REDOING HERESY CABINETS USING CARPATHIAN ELM BURL

longdrive03

Next project in the chute is a walnut cabinet Heresy redo. Cabinets were nicked up and water spots so doing new veneer. Pics show where I cut off the front edges of the sides, top and bottom so the motorboard is flat. Sanded paint offer and installed neo magnets using epoxy. I will cover the front with CEB and then attach new front edges and veneer the tops and sides to overlap the front edges. New 1/4" masonite grill frames with magnets epoxied in. Will post as I proceed. Here's a pic of the CEB with some alcohol spritzed on it.

Had that veneer in a Jaguar once. Absolutely intoxicating!

index.php

index.php

Thanks guys will do. I got the veneer on one front last night and will trim tonight and clean up and photo and post then do the second one.

Looks great! I have not done veneer but plan to do a receiver case soon. How do you stick it? Glue or is this peel and stick?

How do you do the corners? I think there's a special little razor tool for relieving corners, or do you have another method?

:lurk: I want to keep an eye on this thread, I have a re-veneer project I'm contemplating.

Thanks guys. On the corners I do an overlap of the tarp over the sides. This veneer is sticker than most. It has a wood backing on it and therefore is almost like very thin plywood. Are usually send down along the edges of the cabinets on the veneer. Are use headlock the near blue and a clothes iron with the T-shirt. It works well. Then flush trim and sand. Here’s a pic of the front on the first one without sanding and finishing.

Attachments

• 92F49D03-E2C3-4FD8-BD4E-709BFDD7E9B3.jpeg
    92F49D03-E2C3-4FD8-BD4E-709BFDD7E9B3.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for the compliment guys. I attach the front trim pieces that will form the grill frame. I used veneer on the inside trim to match the front. I have one side of both speakers veneered and clamped and will attach the other sides and tops tomorrow. Then it’s sand and trim time the finish time using wipe on Poly satin

Attachments

• 28C6369D-A2B4-4F50-8934-6E405B851371.jpeg
    28C6369D-A2B4-4F50-8934-6E405B851371.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 34803F25-B66A-48F4-8113-547AC5BE786F.jpeg
    34803F25-B66A-48F4-8113-547AC5BE786F.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
Update. Everything veneer but still need to flush trim the front trim. Will do that tonight and start applying wipe on poly. This type veneer has some voids by nature so can't decide if I should fill them in or leave it natural. Right now I'm thinking natural.

Any opinions????

Pics show finish nails held on by the hidden neo magnets.

Attachments

• IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 77
Could you list the tools, including adhesive used in your refurbishing of the cabinets?

Jcamero. I used my Ridgid TS3650 tables saw to cut off the 5/8" extension of the top, bottom and sides on the front i.e. the "lip". Used Dewalt random orbit sander with 60 grit paper to sand down the damages walnut veneer, used Dewalt miter saw to cut the miters on the new front edge trim, Heatlock veneer glue (go to Joe Woodworks/Veneer supplies) and applied it with a glue roller from Joe's on the veneer and then the cabinet. Used Walmart (or as we say in the South "Walmarts") and tshirt to iron on the veneer (the iron heat activates the glue - you have about 6 hours max to iron in on after application), Harbor Freight mini hand router with 1/4" flush trim bit to trim overhang of veneer edges, hand sanded with 220 then 500 grit, then started applying Minwax Wipe-On Poly satin using Harbor Freight staining pads.

That about covers it.

Excellent, thanks for the detailed description. It helps me too because I'm considering some veneer work and have never done it.

I had not thought of using a router with flush trim bit to get the overhangs. I guess you would have to be organized as far as which side you glued on first so the edge comes out where you want it - or does that matter? Do you veneer one side, trim with the router, then do the adjacent side and let it overhang from that side and then trim that off, or what?

Thanks guys. Tox I prep and veneer the sides first, flush trim all around then prep the top which will overhang the sides, front and back then flush trim then apply the front edge veneer and flush trim it inside and outside.

Back
Top Bottom