Redboy's setup from the audio underground

I'm going to be tearing some of this setup down soon, so I thought I'd share this video as a "current" snapshot (it's from last year).

Yes, it's a crappy YouTube video. No, the sound isn't great... and I put about three minutes of effort into it, so neither is the video quality. :)

Enjoy!

I'm going to be tearing some of this setup down soon, so I thought I'd share this video as a "current" snapshot (it's from last year).

Yes, it's a crappy YouTube video. No, the sound isn't great... and I put about three minutes of effort into it, so neither is the video quality. :)

Enjoy!

Changing components, downsizing, or moving?

Front end is a-changin'...

29248914717_395e7eedc1_h.jpg

Please, what is a TVC? It looks to be able to switch between inputs and control volume so I am assuming it to be some sort of pre-amp or volume control unit. Thanks for educating me.

Once again, great work Red.
Hey Dennis, how's it going? :)

Please, what is a TVC? It looks to be able to switch between inputs and control volume so I am assuming it to be some sort of pre-amp or volume control unit. Thanks for educating me.
Your assumption is correct! TVC stands for Transformer Volume Control.

In most audio components, volume is controlled (or attenuated) with a potentiometer; when you turn the knob, a slider on a track increases or decreases the amount of resistance between your source and the amplifier (or whichever component is downstream).

A TVC does the same job, but with a transformer instead of a potentiometer - turning the knob selects from multiple secondary taps on the transformer.

It's not a new idea -- Western Electric used transformers in this way back at the dawn of electronic sound reproduction -- but a transformer is necessarily more complicated and thus more expensive to make than a pot(entiometer). A TVC is by far my favorite way to attenuate a signal. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom