Reference Studio Monitor + RS6b 'Infinity Stack' ?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by E.Man, Dec 20, 2011.

1. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

Hi all

At Xmas I will be picking up a pair of Reference Studio Monitors. I currently have a pair of RS6bs. The main difference I see from the specs is the bigger driver on the RSMs. I'm just having a little fantasy about making a 'stack' by turning the RSMs upside down, dis-engaging the tweeter that ends up near the floor and then puting the RS6s on top. I would drive them with 'speakers A+B' function.
    Obviously I will give them a listen independently first.

What sound difference might I expect between the 2 models and are there any technical problems with the 'stack' idea ?

thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. wwiztab

wwiztab Active Member

I actually started my Infinity collection with the RS6b's, then moved to RSb's, and now have RSM's. Each time i changed models the sounds has gotten better. The RSb's were a much better speaker then the RS6b's. Much better bass response. Then I found the RSM's and they were better yet. A larger cone is always better in my book. Mine are powered by a Pioneer SA-8500 and rumble the house. I can listen to them all day and my ears are not fatigued at all. Since the recap they keep getting better. I wouldn't do anything accept build the stands I did and recap them. You'll be set with the RSM's until you go bigger.

Stand Thread
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=354905

Recap Thread
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=381357

3. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

Well then if the RSM's are in good order, from your experience, they should just be better than the RS6's by themselves.
    It will be interesting then to hear if the 'stack' is better than just the RSM's.
    I am running a 40watt amp on each channel. I have a 150watt amp in the repair shop to put in.
    Thanks for the links. Looks like you just saved my funny 'Infinity Style' stands from going gone.
    Re-capping ? No way. I don't even understand what you're saying on that thread.

4. wwiztab

wwiztab Active Member

Don't throw the Infinity stands away. They are very hard to come by and are worth some money. When you're sitting in a chair or couch the angle and height is good for listening. That's why Infinity designed them that way.

As far as stacking, you can try it. I think you'll find that there is a reason Infinity engineers didn't design a speaker like that.

Maybe look for a pair of RSII a or b's, RSIII a or b's. They have two woofers a piece and multiple mids and tweets.

Not sure what you're trying to achieve.

If you bi-amp them which you should do, they need to be similar amps. If one output level increases faster then the other you'll notice it. They have to act as one speaker or they will not sound good.

You could connect the speakers in series and use one amp which would take them up around 10 - 12 ohms and then they would act as one speaker.

5. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I haven't had much luck mixing speakers, there's always weird interference with some frequencies amplified and others cancelled. I have stacked two pairs of recapped Qbs with success, however.

6. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

Just trying to use all my toys at once, hahaha.
    Seeing as I will have 2 pairs I thought I might try using them ! Thought I might get a bigger sound by having more drivers.

My avatar is actually my front gate. Not much chance of finding floor standing Infinitys out here.

Good to hear from someone who's tried it, even if it didn't always work out.
    Looks like you got it to work with speakers of the same model tho.
    Did you try stacking Infinitys of differing models ?

7. albowlly

albowlly AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

E.Man,
    While having a bass driver on top is not ideal in theory, it seems to work for me. I have read of inverting stacks many times. Before you disconnect anything give it a try.

8. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

OK. My results.
    Agree with wwiztabn post #2. Yeah the big cone rumbles but I think also smoother all round. Very laid back. Something I may have to get used to. Makes the RS6s sound 'urgent'.
    The stack was 'bigger' (of course) but not better.

9. molecules01

molecules01 New Member

10. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

With that small of a listening room I hardly think you would need to stack any speakers, you must be wanting to go deaf before your time. Plus your hiding your meters on the Phase Linear 400's!

11. 432HzBob

432HzBob Super Member

Loving my RS6b's right now July '17, to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac on the venerable Techincs SLl1600, a GF3 Grado and a new 8MZ stick.
    Sounds amazing.. as good as we all remember it in the late 70's-early 80's.

Years after this thread began i find it and reply in the affirmitive to the idea of stacking.
    It works, even only as "furniture" 80% of the time.

These speakers are REALLY good sounding, especially stacked on top another.

I've done atop A-25's, CS-99's, 77's and now on some project cabs.

The key is to get them up in the air so they can really sing and open up the room when needed.
    Somewhere between the B&W and JBL qualities was Infinity's niche I've come to appreciate it even more after 30-40 years.

They hold their own against anything i've had or even heard for a long time and they still produce fantastic sound with a solid amp/.

. Infinity RS6B.jpg

12. liteagilis

liteagilis AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just traded my Thiel CS3's for a pair of RS6B's. I really wanted to move on from some of my sets of big speakers. I feel like I got the short value end of the trade, but I am excited to try these small-ish bookshelves. I always thought of Infinity's as ROCK speaker's. We'll see how the little guys do.

13. '59 Sound

'59 Sound New Member

Just noticed your post when searching for some old Infinity info. Curious to know how you ended up liking the RS6B's, and if they ended up being more than just a 'rock' speaker?

14. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

Since I started this thread years ago I have been using the RSM and RS6b in separate rooms.

Recently I stacked the RS6b inverted (to group the tweeters) on top of RS7. Only did it because the RS7 are a bit big for the intended use.
    These models are very close in specs. So far I've gained having dual 8" drivers. A quick A/B didn't show a big difference but I'll get around to a closer listen later.

15. liteagilis

liteagilis AK Subscriber Subscriber

Honestly. I don’t love them. The tweeter sounds so sterile. It’s accurate. But sterile. Bass is a little boomy/forced. I’d happily trade them for some ads 780’s in a second. I moved them behind a set of jbl l100t3’s even though the jbl’s are a little big for my space. They also need power. They barely functioned on my HeathKit w5m’s. They need lots (200 watts in my case) of solid state power

16. '59 Sound

'59 Sound New Member

Thank you for the replies guys, that info helps! I was thinking about buying some RS6B's I came across, due to somebody telling me I needed to up my speaker game and try an old pair of infinities. Sounds like I will not be able to give them the power they desire, and might not like the sound anyhow. Thank you for relaying your experience with these!

17. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

I did go up to 400w /ch SS with my RSM and they did respond. I then went to 40w tubes and it was more musical at 10% of the watts!
    The tubes did play well with the emit tweeter which was a bit hard with the SS.

My RS6B have a bit more open sound than the Rs7. They run a midrange dome versus a midrange cone.

Get a pair if they come up. You can only decide for yourself.