Reeves Soundcraft tapes...gifts...opinions

centsless

A buddy of mine gave me about seven RTR tapes of long ago and need some opinion on these. Manufacture is Reeves Soundcraft....the tape is Mylar...and only 900 feet on five inch wheels. All recording tapes with music on them.

Are they even worth messing with?....as I know so little on this subject. Pic shows the box. Tapes look excellent. Thanks for any replies.20180411_180325.jpg

In the older days, Reeves Soundcraft tape was very excellent. Contemporary and Riverside Records of jazz fame recorded their masters on it.

You can use a 7" empty reel if you have one. I've got tons so if you need one just let me know.

for *me*, unless they are 3-3/4 or slower, I'd dub then onto something I don't have to get up & change every 12-16 minutes...the titles look promising...!!

You can use a 7" empty reel if you have one. I've got tons so if you need one just let me know.

I have only recently been playing an Akai GX 650D that was given to me so only have two ten inch reels. A Maxwell came with it and bought a Capture 930...I think is the number...so no other reels.

I am going to see him today and will ask if he has an empty reel. I looked over these tapes last night and look really nice. He had them stored for over thirty years.

Reeves Soundcraft became Columbia Magnetics in the early '70s. Yep, that Columbia.

When tape started becoming popular - due to reel, 8T and cassette - the Big Three record companies all bought tape manufacturers. Capitol famously bought Audio Magnetics, RCA bought Tarzian Industries, and Columbia bought Reeves. And then Ampex - probably the biggest independent duplicator - bought Orradio/Irish.

Reeves Soundcraft became Columbia Magnetics in the early '70s. Yep, that Columbia.

When tape started becoming popular - due to reel, 8T and cassette - the Big Three record companies all bought tape manufacturers. Capitol famously bought Audio Magnetics, RCA bought Tarzian Industries, and Columbia bought Reeves. And then Ampex - probably the biggest independent duplicator - bought Orradio/Irish.

Capitol did not buy Audio Magnetics, they bought Audio Devices, Inc who made AudioTape and AudioDiscs. Which became Capitol Magnetics, Inc. Ampex bought Orradio/Irish in 1959 ahead of RCA, Capitol, and Columbia. Audio Magnetics was bought by Mattel, the toy company.

Capitol did not buy Audio Magnetics, they bought Audio Devices, Inc who made AudioTape and AudioDiscs. Which became Capitol Magnetics, Inc. Ampex bought Orradio/Irish in 1959 ahead of RCA, Capitol, and Columbia. Audio Magnetics was bought by Mattel, the toy company.

Yep, senior moment - Audio Devices, not Audio Magnetics.

The only one I've never been able to pin down is Liberty/UA's facility in Omaha. As one of the largest duplicators other than the Big Three, it seems logical they'd have bought a manufacturer. Their tape certainly looks different - more Japanese than American - but I've never found anything on its origin.

Back
Top Bottom