Redboy's setup from the audio underground

Just curious Nate, which wires are you using with that system? Speaker cabłe, interconnects and power cables if you don't mind sharing.

Just curious Nate, which wires are you using with that system? Speaker cabłe, interconnects and power cables if you don't mind sharing.

Wires are a mixed bag. For speaker cables I generally like smaller gauge solid core wire, either silver or high purity copper. I'm about to try something different there, so I'll report back later.

My ICs are random stuff but mostly nice quality.

Power cords are still el cheapo craptastic stuff of the garden variety.

I have some opportunities...

I ask because I saw the speaker cables you have on barter town and also an old thread where you were looking at getting some Nordost IC's.

Ah, yes. The Auditorium A23 cables were very nice indeed, but I've been using solid core silver lately to good effect, and saw the A23s as an income source for the next thing.

The Nordost were really nice too and I used them for quit a while, but I'd like to try rolling my own ICs for a change. There's some Neotech wire that looks very promising...

Ah, yes. The Auditorium A23 cables were very nice indeed, but I've been using solid core silver lately to good effect, and saw the A23s as an income source for the next thing.

The Nordost were really nice too and I used them for quit a while, but I'd like to try rolling my own ICs for a change. There's some Neotech wire that looks very promising...

Interesting. I see that take five audio carries neotech, mogami, cardas, viablue and other cabling as well as all the other bits that would be needed to cook up a set of cables. :scratch2:

Once I get things a little more finalized around here, I may join you.

Last edited:
Oops - I guess I had brought back an old thread of yours. Thanks for linking the latest :D What an awesome journey - I'm looking forward to continuing to follow this thread!

I built up a couple more SUT boxes recently... These make a fun project, and I like trying different "flavors" of vintage input trafos...

F162F595-7741-4CDD-B886-0789AC38ADD4_zpsqrpisrbq.jpg~original

And how about a family shot? :)

4C1E4B09-E414-42A8-B386-F09568E40C72_zpssvdohfcg.jpg~original

Last edited:
Hey, whoooaa! you're holding out on us Nate. I clearly see a (phono) pre, with your stylings all over it. Time to dish, nothing has been posted on sites you prowl.

Keep this up Nate and you'll have enough for a SUT chess set!

I really like those little die cast boxes, simple and solid

Hey, whoooaa! you're holding out on us Nate. I clearly see a (phono) pre, with your stylings all over it. Time to dish, nothing has been posted on sites you prowl.

It's just a Bottlehead Seduction, or my take on one, anyway. I did post some pics in this very thread, awhile back...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7249268

I am working toward a different phono pre, though. I've had a hankerin' to try some octals for a change.

Sorry for my ignorance but what are SUT boxes used for?

cubdog

An SUT is a Step Up Transformer, basically a small signal transformer to provide a "step up" for a low output cartridge. The box is all passive, just providing an easy way to plug the transformers into your system.

awesome, just got my first sut myself. Bob's devices. man do these rock a mc!

An SUT is a Step Up Transformer, basically a small signal transformer to provide a "step up" for a low output cartridge. The box is all passive, just providing an easy way to plug the transformers into your system.

Got it, thanks. I did look up SUT but didn't find anything so I had to ask.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom