Reel tape storage show me yours

7miles

I find all kinds of threads on vinyl and cd storage.....But can't seem to find anything on r to r tape storage.....So what kind of shelf or other ideas do you guys have or use??? Pictures would be great.

I have a couple. One is a unit based on a Thomas Jefferson book case, but sized to reels and CDs.

The other type I recently built are more for transport and storage out of main areas. These are some boxes I made out of pine and plywood. Enhanced with some stencils.

Click images for larger view

A different kind of storage, for reels without a box. This is danish cookies and reels.

Danish%2520cookies%25201.jpg

I don't have great pictures, but you get the drift. The tapes in the square cubby are tapes I don't like as much, that's why some of them are stacked vertically (I know that's not great for them). They don't get used, so it doesn't matter to me. That is my room back home in CO, up here I just store them on edge on shelves, 10.5" reels are in a different spot due to a low shelf.

WP_001589.jpg

WP_001588.jpg

Hey guys....Great, these are some great ideas....I really like the tin for lose reels

Adjustable bookshelves, which I adjusted for 7" reel box height :D

64fdae2ca4b3dcc07929dc09cd334f9f_zps0f912cb1.jpg

Last edited:
I got nothing special. My CWD stereo cabinet has drawers that hold the cassettes, two high for max capacity in the deep drawers or one high for full viewing in the shallow drawers. Yes, some are not needed as often as others. The drawers with two layers, the top layer is in some boxes one gets at Costco that are sturdy and hold a couple rows each and two boxes fit into the drawer side by side. Makes it easy to pull out a good selection or to reach down and grab an oldie but goodie.

The reels are in the cabinet below the system, each cabinet has two rows, top shelf and bottom shelf as these are the 10½" reels, The few 7" reels I have are stacked around the big reels.

So all the tapes are enclosed and should stay nice and less dusty than if they were out. LPs and CDs are on the opposite wall in open Franklin Mint record storage boxes. These are stacked four high per side open side facing the room. Tough getting to the bottom box selections compared to the rest but the software is available to view and play. Tapes are just better protected.

Hey I found a picture of that unit. The CDs and Records are now on the other end of the room instead of behind the speakers. The reels are under the center section and the cassettes are in the right hand drawers. A few double layers in those drawers. And since you didn't ask the MDs are in a unit on the side of the room. Maybe I need a library.

Attachments

• Main Rig.jpg
    Main Rig.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Nothing special, just some adjustable MDF shelving from Menards. I would note that they have been up and loaded for over five years with very little warping. Looks like I may have to flip that one shelf at some point. Not the most attractive solution, but very practical (and cheap).

Attachments

• tape storage.jpg
    tape storage.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 91
This store bought shelving for CD/DVD's is the perfect size for 7inch reels. Most of these units have fixed shelving but do the job perfectly for me.

Attachments

• SAM_0507.jpg
    SAM_0507.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 127
  • SAM_0508.jpg
    SAM_0508.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 100
I've been using speaker boxes as modular storage for tapes and LP's.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The lateral file under the Akai's works very well, too.

attachment.php

OK so I am seeing most tapes stored vertically but someone said that is bad for the tape? Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom