Refinishing wood Floor, Does Anyone Here have Recommendations 4 Polyurethane?

If you want a lot of bubbles, use the paint roller. Otherwise, a lambs wool pad would be better.

I use minwax non-water based in semi and a good foam brush to pull it, its somewhat self leveling. if I have to sand when matching old vs new wood, I used 400-600 and the last time I sand I brush the debris off the surface and into the cracks and urethane over it to match the oldness and ugliness of the joints.

ventilate well.

I use Minimax Poly. The oil based stuff, not water based. I read that the gloss is hard than semi-gloss, so if you want the harder finish but not gloss finish, your first coat is gloss with semi as second coat. I also use lamb wool pad.

Oh, I also use the dust from sanding to fill the gaps between board. Using a mustard/ketchup squeeze bottle, I drip poly on the saw dust. When thats dry, I do the whole floor. Otherwise, you run the risk of pulling the saw dust from the crack and spreading it all over the floor.

A couple pics of my gaps. I have big gaps. Lots of time on my knees with a squeeze bottle....

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

I used Bona products on my floors, and three plus years later, they still look great. The Bona traffic topcoat is what I used, and mixing/application was easy with a lambs wool applicator. Very durable.

Before....

IMG_20180726_155835898.jpg

By the way, this was todays project until I realized the sander was not operating correctly.

floor3.jpg

When I pulled the carpet up off of the floor I expected to see something similar but fortunately for me I didn't ... this is what I saw
And was very pleased after seeing this...

IMG_20180906_140121107_LL.jpg

Wow. So you didn't even have to sand it?? Lucky dog.

I pulled like 4 or 5 layers of flooring off that floor above. I think they laid new flooring in the 20's. Some nice Douglas Fir strip flooring. I saved that. The rest was layers of paneling (as underlayment) and a assortment of vinyl flooring.

BTW, it bothers me when people cover up nice wood flooring with wall to wall carpet. If you want carpet, throw down an area rug..... Make it easy for us wood lovers.

Re: gloss vs. satin... Wanted a satin finish on our 100-yr-old oak flooring. Recommendation was two coats gloss, with a top coat of satin. They said using multiple satin coats would look cloudy. This was for Minwax poly product. Came out very nice, so they must know what they're talking about.

Wow. So you didn't even have to sand it?? Lucky dog.

I pulled like 4 or 5 layers of flooring off that floor above. I think they laid new flooring in the 20's. Some nice Douglas Fir strip flooring. I saved that. The rest was layers of paneling (as underlayment) and a assortment of vinyl flooring.

BTW, it bothers me when people cover up nice wood flooring with wall to wall carpet. If you want carpet, throw down an area rug..... Make it easy for us wood lovers.
I'm going to be sanding it with a Rented 12x18 rectangular vibrating sander ...
I agree with you about everything

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom