Reference Five 10'' Foam Edge Replacement

Tristanator

Hi guys,

I just started doing a replacement of the foam edge on my Reference Five woofers. I was able to use the Alan Key to lift the speakers from the box, however they are attached by the + and - wires. This is a really silly question I'm sure, but I don't want to risk doing any damage. How do you disconnect the wires? Do you just pull the two metal pieces apart or does it involve cutting the wires?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7457.JPG
    IMG_7457.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 10
They should just slide off (they didn't solder the connectors in the Reference series). However, don't just pull the connector off - hold the terminal strip in one hand and pull with the other (have someone else hold the woofer for you. The terminal strips are pretty weak and can break easily. If there's enough room, hold the terminal, rather than the terminal strip, with needlenose pliers .

Ok, this is easy....right at the end of the RED wire it changes to a gold metal...this is a crimp on fastener.
Where the metal is thinnest, near the red wire, grip there and pull the connector off. Like swechsler mentioned, the white piece with two wires off both sides, needs to be secured while pulling the connectors off.
Oh, and make sure you put the two wires back on correctly, one wire is red, one is red with black stripe...nice thing is, you can refer back to the picture you posted when you go to reconnect the wires.

Last edited:
They should just slide off (they didn't solder the connectors in the Reference series). However, don't just pull the connector off - hold the terminal strip in one hand and pull with the other (have someone else hold the woofer for you. The terminal strips are pretty weak and can break easily. If there's enough room, hold the terminal, rather than the terminal strip, with needlenose pliers .

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I did exactly what you said tonight and it worked perfectly! Thanks again

Ok, this is easy....right at the end of the RED wire it changes to a gold metal...this is a crimp on fastener.
Where the metal is thinnest, near the red wire, grip there and pull the connector off. Like swechsler mentioned, the white piece with two wires off both sides, needs to be secured while pulling the connectors off.
Oh, and make sure you put the two wires back on correctly, one wire is red, one is red with black stripe...nice thing is, you can refer back to the picture you posted when you go to reconnect the wires.

Thank you! These instructions were perfect along with Swechsler's. I did it tonight and it worked perfectly. Much obliged

Back
Top Bottom