluminum? This would have been about a year ago.

RedBoy,

I may have missed it completely, but what was the final conclusion of your Wonder-Blunder Tonearm? Did you get to a point where you were happy with it, or did you end up ultimately dissatisfied with the project?

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm the happy new owner of the amp in the bottom picture of post #2. I could not be happier with that amp. It looks great but it sounds even better.:yes::thmbsp:

great DIY gear, great thread, and I always thought you were supposed to tape the penny to the top of the tonearm!

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

Very nice gear and craftsmanship. I would love to hear some of your gear someday. Weren't you working on some kind of amplifier where you milled out some tube sockets in plate aluminum? This would have been about a year ago.
Those were my EL84 monoblocks, which I finished in May last year. Check out my system thread for some more details on those. They're my main amps at the moment, and I really like them. I suspect they'll be unseated at some point later this year by a real DHT amp (or amps), but these little things are in the running.

RedBoy,

I may have missed it completely, but what was the final conclusion of your Wonder-Blunder Tonearm? Did you get to a point where you were happy with it, or did you end up ultimately dissatisfied with the project?

Best Regards,
TerryO
Terry, that exercise was really just that - an exercise to see if I could build a functioning tonearm. It functioned, but it wasn't all that special. It was also really fiddly and had a tendency to fall off the pivot, a dangerous proposition for the cartridge involved. I still have it but I didn't take it any farther than you saw in the thread.

great DIY gear, great thread, and I always thought you were supposed to tape the penny to the top of the tonearm!
When you tape a penny to the headshell, it cheapens it. But when you make the headshell out of a penny, that's money baby! :D

Back
Top Bottom