Reel to Reel tape swap where everyone sends out a blank tape?

publicenemy3

An idea I had while reading the tape swap thread. At first I thought that was what the original thread was until I read it a little better.

So everyone has a reel full of blank tape, they each send it to the next person on the list. When the tape arrives you listen to what others have recorded, record your song or two or three, then send it off to the next guy. When you get your original tape back it is filled with other peoples music recorded on different machines, preferably at the same speed.

I only have the capability to record/play 7 inch reels.

It might be hard to do with the other tape swap running at the same time if the same people want to be involved though...could get confusing as hell.

Would there be any interest in something like this or should I just join the regular tape swap when the current one ends?

Final List (confirmed)
publicenemy3
jmiles1960
Luthierman
krisjay
eddisc
FAB1
geartech

Last edited:
I would assume that a list is compiled of people who are interested, they either pm or email me their addresses, then I would arrange the list so that the tapes travel in a circle like shape around the country. No sense in having one tape bounce back and forth across the country.

Every tape you get in the mail you would send to the same person until you receive your tape.

Something like this, if I'm A then I send to B, if you're K then you send to L.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 51
I like this idea. I had the same thoughts when I saw the thread you are referring to. I might even say that we would be limited to one track at a time depending on how many want to partake in this swap. I think in the first steps perhaps there could be one tape sent out until it is full. I dunno, I am just throwing stuff out there.

Edit: Never mind, it makes way more sense to have everyone send out a blank, then when it returns, you have a mix tape. I suppose this way we would all potentially end up with a different tape (music selections) than someone else in this swap.

Sounds fun, but playing the devils advocate I'd allow more than a year for a dozen people to make a full round doing that. No kidding and not crapping on the time it takes the current swap, that's just how it is.

One suggestion ---- The owner of a tape could put a note in the box with the tape stating what type of music he likes and does not like. Therefore for instance I Hate rap & jazz! Please give me oldies and some older country music.

That's a good suggestion JHS2RT, I hadn't thought of that. We also have to make sure that the tapes are easily identifiable.

About 45 minutes per side, +/-5 minutes per song, that's +/- 9 songs per side.

Having never done the current swap I have no idea how long it would realistically take, and I read about how much of a logistical nightmare it can become. I figure it would go quickly in the beginning and slow as the content builds up on the tapes. I can probably spare one reel of tape for a year.

Sounds fun, but playing the devils advocate I'd allow more than a year for a dozen people to make a full round doing that. No kidding and not crapping on the time it takes the current swap, that's just how it is.

I agree with Meggy, we started out with 10 members on this round two have dropped out (moved etc.) so we had to mail around them. In 5 months I have listened to 4 tapes. Not everyone is retired like me and getting to a Post Office during the week if you have a real job can be a P.I.A. and cause a delay.

Hi Guys - I am in the current reel swap so thought I would chime in. The idea of a "blank tape" rotation is interesting. The mechanics would be essentially the same as the recorded tape swap and I would anticipate the time it takes to complete a rotation to be about the same.

And if you didnt like the mix you get - erase it!

I'd be interested in swapping reel to reel music. We're talking mix-music tapes of whatever your favorite artists, genre, songs, etc.. right?

Sounds good to me. Let me know if I can join the group.

Add me to the list. This will be cool to record a track or two and pass it on.
Fab,Meggy and I know what to expect as far as how long it will take. Everyone sends one blank with a few tracks you choose and pass it on. When you get your tape back you will have a Real Mix...:D 7" 1/4 track @ 7 1/2 ips. Now who be the moderator on this one??? Someone will have to "Step Up" and run it. Now who has the most experience doing this:scratch2: everyone but Fab take one step Back.:D j/k he has enough going on dealing with the other swap.

Well I would be willing to moderate it, unless someone with more experience from the other swap would like to.

It seems pretty strait forward, the list is arranged in a circular fashion, when you receive a tape you listen to it and record your songs, when finished you send the tape to your person (A->B, B->C), when you get your tape back, that's it.

I have added a preliminary list to the top of the thread. I don't know when we will be ready to start this or who will be moderating. If you would like to be added or removed from the list just say so.

Who ever takes charge also has to look at where everyone lives and adjust the rotation so everyone that is close to another member sends or receives to them first and so on. It saves delivery time and expense. If someone drops (many reasons) the Mod has to re-adjust the rotation list and PM the members effected by the adjustment.

I recently got a RTR,
Sanyo, MR-929 MK2,
7" reels,
no speed indicator, what is its speed ?
I would be interested in taking part.

BTW, I'm on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

Suggestion - Sender records their mix on Side 1: Receiver returns with their mix on Side 2.

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to new music from all genres. Count me. Will be glad to help.

Jim

Suggestion - Sender records their mix on Side 1: Receiver returns with their mix on Side 2.

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to new music from all genres. Count me. Will be glad to help.

Jim

Jim I was thinking if 8 or less members were in rotation everyone sends a blank with with several track recorded and pass it on etc. You record a few tracks on everyones tape that comes to you. Did mean the same but but the sender records a few tracks on one side and mails it on the receiver of it records a few tracks on the other side.:scratch2: If 8 are in the rotation you get to record a few tracks on each tape until your tape makes it way back to you and then you you have a mix tape from the group. My guess would be to Not record the same songs on every tape that you receive to really mix it up good:scratch2: Louis

I recently got a RTR,
Sanyo, MR-929 MK2,
7" reels,
no speed indicator, what is its speed ?
I would be interested in taking part.

BTW, I'm on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=411430

Some info on a machine like yours here. Apparently you can change the speed by unscrewing the capstan sleeve.

I checked the price to ship from me over to you, it's doable on my end as long as the rotation stays small. 8 or less seems like a good range.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=411430

Some info on a machine like yours here. Apparently you can change the speed by unscrewing the capstan sleeve.

I checked the price to ship from me over to you, it's doable on my end as long as the rotation stays small. 8 or less seems like a good range.

Yes :yes: Just like my Akai GX4000D install the sleeve and it plays 7 1/2 IPS, remove the sleeve and it plays 3 3/4 IPS speed. Your recordings will sound better at 7 1/2 and most of the old pre-recorded R2R tapes were 3 3/4 for going back old school.

This isn't going to work very well unless the rotation has everyone using the same brand of tape, due to the different machine setups and biases. If everyone's not using the same tape stock, and have their machine set up to record properly on it, there is going to be a tremendous variation in the quality of the recordings. (at least that seems to me)

Just offering that concept as something to think about.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom