Refinishing cabs with danish oil

A TT with a wood plinth is a thing of beauty, and yours looks amazing!
wow thanks, I have been lusting actually for a new piano black tt for years, but I considered painting the old flat drab gray/brown, lower section gloss black. with the wood plinth.

You seem knowledgeable about wood finishes so I'm wondering if you know how to get the "reddish" tone in walnut, or pecan in this case. I've tried numerous stains on walnut but can't get that warm red tone. I don't have spray equipment so it would have to be hand applied.
Sorry about the tardiness of this reply. You may have already moved on with this project.

What you describe about the color of the wood is more to deal with "hue" than adding in a color through all the grain of the wood.

First the disclaimer: Certain wood species change color when exposed to UV light, some more than others. Cherry, Fir, and Maple would be good examples. I don't use Pecan at all but you may wish to research the attributes of Pecan under certain finishes and how UV factors in. As F-1 nut states, a dye may be a better solution if just changing the hue. Dyes can typically be applied in very dilute concentration to achieve certain results. I would suggest that you experiment with different dyes and stains on inconspicuous spots to see what can be done. I've been known to blend stains for different color results. Results are typically good and I try to keep in mind what aging is going to do and the wishes of my customers. There are many folks that want it exact to match what they have and they want it now, not willing to wait a couple of years for light to do it's thing. The customer is always right!

Interesting thread. I've got these CV DX-7 speakers that I really like, but they look like crap in my listening room.

MJP_7151-2_zps2578c49d.jpg

I would like to get them close to my repurposed entertainment center.

relaxation%20station_zpsgnavkkob.jpg

Any suggestions on staining/dyeing the veneer to match? I know nothing about staining wood, so you might have to explain the details. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Looks like you could expand further below be converting draws into more rack space for components. color is mahogany or a dark walnut?, hard to tell. Is that gin or vodka in the decanter? like a nice Irish Malt? This rack has possibilities, needs more booze for sure. Room for records in the side cabs below it looks.

Yep, there's a drawer under the turntable, and then album storage below that. Under the side pieces, there are wine racks that will hold 20 bottles of wine. I call this my "Relaxation Station."

MJP_7149-2_zps3136fa82.jpg

Looks like you could expand further below be converting draws into more rack space for components.

I'm working on it. I plan to have a rack/shelf built similar to the one hanging from the top, except this one will sit in the bottom of the unit where the turntable is pictured. I've got a 300DC amp, and 5030B tape deck that will go in the rack. I'll put the turntable on top of the rack. Four components and one turntable. I've just got to get three wooden cases for the components and I'll be good to go.

I was just looking at some Marantz HD 880's that I think would go nice with his set up, if not those the HD 770's

I un-boxed my 4312As last month, and have been wrestling with what to do for the finish. Linseed oil? Mineral oil blend? Wax? Nothing?

They have been in climate-controlled storage for the past couple of decades, no UV, humidity controlled, so they're basically new. The finish feels like new / fresh-sanded smooth, and the original matte finish (oil and wax originally I believe) is perfect.

Following this thread there seems to be a pretty high level of restoration and finishing knowledge.

I don't want to alter the appearance, but would like to keep them protected as well as possible. Is there something that would accomplish this or just leave them alone until they actually do need something?

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_212655979.jpg
    IMG_20170319_212655979.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20170320_172605772.jpg
    IMG_20170320_172605772.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm working on it. I plan to have a rack/shelf built similar to the one hanging from the top, except this one will sit in the bottom of the unit where the turntable is pictured. I've got a 300DC amp, and 5030B tape deck that will go in the rack. I'll put the turntable on top of the rack. Four components and one turntable. I've just got to get three wooden cases for the components and I'll be good to go.
Ive moved on to tubes for my main system, but I still use the Marantz 5020 I bought from you. The LED conversion you did makes my 5220 look like crap.

This is the current preservation method ... Obsessive you say? Maaaybe.

You know some people get excited dressing and undressing their speakers.... to each their own I guess :yikes:

are you sure there is a wax on your jbl's? Watco natural is a clear oil that you can use. I'm sure the wood is dry I'm sure others can chime in with their more experienced Opinion's

Back
Top Bottom