Redundant upgrade question:

spiralmind

Hi, all. It's been a while since my last post, but since getting an decent audio system, the upgrade bug continues to bite. I am running a Marantz PM5005 integrated amp which is going through a Peachtree DAC-ITx. Afterwards it is going into a pair of Def Tech BP10s (the old ones). Source material is coming from my laptop (320kbps sound quality). Speaker wires are 12-gauge, patch cords are all premium, so is the power conditioner. Tried a small (10") sub once, the Def Techs did not really need the extra bass augmentation. Just wondering if there are any sound quality upgrades (even cheap ones) that anyone could recommend, apart from Foobar (the interface is daunting). Thinking about picking up spikes for the speakers, placement seems to be okay. Just came into a little money for my birthday and this was the first thing that came to mind. Not looking to sell my integrated amp or speakers. Already have an EQ, it's in storage, as well.Thanks

I'd look into seeing if it's possible to upgrade to BP10Bs (swapping out the old silk tweeters for the newer aluminum). Not sure if's a simple drop in replacement or if crossover updates are required. I know some people don't like metal domes, so I don't know if this is the right path for you, but figured I'd put it out there. Presumably Definitive found the aluminum to be a better fit, since they've been selling the BP-10B for 20 years or so, pretty much unchanged.

eBay has a few currently up (although I'm not sure if they're all the same). I'd first contact Definitive support and see if's a plug and play upgrade, or if crossover mods are necessary (Definitive's support is great). You could also ask which tweeters from other models would work, and how much it would cost to purchase directly from Definitive.

Good luck.

ETA: OK, I did a little searching for you and found this earlier thread, which indicates that upgrading from silk to aluminum requires a different crossover, so you may be out of luck in this regard. However, it still couldn't hurt to contact Def Tech and see if they have any recommendations.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you! If there's no luck, that's okay! No problem with the speakers, they are playing Steely Dan now and sounding fabulous.

The room, if your allowed to make changes, typically those changes are freebies. Work the room if your happy with the system!

:beerchug:

The room, if your allowed to make changes, typically those changes are freebies. Work the room if your happy with the system!

:beerchug:
Not much room (pardon the pun) for that. Only one of the outlets is grounded, my old power conditioner took a dive form being plugged into an un-grounded outlet. This is the best possible place after a lot of tweaking. Thanks, though!

I hate to sound like I'm pushing Def Tech support, but if it's spikes you desire, contact them and they'll probably send you a set free of charge (these speakers originally came with them).

I hate to sound like I'm pushing Def Tech support, but if it's spikes you desire, contact them and they'll probably send you a set free of charge (these speakers originally came with them).
Wow, thanks! Time to get a hold of Def Tech support!

Not much room (pardon the pun) for that. Only one of the outlets is grounded, my old power conditioner took a dive form being plugged into an un-grounded outlet. This is the best possible place after a lot of tweaking. Thanks, though!

Speaker toe-in/out. Furniture position and materials, window treatments, floor coverings, etc. I swapped chairs from one room to another once and made a noticeable improvement for the better. If your happy with your gear part of the hobby now jump into the listening space tweaks part of the hobby.

Edit: and the spikes would be part of that

I maybe the King of no room. its doable in any room.

IMG_3391.JPG

Two tube amps? Bi-Amped, eh?

Tried toeing in. Funny thing is, the speakers sound better pointed straight ahead than toed in at the listening position!!
I am talking about the things the significant other is in charge of, furniture, drapes, wall art etc. That is why I said if your allowed in my first post. :)

For example?

I had a nice Morris chair in my last big room but had some reflection issues. swapped it with an overstuffed chair I already had, bingo "that sounds better". It was a hard room. Plaster, stranded Bamboo floors. Heavy window coverings, fat chair and area rug and it was good to go. Just some examples. Lots of info on the interwebs, search for room treatments.

Edit: It got even better with conservation use of some homemade rock wool filled "Art" on the wall

Last edited:
I had a nice Morris chair in my last big room but had some reflection issues. swapped it with an overstuffed chair I already had, bingo "that sounds better". It was a hard room. Plaster, stranded Bamboo floors. Heavy window coverings, fat chair and area rug and it was good to go. Just some examples. Lots of info on the interwebs, search for room treatments.

Edit: It got even better with conservation use of some homemade rock wool filled "Art" on the wall
Got a papasan chair with a nice microfiber cushion, no obstructions between the system and the listening space.

Back
Top Bottom